Lt. Commander
# 11
08-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashur1
Ah, the ghastly colors ! They hurt us. Take them away.
I hope the revised post is more to your liking. Your quoting mine simply posted the same colors that you didn't like all over again. I've removed them from my post at your request/suggestion lol. Suggest you do the same in the quote?
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askray View Post
Tip for the wise on a major forum like this
I don't know if I'm "wise" or not but I'll try to keep that in mind, lol. Brought to mind this line from Captain Sisko: http://bit.ly/c4fo4n lol.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-20-2010, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyShoe
@jas ava, did you even read to the end of the itnerview? :p
Sure did. Did you go back and read my updated posting that was posted minutes after my original one? lol
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Will we see more references from the show make an appearance in the game?

Definitely! This is more of an ďas we canĒ thing, and if it fits. Since Star Trek Online takes place at later time than any of the shows, it wonít make sense to see some characters from previous shows. That doesnít necessarily tie our hands, though.
[...]

Plot-wise, where are we in the game now? How has the overarching narrative of the universe progressed?

[...] Iíve been a Star Trek fan for a long, long time and I was really excited to be given the chance to add to such an awesome franchise. Fortunately for us, CBS has given us a lot of freedom with Star Trek and have been great about providing feedback and any sort of information we may have needed throughout the development cycle.
LOL! Very funny and very surprising to read such things when we see what we are in game!!

As you says "Star Trek Online takes place at later time than any of the shows, it wonít make sense to see some characters from previous shows"...

But this not seem to disturb you when you put in game uniform from different era, when you planned to put Enterprise J and NX... and so on...

Com'on Dan, assume your very good background from "road to 2409" and forget all the other things! We are in 2409 as you says, 2409! So give us things from this era and not from the very far past.

It seem that, CBS give you TOO MANY freedom... and sincerely, I think that Cryptic don't know what they are doing with their background now... with so many things from so many era in the game, all become too much incoherent and its more like a patchwork of Star Trek than a true "coherent" Star Trek Universe...

When the game release, all was coherent, very very good story in episode, an truly impression of a "futuristic Star Trek universe" with new uniform, new spaceships never seen in show, and so on..." (except for all the things from c-store at the release) but .... now guys!!!! If people want one thing from a Show... "Voila!" Cryptic done it, without taking care of the background ...
  • Players want things from the Enterprise show? (255 years BEFORE Star Trek Online era...) .. Cryptic done it!
  • Players want things from the Original Serie ? (145 years BEFORE Star Trek Online era).. well, not a problem!! The magicians form cryptic give you what you want!

So bad... totaly incoherent with this interview and with what you want us to believe... Dan if you are such a fan, it seem that we do not have the same vision of what Star Trek Universe should be in 2409...

I think that you must watch again the tv show, and look them in Chronological order : Enterprise, then TOS, then Next Gen/DS9/Voyager...

You will See 3 differents show, with 3 differents era and style, but one things in common : Their race and the universe, with its development over the years .. They do not mix all the show in one stupid things except for some "special episode" and with a story to explain it.

But, STO has done it : All the show and all the era in one game!... So please, do not tell us that "it wonít make sense to see some characters from previous shows" because you exactly do otherwise by puting all the ships and uniform from different era and this not seem to disturb you...

Currently I am more than disappointed, especially as a lifer, I hoped that Cryptic would really create the best MMORPG about Star Trek ... but no .. I have the impression that you sold me dreams ... So bad...

Maybe the Next Gameforge Game about Star Trek will be better than yours even if this game will be F2P...

Hope...hope..
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-20-2010, 08:33 PM
I'm sorry but last I checked - no canon story actually explained if the ENT J we saw was the first of that class type or not. It could of not even been close to the first, not to mention we have never once in the series have them say "Yes the class was built in yadda yadda" so :p to anyone that says it can't be in here. (I won't get into the argument about it's size etc).

This is what people want. Some want the NX class, some want the ENT J class. Some don't. NO ONE is forcing you to purchase either. As the saying goes "Don't like it? Don't buy it!"

The game is meant to be fun by all. Do I think it should be enjoyed by everyone? DOI! Some like the old series, some like ENT, some liked DS9 (yay sisko!) and so on. They're trying to cater to everyone. Not everyone however, is going to be happy. Am I happy that the NX class or ENT J class is going in? newp, i'm not. But it's going to make some people happy. So if their happiness means more people to interact with, then i'm good with it .
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-20-2010, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askray View Post
NO ONE is forcing you to purchase either. As the saying goes "Don't like it? Don't buy it!"
Stop saying that man... it's the most stupid argument we read again and again on this forum...

Even if I dont buy it, you know that what I mean is very, very simple : We will see LOT and LOT of players with it... So these players will ruins the feeling of being in 2409 era... You know that, Dev know that (I hope...) but all people don't care...

