Lt. Commander
# 21
08-20-2010, 05:22 PM
The thing people need to ask themselves is.... must i have rare very rare gear and be uber 1337?
In STO a person can easily equip with uncommons or commons and still kick ass no problem.
With the exception of Antiproton, but now you can even buy Tricobalt launchers for peanuts.

My only complaint is that its "impossible" to get Marks of Honor once you hit VA1.
Because imo a lot of the Mk X equipment is superior to the Mk XI stuff, such as the antiproton weapons and tricobalts.
Lt. Commander
# 22
08-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
That's what's so ... frustrating and confusing ... why did Vice Admiral break away completely from everything they'd done prior?
I REALLY think It was done purposely to keep players playin longer and longer. Whilest being too busy to notice that we're playin the same buggy missions over and over and over again. We've got a purple carrot dangling before our bright, wide, glazed, eyes.

While I am relieved to see that "some" MK XI's have "finally" started to drop.
I still wonder why there are no offerings of gratitude anymore for doing the Aid the planet missions, (when you can get them), or why the last two times I did the Star Base 24 fleet action, I've only been awarded whatever place I came in on, but no loot. (I just completed this mission twice, same result)
AND I still get a majority of Mark X's while doing my Vice Admiral dailies in the Vice Admiral B'tran, on Advanced difficulty mode..... Why would I get a lower tier gear while doing advanced on a VA1 missions in the VA B'tran? Why are there even two B'trans?
This doesn't happen anywhere else in the game that I know of. They just don't want to hand out rare MK XI OR XII gear. They might be throwing out a few here and there now, But that's very,very rare now and we're getting lower tier drops mixed in too. (This is so the Game's energy credit economy doesn't collapse)

There is a concerted effort to keep us grinding, to keep us busy to get what we are supposed to "perceive" to be the latest and greatest gear. The amount of grinding required has been raised, (the bar has been raised), much higher, longer than the lower tiers have ever been, ON PURPOSE, They just can't come out with enough stable, new content to keep up with us, so they want us all lost in the cluster chasing emblems endlessly. And who better else, but those end game players, who push themselves to get to the highest rank, as quickly as possible, to do this to?
Our new "missions" are our own, to gear up to the latest purples and they want us toiling away, contently as long as possible. Most of the new gear is only "slightly" better than the last.
This also speaks volumes TO ME.
This is because, not everyone will want to grind endlessly, so those that do, will only have a slight, barely perceptible advantage over those that don't or can't. You won't have players who grind endlessly dominating those players who don't.

This is also why the retro ships were also offered in the c store I might add and they make a few bucks in the process. It's really quite ingenious. They are very clever!

It wouldn't surprise me if some of these "bugs" are intentional either.
Lt. Commander
# 23
08-21-2010, 11:26 PM
There's no reason at all you need to have all purple gear. Just prioritize.

I think the emblem system sucks compared to the mark system, and the prices are ridic, but hell. You don't need that stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 24
08-22-2010, 12:17 AM
what makes this even worse is that it basically forces me to use the C-Store if I want to buy another retrofit ship. sure I can spend an insane amount of emblems to do it, but, I need those emblems to equip my existing ship, not to mention the new one. I don't mind the prices for gear that much, I just wish I could get more than 4 emblems per day (i don't PvP). you can get most of the RA5 stuff after a couple days worth of dailies, why can't the VA stuff be like that too. At this rate it'll take weeks just to be able to afford a single Mk XI Weapon.
Lt. Commander
# 25
08-22-2010, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMattSchwab
So, again, I question the sanity of this system. Why would anyone want to do the same 2 daily quests every single day for 4 months straight, to gear up their ship, then possibly another 4 months or more to take care of their ground character and bridge officers?
What would you normally do in those 4 months? Just keep doing that. Don't obsess over those purples.

