Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Greetings. As some of you may now, there are a few chat channels existing within the game designed to aid people in finding a PVP match without having to use the q system. For informational and nostalgia purposes: here is a brief history of said channels.

At a time long long ago when viral matrix was fatal and subnuke unstoppable, a chat channel was created for the few players who braved the unknown waters in search of high quality pvp (OrganizedPVP). That channels creator, hivewasp (rip?), is no longer with us. The channel lives on and has went through many phases of success and failure.

In the beginning alot of noobs asked stupid questions there all the time. I personally blame cryptics lack of documentation within the game for many skills upon release for this dilemna. As I can honestly not count how many players said "TSS sucks it only does x drain" and were enlightened to hear "sensor array boosts it... i can drain xx". As people learned the game and began to understand the more complex dynamics in pvp, the focus of the channel shifted from educational to its destined purpose: aiding players in finding quality pvp, as a team or individuals.

This second era was not without incident. Some players (as they will do) spammed and trolled and flamed. So bad did a few anger the channels creator, that he then made the channel private. (At the time i was against this move, and saw it as the death of the effort, but i was wrong)

The problems continued however as many people in the channel didnt really care about pvp, for whatever reason. Some just wanted to fly with their own fleet (nothing wrong with that) and some just wanted to proclaim their greatness at everyone elses expense. At this time the creator lost his will to deal with such people, and sadly alot of players were forced out of the channel or left because of the troubles.

One such group(hivewasp haters) was the DOB fleet. They created another channel (still alive today) called PremadePVP specifically for the purpose of finding "complete teams" to play against. This works great and is used to this day by many fleets federation and klingon alike. Im not complaining about PremadePVP channel, it is open to all players, rarely has any flames or trolling, and can be used to maximum effect by already existing premade teams to find enemies. Thus many fleets utilize this channel to aid them in fighting quality opponents as opposed to pugs.

However, as lamentations in other threads would indicate, this channel (PremadePVP) is dominated by a few large very high skill fleets. (7th core, 182, s31, GOD and few others). An analogy would be that of a rich boys country club, where already trained golf enthusiasts can play eachother without having to deal with "noobs". Sadly this channel did not continue on the basic tenet of the original OrganizedPVP channel. It lost the ability to bring in new people as individuals (who may then even join one fleet after flying with them by choice) and has since deteriorated in usefulness and popularity.

This brings us into the present, where OrganizedPVP has 500 members+ and PremadePVP has near 150 and hours go between comments in either channel. Few people attempt to find other players to team with as individuals in OrganizedPVP chat, and few teams seek a full premade enemy in PremadePVP. The fact of the matter is, a personal contact with a known fleet rep is all that is necessary to pair two full premade teams together. For example I can just as easily message Santa Claws or Ninjaboy as I can type in the chat. And sadly alot of fleets have sunsequently chosen their "favorite" enemies and not even bothered to bring new people, fleets or individuals, into the fold. Both channels see more idle chatter and off topic rants than they do "t5 k lfg".

So what praytell, is the solution? I believe a new channel specifically dedicated to max level arena space FvK pvp can prosper in this game and bring high quality pvp experience to additional players. As the pool of competency expands and more people learn the game, more high caliber enemies will emerge on the battlefield. Better enemies= better gameplay. If I am playing a game and I win(or lose) I will always reveal my exact strategy and hide nothing in a vain attempt to "maintain my edge". This is what true warriors do. The battle is the victory, the greater the fight, the better for all (win or lose). This isnt the art of war, its the art of competition for competitions sake. This is gladiator combat, and to truly be the champion you must have faced the hardest opponent. I say bring them on! (i usually lose)

The following post will detail my idea thoroughly.
Lt. Commander
# 2 the ten chatmandments
08-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Ill start with a very basic list of what i think will make this channel very effective.

1. No flaming/trolling/bragging/trash talking/ egging on.. etc.
for example
"you cheated!"
"ha ha we owned you!"
"you guys suck because you wont play us"
"we are the best fleet in the game (true or not)"
"ill play you guys but screw [player x]"
"wheres sulu!?"
basically: be adult, use the channel for its purpose

2. Tight member count. Restricted to leaders of fleets(who will have admin powers), and their top ten (or most interested) players.

this will reduce the player pool in theory, but weeding out people who are only mildly interested is a good thing imho. You want to represent in OPVP, you better be the best, or have your fleet leaders blessing. (and if u arent in a fleet at this point then ORGANIZED team pvp is obviously something youre not interested in)

3. Stay on topic.

Kind of obvious but this channel will be solely for players to LFG allies and enemies for private q games. The other channels (OrganizedPVP, PremadePVP) can still be used as free for all chats. Not OPVP.

