Lt. Commander
# 11
08-20-2010, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.R.O.P.H.E.T.
[I got some Mk XI greens last night (two ground items and two space items in about 2 1/2 hours play plus some common XI items).]

I've also heard emblem gear is ridiculously priced especially since it seems to only be a little bit better than Mk X. Until I hear more positive news, I'm refusing my "promotion" to VA and sticking to "RA6" and mark of exploration purple gear (can't get the mark of honor pvp missions anymore but I got my purples from that store already).

VA-specific content seems to be fairly borked right now (even sifting through the trolls and whinging, the reasonably objective posts are not promising).
You can still do regular B'Tran dailies for Mk X very rares at Vice Admiral. So there's no real reason to refuse promotion. The Mk XI gear is slightly better. Insanely overpriced for how small the improvement is. But I have noticed that it is better to have Mk XI consoles and weapons. Jury's still out on the shields and deflectors. And they're the most overpriced. So it may be a long time before I ever bother with that. But a Mk XI weapon I was pleasantly surprised to find out was better. Overpriced at 30 emblems. But better than my Mk X.
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
I agree. And if MK XII's make this entire journey a waste of time ... that's going to anger a lot of people.

Yup. Something more akin to what they had at all the previous level bands.

That's what's so ... frustrating and confusing ... why did Vice Admiral break away completely from everything they'd done prior?

Consistency ... is a problem with this game.
Something you and I completely agree on! This is a banner day!

I don't understand why it seems like Vice Admiral became such an afterthought in Season 2, when it was one of the marquee things that Cryptic was promoting for Season 2. Where are the missions? Where is the entrance level Uncommon / Rare MK XI gear to get you ready to do the Vice Admiral STFs to get the Very Rare gear?

The whole setup is not only inconsistent with the rest of STO, it's inconsistent with typical MMO design! It's like the cart was put before the horse even evolved and was considered to pull the cart!

And another thing kinda stuck out for me last night too. My Executive Officer, Commander Wayne Kent, has been serving me for a while, and is a great officer. Yet, I can't promote him to the rank of Captain. Why is that? I'm not even talking about having Captain level abilities, I'm just talking about being able to identify him as a Captain in his rank insignia and such. It wouldn't be uncommon for an Admiral to have a Captain as a First Officer on his flagship, yet, I'm 2 steps away from CNC of Starfleet, and I'm stuck with a Commander?

It's the little things that I think Cryptic has dropped the ball on. Some things, like promoting your First Officer to Captain might not seem like much, but those little things complete the world that STO is trying to portray.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMattSchwab
Something you and I completely agree on! This is a banner day!
We both really like Star Trek. There's probably a ton more stuff we agree on.

Quote:
I don't understand why it seems like Vice Admiral became such an afterthought in Season 2, when it was one of the marquee things that Cryptic was promoting for Season 2. Where are the missions? Where is the entrance level Uncommon / Rare MK XI gear to get you ready to do the Vice Admiral STFs to get the Very Rare gear?
Yeah, it really did come out like a bit of an afterthought. For a level cap raise, it was, as you say ... inconsistent with MMO design.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Yeah, it really did come out like a bit of an afterthought. For a level cap raise, it was, as you say ... inconsistent with MMO design.
Everyone always seems to hate bringing up World of ********, but as a player of 6 years on that game, one thing I can say that WoW did very well (At least pre-WotLK super nerfs) was the end game, and the ramp up to end game.

For example, a typical player, going from 60 to 70 for example, would level, and take part in dungeons along the way, aquiring gear that would allow them, once they hit 70, to begin the harder dungeons. those harder dungeons would offer up the Level 70 rares that were necessary to progress any further, and some occasional Very Rare (or Epic) pieces which give you the boost you need to begin raiding. Then, you work the raids to get yourself totally geared in Epics, in order to attempt the harder raids.

It was a logical progression, which gave you not only a sense of purpose, but a sense of achievement as well.

But in STO, it seems like this progression has been spun on it's head, and it pretty much meaningless. It takes only a very short time to go from Rear Admiral to Vice Admiral, so you don't pick up full MK X along the way, and most of the Rear Admiral missions, don't even give rewards outside of XP and Merits. Then you get to Vice Admiral, and you have no intermediate step of being able to farm up your MK XI Rares, which leads to farming up your MK XI Very Rares. Instead, you just sorta slum around B-Tran, pick up some stuff over a long period of time and then look around and go "now what?"

The other thing that WoW did which made alot of sense was to provide "levels of contentment". By that, I mean a person could get into full Level 70 or Level 80 rares or entry level epics, and if they wanted, could call it good there. However, that's not really an option in STO, as the only MK XI gear offered by vendors is the Very Rares, which are not itemized optimally, and are far too costly. So, you either have to settle for the MK X Very Rares which are a Rank below, or you have to put in the effort and push hard to get that MK XI gear. There isn't really an in-between that could statisfy the casual gamer.

To me, this is something Cryptic needs to address, the middle ground.
Lt. Commander
It is not wear near that bad. They are not bound so they appear in the auction. Plus the XII uncommons in the game are just as good. Now that the drop have been fix for the Btran XI Uncommon will fill it in nothing flat.