All they want it's a game with ALL THE STUFF we have seen in show, whatever the era, the time line, the different universe.

Seeing people with the Galaxy-X for example is Stupid.... and I have not buy it, but it's really stupid to meet so many people with it...

When we make a game based on a licence, the least we can do is to respect the license. I really wonder if the guys at CBS which give approbation for all this stuff even know what Star Trek is... And I really wonder if Devs are truly fan of Star Trek to suggest these things in a background they themselves write and wich take place in 2409...

Have you ever seen a guy in Next Gen Era walk and be in-duty with a TOS uniform? (Except for timetravel episode... a very rare occasion )

Now, When we are playing Star Trek Online, the only thing that comes to mind is: "Well, it seems that everyone has traveled in time and are found in 2409 ... damn timeline! What are doing the Department of Temporal Investigations!! "

So, like I said before, this game is not really a Star trek Game.. It become a "Patchwork" of Star Trek only to satisfy the desire of some players wich want to play with all wich concern Star trek wathever the era...
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-21-2010, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvensDaerthe View Post
Stop saying that man... it's the most stupid argument we read again and again on this forum...

Even if I dont buy it, you know that what I mean is very, very simple : We will see LOT and LOT of players with it... So these players will ruins the feeling of being in 2409 era... You know that, Dev know that (I hope...) but all people don't care...

All they want it's a game with ALL THE STUFF we have seen in show, whatever the era, the time line, the different universe.

Seeing people with the Galaxy-X for example is Stupid.... and I have not buy it, but it's really stupid to meet so many people with it...

When we make a game based on a licence, the least we can do is to respect the license. I really wonder if the guys at CBS which give approbation for all this stuff even know what Star Trek is... And I really wonder if Devs are truly fan of Star Trek to suggest these things in a background they themselves write and wich take place in 2409...

Have you ever seen a guy in Next Gen Era walk and be in-duty with a TOS uniform? (Except for timetravel episode... a very rare occasion )

Now, When we are playing Star Trek Online, the only thing that comes to mind is: "Well, it seems that everyone has traveled in time and are found in 2409 ... damn timeline! What are doing the Department of Temporal Investigations!! "

So, like I said before, this game is not really a Star trek Game.. It become a "Patchwork" of Star Trek only to satisfy the desire of some players wich want to play with all wich concern Star trek wathever the era...

and this is exactly what i dont want people to think about this game.

the target audiences for this game are
Ship Nerds and Canon Nazis.

You can make both groups happy by putting Ships in the game that fit the timeframe.

The 1701-Constitution was a joke, a little homage to TOS, an anomaly.
The Galaxy-X, with a little imagination, that is exactly the right time for this Shiptype.

NX-01 fighting an Enterprise J at Tier 5?
That is gamebreaking.

This isn't the Prime Universe anymore... you may also add the JJ Abrams Enterprise now... the Ship Nerd in me would be happy, the Canon Nazi is facepalming in agony.

Just add Ships that fit the universe + timeline and both target groups will be happy.
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Iíve been a Star Trek fan for a long, long time and I was really excited to be given the chance to add to such an awesome franchise. Fortunately for us, CBS has given us a lot of freedom with Star Trek and have been great about providing feedback and any sort of information we may have needed throughout the development cycle.
Fortunate for Cryptic maybe, but not for us. The federation being at war with every power in the galaxy at the same time is stupid. The "True Way" is incredibly stupid. Changing Earth Space Dock from awesome to whatever the heck it is now is extremely ill-advised. It sounds harsh, but it's true, and you people at Cryptic know it to be true just as much as I do. In terms of things that have been done wrong in STO, story and narrative is way up there (as is ground combat, scale, and mission design. All of these aspects are embarrassingly sub-par, to put it politely). CBS should be steering you towards making a proper Trek game, instead of enabling sloppy convenient design that ruins the Trek experience simply because its easier to make a "grind by killing everything that moves" MMO.

Also, I'm tired of the amount of hand holding that goes on in the game media. Not just here, but absolutely everywhere. You don't see any questions with even a pinch of 'bite', as if the interviewer is always scared to death of offending the designer. Besides speaking to the sad state of game 'journalism', it makes for very boring interviews that don't touch on anything meaningful.
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-21-2010, 11:40 AM
So true....
Lt. Commander
# 20 QA<<a
08-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvensDaerthe View Post
fullquote
I agree with everthing you said. I really dont like all this stuff from the past and the far future flying around in the game.

My god, why people want the freaking NX Class. Stop living in the past. We have 2409! Want the NX Class go buy the Akira and turn you monitor upside down.

TOS Uniforms, yeah nice gadget but meh... 2409?

I dont want to talk about the Enterprie J now. I just imagine upcoming PvP Matches. NX Class vs. Enterprise J, and guess who wins.

Of course the old NX Class will own the Enterprise J lol

In my opinion goodies like that kill the experience.