Lt. Commander
# 31
11-20-2010, 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleacoe View Post
Bridge Commander pulled off commanding from the bridge and it felt more interactive and intense sitting in the Captains chair giving orders... but for STO, over six months after release we still cant even sit in chairs yet.
you can on test you unwashed newb!
Lt. Commander
# 32
11-20-2010, 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleacoe View Post
Bridge Commander pulled off commanding from the bridge and it felt more interactive and intense sitting in the Captains chair giving orders... but for STO, over six months after release we still cant even sit in chairs yet.
QFT..........

I wish we could fly from our bridges and receive hails on our view screen, and see stars whizzing by when we are at warp. Have bridge control with multiple view points, instead of instances.......
Lt. Commander
# 33
11-24-2010, 07:42 AM
I think at most, all we'll ever get is the ability to fly from system to system from the bridge.

When you think about it, all Cryptic has to do is allow you to access the system list map from the bridge, and then you'd double click the system you want to fly to. Since all the star systems are instances, all they'd need to do behind the scenes is set a timer depending on how far away the system is from you, show a star-streak animation on the view screen, and once the timer expires, drop you into the instance/star system in space combat mode.

So, for example :

1) Walk over to your helmsman.
2) Press "F" to talk to him/her.
3) Select the system you want to go to.
4) Select "Engage"
5) Behind the scenes a timer starts based on the distance of the system from your last location (STO already knows where your ship was prior going to your bridge because when you leave the bridge, you're returned there.)
6) Star field animation is displayed on the view screen
7) Helmsman periodically reports ETA to system in a speech bubble. ("ETA to Vulcan system, 1:30")
8) Once you arrive, in a speech bubble the Helmsman states "We have arrived at the Vulcan system."
9) 3 seconds pass, and then you're dropped into the system instance in Space combat mode.

I think that'd be really neat, and wouldn't require an overhaul of how the ship interiors work.

The only catch I can see with this is that they wouldn't be able to allow you to wander your ship while you're "traveling" since the Crew deck and Engineering Deck are separate instances. You could go sit in your Ready Room though if you wanted.
Lt. Commander
# 34
11-24-2010, 08:40 AM
Just a question:

How would combat work from the bridge?
Lt. Commander
# 35
11-24-2010, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP3CTREnyc
Just a question:

How would combat work from the bridge?
um...hello...bridge commander! and yes i do sleep...****
Lt. Commander
# 36
11-24-2010, 09:08 AM
it would be great if it were just one big instance with multiple view points and interactions....
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_Glory
I think at most, all we'll ever get is the ability to fly from system to system from the bridge.

When you think about it, all Cryptic has to do is allow you to access the system list map from the bridge, and then you'd double click the system you want to fly to. Since all the star systems are instances, all they'd need to do behind the scenes is set a timer depending on how far away the system is from you, show a star-streak animation on the view screen, and once the timer expires, drop you into the instance/star system in space combat mode.

So, for example :

1) Walk over to your helmsman.
2) Press "F" to talk to him/her.
3) Select the system you want to go to.
4) Select "Engage"
5) Behind the scenes a timer starts based on the distance of the system from your last location (STO already knows where your ship was prior going to your bridge because when you leave the bridge, you're returned there.)
6) Star field animation is displayed on the view screen
7) Helmsman periodically reports ETA to system in a speech bubble. ("ETA to Vulcan system, 1:30")
8) Once you arrive, in a speech bubble the Helmsman states "We have arrived at the Vulcan system."
9) 3 seconds pass, and then you're dropped into the system instance in Space combat mode.

I think that'd be really neat, and wouldn't require an overhaul of how the ship interiors work.

The only catch I can see with this is that they wouldn't be able to allow you to wander your ship while you're "traveling" since the Crew deck and Engineering Deck are separate instances. You could go sit in your Ready Room though if you wanted.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for the Bridge/Sector Space Navigation, that is a very viable and good idea...

I also think it would be kind of interesting to have a few missions aboard the ship. There have been many a Star Trek episode where the crew never stepped foot off the ship to solve a mission or problem. The ship Layouts all include Bridge, Sickbay, Engineering, Engineering Lab, Captain's Quarters, Ready Room, and a Lounge... most of the environment is already built though it needs to be better tailored per ship class and not so..... standardized.

Fighting a contagion or an intruder (be like PVP Ground, but through the ship, Jeffries Tubes, etc.), Undine imposter ON YOUR SHIP !! There are many ideas...

It could feature your own crew and an EMH in case some crews do not have a Science Type available for a Doctor.
Lt. Commander
# 38
11-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrrdboi View Post
um...hello...bridge commander! and yes i do sleep...****
Bridge Commander, or at least the videos I've seen of it on youtube, plays too differently than STO.

First, the shields in STO are quadridirectional (neologism I just made) as opposed to BC which has dorsal and ventral shields in addition to the compass rose system in STO.

Second, you lose situational awareness in that game very quickly. Not one of the combat videos I saw looked like it had a measure of orientation while targeting enemies, and I think all of the videos I saw where the player was targeting a moving enemy were switched to an external view.

Finally, BC plays a lot slower than STO. There are so many AoE abilities that you'd be better off playing from outside of the bridge, and so many abilities in general that you might want to prevent yourself from fixating.

All in all, I think you lose more than you gain by being bottled up in a bridge when there's so much going on in STO, particularly in PvP

edit: so it seems that quadridirectional is actually a word. I can't have anything.

lame
Lt. Commander
# 39
11-25-2010, 11:41 AM
I think that most of us don't want to fight space battles from the bridge, Bridge Commander was a pretty good game but STO and BC are too different to for STO to be played that way.

But traveling across sector space from the Bridge should be in this game. Omega Glory's idea is good, but I think added to that we should still have a sector space map, instead of being 3D and flying around like in space combat mode your ship and every ship around you are represented by 2D dots traveling along on a 2D map accessible by the helmsman from the Bridge. That way you could travel by selecting the system you want to fly to, or by just clicking on any random empty area of space to fly there, and then walk around your ship untill you get there. That way you could visit other players ships by flying up to them and beaming aboard like you do now. And if Cryptic ever gives us open PVP when an enemy player gets within weapons range they can fire on another player and knock them out of warp and then they enter space combat mode.
Lt. Commander
# 40
12-03-2010, 07:44 AM
The new sector space would be really cool from the bridge. It would be good to be able to pull up the map, set course and either sit in the Captains chair or wander the ship as you travel through Sector Space. While in route you could have a timer counting down on your screen and a hail from the bridge when you arrive at your destination. I would also love to have Bridge Commander type combat.