Raised this before some people have kids, work, only play on weekends. Letting people buy 500 badge for the cost of Retro Refit is not nuts. LIMIT it to once per month per character so not overly upset the game. Any advantage would be sort lived for the reasons above. It is about playing the game not siting in front a of PC for hours grinding Badges.Gear is nice but should not be the focus of the game.A grinding Accolade can be given out the the purest. The era of the Collage kids running from class to jumping front of a PC and playing for 8 hours a day is gone
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeves
It is not wear near that bad. They are not bound so they appear in the auction. Plus the XII uncommons in the game are just as good. Now that the drop have been fix for the Btran XI Uncommon will fill it in nothing flat.

Raised this before some people have kids, work, only play on weekends. Letting people buy 500 badge for the cost of Retro Refit is not nuts. LIMIT it to once per month per character so not overly upset the game. Any advantage would be sort lived for the reasons above. It is about playing the game not siting in front a of PC for hours grinding Badges.Gear is nice but should not be the focus of the game.A grinding Accolade can be given out the the purest. The era of the Collage kids running from class to jumping front of a PC and playing for 8 hours a day is gone
I don't agree with your idea of selling Emblems in the C-Store.

However, I do agree with this:

Quote:
Raised this before some people have kids, work, only play on weekends.
and this:

Quote:
It is about playing the game not siting in front a of PC for hours grinding Badges.Gear is nice but should not be the focus of the game...The era of the Collage kids running from class to jumping front of a PC and playing for 8 hours a day is gone
I think some things need to change. It'll be Cryptic's task to figure out how to do that, and create an endgame atmosphere that allows everyone to succeed in their own way, and be happy with it. I just don't think the solution can involve buying your way there with the C-Store.
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMattSchwab
So I finally hit the rank of Vice Admiral yesterday, having started back in June. I see daily quests (3) which will grant me 7 Emblems a day. After getting 5 a day at Rear Admiral for MK X gear, I was thinking "Wow, I'll be geared up in no time!"

Then I went to Starbase 1 and discovered just how horribly wrong I was.

Are the prices on Emblem gear some sort of sick joke? A bug perhaps?

I did some simple math:

Outfit Billet for USS Coos Bay
Assault Cruiser

Fore Weapons: 4 Slots
Deflector Array
Shields
Impulse Engines
Aft Weapons: 4 Slots
Engineering Consoles: 4
Tactical Consoles: 3
Science Consoles: 2

Based on the billet above, and the established Emblem prices:

3 (Shields, Impulse Engines & Deflector) x 105 emblems = 315 emblems
8 (Fore and Aft Weapon Slots) x 30 emblems = 240 emblems
9 (Consoles, all) x 25 emblems = 225 emblems

Total = 780 emblems

How much time it would take a person to aquire 780 emblems at 7 emblems a day = 111.43 days (3.71 months)

Assumptions: Play each and every day, gain 7 emblems each and every day farming B-Tran and PvP dailies, 30 days in a month.
The funny part is that those 780 emblems are for only one toon.

Writing that last sentence made me shake my head at the very very poor design decisions made by cryptic in so many aspects of this game. There is no other way to describe it other that 'very very poor'. Any comparison I would draw would be that STO lacks innovation and clarity of purpose. The game suffers and Cryptic seems a mediocre company at best.

Let me be clear when I say that Cryptic had done an excellent job on many aspects of this game. Most of the story missions are great. Space combat is fun and pvp is engaging. I also get the impression that Cryptic does listen to the playerbase. However, VA was poorly designed and in no way was season 2 close to being finished. This is lack of consistency make Cryptic look bad.

This is not COH or whatever other games this company designs. The reason Cryptic bought the rights was to improve their brand name. I do not see this happening the way things are going.
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-20-2010, 03:47 PM
It is a deliberate attempt to slow us down due to the lack of content.
Lt. Commander
# 19 Badges in C-Store
08-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Never will happen. People leaving every time a new set of gear coming out is common. Saw this in WOW like clockwork. A person would kill them self to gear up. BOOM the patch comes out and people disappear. Hole sections of a guild would just stop logging on. Can you blame them? They spent weeks even months to build up there rouge and in one patch it all become junk.
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-20-2010, 04:23 PM
/signed.

I could rant about it, but what's the point. It's a fact, the Mk XI Gear purchased via Emblems is overpriced.

Three Solutions:

1) Decrease the price of the items. 25 for a console, 30 for a ship weapon? 25 for a ground gun? My arm, leg, soul, and first born for a deflector dish? Half those prices, *might* be acceptable. I'd say since the items are only 1-2% better, make the prices only 1-2% more than the Mk X items.

2) Increase the B'Train-VA and PvP to 5E each per day, like the old ones. That system worked, no reason to change it. We have lives, and often running those once a day is all we have time for. Trying to run B'Train-VA a 2nd time just for 1more Emblem? Not only is doing it more than I have to undesirable, it's often not possible. Keep that and the Fleet Actions, etc as a bonus to the hard-core games, I'm ok with it, but give us our 10$/Day with 1x Cluster and 1x PvP.

3) Offer a check-box style Mk XI Gear Reward for each of the new Pelia Missions (that myself and most everyone else has already done, mind you, so make the check boxes retroactive, pop up when I next log on, dump an equivalent amount of Emblems in my Assets window, or at least let me re-play them now). What happened to the Story Missions we had while leveling that came with XP, BO pts, Merits, and a 2-3 item choice of guaranteed loot? Why did those disappear?