4. FvK only.

The war in this game is between the Federation and the Empire. While KvK is fun, it is going to be similarlyorganized within the construct of the KDF alliance. And FvF doesnt need any help (most premade matches are as of now FvF organized thru PremadePVP chat.)

5. For Space combat only.

While ground is fun (is it?) it isnt what this game thrives on, or relevant, and this single focus will help to tune the channel towards its destined purpose.

6. Arena Only. (cracked planet, solar wind, briar patch)

Hardly even have to mention this one, as I almost never have seen anyone in either channel ask for a premade cnh game. Its about the BATTLE not sititng on top of some "point" in a meaningless respawn-at-the-base fest.

7. Maximum level only.

Serious pvp for players who have been there done that. Again the singular focus will eliminate unnecessary chat and wasted time. "What your not max level??!?, no wonder the private q isnt working...."

8. Ventrilo capable players only.

No offense, but it helps to make coordinating matches as well as the game itself go alot smoother. Was so strange that OrganizedPVP creator didnt use vent. And a huge hassle. Doubt this will be a problem or factor, as most avid gamers are capable of using voice chat. And if you want to be in an opvp match, you better.

9. No quitters.

I dont care what happened in the match or if the other team broke rules 1-9. You are in it to win it, there will be no leaving the match and claiming victory becus the other team "whatevered". Just today i was in a pug where some noob (klink) said "hey these guys are too hard im just going to stay hidden and get the points". no one wants this guy on their team i dont want him in this channel.

10. Dont talk about OPVP.

The last rule is the first rule of any good fight club. We want high quality opponents and gameplay. This isnt going to be the place to pad your fraps youtube video with unwilling participants. Not to proclaim your dominance on the forums becaus you won 15-0. This is the channel for PVP. Any matches organized through here will have been fought with respect. And sacred honor. That goes for before, during, and after the match. I personally think it would be impolite, to talk publicly about a "private match" unless the opponents were okwith it, or it was during a special event/publicized tournament.

Welp these are the ten things i think would make this channel useful, fun, and free of headaches. Feel free to add any comments or suggestions! Thansk for reading (you earn a gold star!) <S>
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-10-2010, 12:37 AM
I like the Idea of a Fleet leader only Private Channel to help with getting Organized PVP further off the ground for KvF.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-10-2010, 01:02 AM
Looks good.

Maybe we should set aside a channel for team searching for pickup players.

This will build competitive PvP game play and possibly establish new / better PvP fleets.

We could use on of the existing channels for it too but we need to advertise to the masses more. 500+ members is good but not if only 12 are using it for the majority of the day.

We should put it in all our taglines and remind people to join X channel for PvP pickup groups, pvp strats, help, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-10-2010, 05:27 AM
I think an important part of establishing more good organised PVP is to encourage "PremadePUGs", i.e. players teaming up, using vent etc. who are not in the same fleet.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-10-2010, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom
I think an important part of establishing more good organised PVP is to encourage "PremadePUGs", i.e. players teaming up, using vent etc. who are not in the same fleet.
this is the purpose of this channel as i see it. PremadEPVP already exists to find premade teams when you have a premade team. What we need (especially for klingons) is a way to form multi fleet teams based on willingness to play against harder "premade" opponents. The original impetus behind the OrganizedPVP channel was this, it was also at a timewhen many people were not maximum level, and only a handflu of fleets could field 5 man teams.

Now we no long have a requirement of 5 man teams which is good. But we also have the existence of manuy premade fleets who tend to not "fly with eachother". We need to squash this false logic, in the time of need all willing ships should come to the battlefield, fleeted or not. But when they enter an arena using the OPVP chat systems theyll be able to know their allies before going in, and be capable of at least very limited organizing/team preparation. Thanks for the comments.

As to Ninjaboys comment I think thats a good idea as well. That would give us basically 4 channels to work with OrganizedPVP(used for duels, ground, kvk/fvf however you can get it/tacticstalk/etc), PremadePVP(designed to match team vs team of premades), the new OPVP (designed to find other pvpers to form teams from 2to 5 man and enemies), and perhaps another channel specifically where said teams can post to find other teams, once they have coordinated and agreed on what kind of game they are after. <S>

stay tuned for more info/threads on this subject
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-10-2010, 01:21 PM
i like th eidea mini, but it would need a dev or somebody to occasionally patrol for anti-flaming/quality control purposes if it is to be an "officially" santioned channel
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rek View Post
i like th eidea mini, but it would need a dev or somebody to occasionally patrol for anti-flaming/quality control purposes if it is to be an "officially" santioned channel
dev oh dev, any dev pplease help us pvp people and grant us your blessings (and presence in game as mod???)
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-11-2010, 07:34 AM
I still think you should have called it PewPew
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beary666 View Post
I still think you should have called it PewPew
i have ownership of that channel also, so its still an option. how bout a vote PewPew vs OPVP