Lt. Commander
# 11
08-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazick
I've nerver noticed a problem with the Elite Difficulty mobs. Are they just in particular quests where they're overpowered? My friend recruited me to the game and we played elite difficulty right the way through from the that first rescue the U.S.S thingy from that patch of Asteroids, right up to the Cure (which is the quest we'll be doing today! )

I'll admit that we've had to adapt our play style. He's a tactical officer that concentrates on DPS where as I'm a Science Officer who has equipped himself with hull and shield heals to keep him alive. In ground combat I run around in a Medic Kit to heal him there aswell...But I thought that was the whole point in Elite Difficulty? To work in groups rather than on your own... I'll admit that neither of us can do Elite Difficulty on our own, but if we could then I think elite wouldn't really be elite...would it?
The majority of us aren't running with buddies. There needs to be two Difficulty Sliders. One for ground and one for space. You can't change Difficulty settings once you enter a mission.
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Quote:
I've nerver noticed a problem with the Elite Difficulty mobs. Are they just in particular quests where they're overpowered? My friend recruited me to the game and we played elite difficulty right the way through from the that first rescue the U.S.S thingy from that patch of Asteroids, right up to the Cure (which is the quest we'll be doing today! )

I'll admit that we've had to adapt our play style. He's a tactical officer that concentrates on DPS where as I'm a Science Officer who has equipped himself with hull and shield heals to keep him alive. In ground combat I run around in a Medic Kit to heal him there aswell...But I thought that was the whole point in Elite Difficulty? To work in groups rather than on your own... I'll admit that neither of us can do Elite Difficulty on our own, but if we could then I think elite wouldn't really be elite...would it?
There is no major problem with Space Encounters on Elite, it's ground content with insanely overpowered NPCs that shoot for 400 per shot and drop you and your BOs before you could even get a shot off.

IMHO, "Harder" wouldn't be giving more HPs and having NPCs shoot harder, I'd give them more options like to hide and recover or use abilities more refrequently like players. Perhaps giving them the ability to expose / kill you and your crew as well.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-23-2010, 01:07 PM
overpowered mobs on Elite Difficulty

Isnt that the point of playing on Elite? If you could just breaze through it, it wouldnt be elite, itd be normal.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
IMHO, "Harder" wouldn't be giving more HPs and having NPCs shoot harder, I'd give them more options like to hide and recover or use abilities more refrequently like players. Perhaps giving them the ability to expose / kill you and your crew as well.
That's a good point, I'll agree with you on that
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber1250 View Post
When Craptic goes bankrupt and another developer purchases this game...
Is it wrong to keep my fingers crossed. I have felt since day one that Cryptic is not able to handle a MMO of this caliber. The player base is demanding yet intelligent. We know what we want and know what we like.

By IP standards, Cryptic is a very small company. They support 3 MMO's CoH, CO, and STO PLUS they have a "secret" project in the works. They are only spreading themselves thinner and thinner.

A Star Trek MMO needs a company that can devote the time and attention to detail that is needed to call the game Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DES_SNIPER View Post
By IP standards, Cryptic is a very small company. They support 3 MMO's CoH, CO, and STO PLUS they have a "secret" project in the works. They are only spreading themselves thinner and thinner.

A Star Trek MMO needs a company that can devote the time and attention to detail that is needed to call the game Star Trek.
Cryptic no longer has anything to do with City of Heroes/Villains. They sold it all to NCSoft.
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Quote:
I've nerver noticed a problem with the Elite Difficulty mobs. Are they just in particular quests where they're overpowered?
This is a known and acknowledged bug. With how NPC enemies work on Elite. The most notable and often reported NPCs are the Cryptic made enemies. Like the Crimto or the Sarlians or the Scoodians.

These enemies were always functioning in the way the currently function. But it was never that noticeable prior to the difficulty slider because you and your away team could recover very quickly even from these overpowered NPCs.

What is happening is the mathematics that take place when these NPCs are ramped up in difficulty finally becomes noticeable.

The most reported bugs are:
  • That dual pistol wielding groups of NPCs spray your entire team and kill you all in one round.
  • Some NPCs seem to have weapons that shoot through personal shields.
  • Debuffs are also exponentially increased so your personal armor becomes moot.
  • Full Auto sweep by multiple NPCs has a similar affect to the dual pistol wielding NPCs.
  • There's now a YouTube link of a grenade one shotting a player from full health.

These are all examples of what amounts to a decimal point being off somewhere. The Crimto will kill you faster than the Borg. The. Borg. Let that sink in. Crimto > Borg.

It's been feedbacked, charted, video captured, combat logged, and reported in great detail since this went live.

And the devs have even acknowledged it is a bug they're looking into.

No one wants the challenge of elite to be taken away.

But people do want these bugs and inconsistencies to be looked at. Bypassing personal shields seems like a pretty big bug. One shot grenades seems like that should be checked out.

Nobody wants the setting toned down. They want the bugs fixed. You can see the same disparity in attacks on any setting. It's even there on Normal. The Crimto dual pistol assault will chew through your team. It's just, because it's on normal you get a chance to recover.
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Cryptic no longer has anything to do with City of Heroes/Villains. They sold it all to NCSoft.
I stand corrected on that part.

However, I feel that Cryptic sold the wrong IP.
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa27 View Post
overpowered mobs on Elite Difficulty

Isnt that the point of playing on Elite? If you could just breaze through it, it wouldnt be elite, itd be normal.
There is a difference between a challenge and insanity.
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-24-2010, 03:23 AM
If this is ever fixed, the fix will be available at C-Store for no less than 1000 points.