And maybe, if enough people just ignore getting emblems, and enough people complain about the system on the forum, Cryptic will look at Stormshades forum reports and look into their server statistics and get around to create something more sensible.
Lt. Commander
# 26
08-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACES_HIGH View Post
what makes this even worse is that it basically forces me to use the C-Store if I want to buy another retrofit ship. sure I can spend an insane amount of emblems to do it, but, I need those emblems to equip my existing ship, not to mention the new one. I don't mind the prices for gear that much, I just wish I could get more than 4 emblems per day (i don't PvP). you can get most of the RA5 stuff after a couple days worth of dailies, why can't the VA stuff be like that too. At this rate it'll take weeks just to be able to afford a single Mk XI Weapon.
That is their master plan. Legally, Cryptic cannot force you to buy content from the C-Store. But there is nothing to say that they cannot Double-Super Secret-Stongly Encourage you to buy from the C-Store.

Why else would a new ship cost 500 Emblems? Think about it for a minute. You can get a max of 12 Emblems a day.

500 / 12 = 42.

42 DAYS OF CONSTANT GAME PLAY TO GET A NEW SHIP.

Or you could do as Cryptic wants you to do, and spend 1200 CP or $15 USD and buy the new ship. Who wins? THEY DO!
Lt. Commander
# 27
08-22-2010, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
What would you normally do in those 4 months? Just keep doing that. Don't obsess over those purples.

And maybe, if enough people just ignore getting emblems, and enough people complain about the system on the forum, Cryptic will look at Stormshades forum reports and look into their server statistics and get around to create something more sensible.
You know, if I could outfit my ship in all MK XI Uncommons or Rares, I'd do that, and forget about it. But the only way to get those is off the Exchange, and I don't have 1.5 Million credits for a single Torpedo Launcher.

What I'd really like is to be able to craft some MK XI gear. But that's not an option either.

So, either I grind for credits and buy way overpriced gear, or I grind Emblems and buy way overpriced gear in a different way.

/sigh
Lt. Commander
# 28
08-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Quote:
What I'd really like is to be able to craft some MK XI gear. But that's not an option either.
You know ... that's a pretty good point.

Heh, I've spent quite a lot of time today agreeing with people on these forums. It's ... really quite fun.
Lt. Commander
# 29
08-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
You know ... that's a pretty good point.

Heh, I've spent quite a lot of time today agreeing with people on these forums. It's ... really quite fun.
Seems like all the like minded are out today...

I suddenly get the sense that something very bad is about to happen....
Lt. Commander
# 30
08-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Quote:
I've wanted REAL crafting in this game since the start. I've always said that a game with a good crafting system KEEPS ITS PLAYERS. Why? .. Because people love to attain something that is not easy to get, even if it means a LOT of grinding to do it. It separates the casual players from the not-so-casual players as well, and it opens up the markets so that they're actually player-based.. Players make more money (energy credits), and they're able to get those items instead of working months for it in another form of grinding that they do not wish to participate in.

Good example of this is LoTRO. If I want the best of the best gear, I can go on Raids. I hated, and didn't have time for 4-6 hour raids, so I was able to obtain the next best thing by doing what I (emphasis on "I") liked to do... craft. I had time for casual grinding, and making things that others really may NOT have wanted to spend the time to be able to create, and that's what made me want to play longer. With the proceeds made on crafting, I was able to purchase MOST of the items dropped in Raids... meaning I didn't HAVE to go on Raids to get the gear in order to be competative with other players.

I still believe that the time spent on getting one item through Emblems is a crime... not because of the COST persay, but because of the loss of that 'sense of accomplishment' even when you actually get that item. Why doesn't it feel like an accomplishment? Simple: because we do the same missions (many of which are still broken) over and over again, only to find there really isn't a lot of improvement after all of that time, and worse, there's not any more real content than before Season 2 (with the exception of a couple missions, Ship interiors [useless] and Retrofits). So, after months of grinding, what have you got to show for yourself? Notta much

Cryptic.. Emblems do not keep people in the game... player-based environments and new working QUALITY content DOES.