Lt. Commander
When Star Trek Online came out, I was extremely motivated to play it, Beta was somewhat rocky, as well as most of the things in the game weren't what was promised the players prior to the games release (like the originally conceived Genesis System). That was fine, I figured the game would improve like most other games improve over time.

Instead, from my point of view. The game now is less playable then it was 7 months ago in the Beta Test. Everything being done to improve the game, sets the game back instead. How can customers be expected to tolerate such service?

Even with the problems prior to Season 2, I was comfortable recommending the game to my friends, and anyone who showed any interest in Star Trek. At least back then, the game was playable, it was repetitive, it was confining (the same sectors to explore, same missions, same maps), but it was stable. But now, I can not recommend this game to anyone, I have lost faith that this game will improve at a pace thats worth the price (even reduced to 19.99 USD).

The problem isn't the IP, its not Star Trek. Its the fact that the people behind the game like taking short cuts. Quality doesn't seem to be a factor, as long as results in any form get the job done. I understand that Cryptic has to rebuild the database. However, doing it piecemeal, isn't really cutting it. Why the server isn't just taken offline for the 2 days or so you need to get the job done and have credit given to the paying monthly customers and perhaps c-store cash equivalent given to the lifetime subscribers is beyond me. Is it so out of the question to actually take the time to do something that needs to be done and to do it right? The players will understand, if they see the improvement, if they see the results of your hard work.

Is it the idea that bringing the game down will have a negative effect on the subscribers? How does, showcasing a broken game for a longer period of time (than 2 days), not have a negative effect on your core, your current subscribers any less? Every crash, every team that gets split-up on a mission, every anomaly that doesn't give a reward, every aid the planet that doesn't mission start. Each becomes a nail in the game's coffin to the people who are paying right now.

As it is, I'm a lifetime subscriber, I can walk away. As it is, I don't know if I'll be able to come back to any game at all, if Cryptic doesn't change how they do things. The customers/players deserve more respect than to be tossed, scraps (makeshift fixes to long term problems).

The customer is always right, not only when it doesn't hurt your free time, or the bottom line. Fix the problem with the CORE game, before adding new c-store items, before doing the weekly episodes. There's no point in focusing on all the new content, if you're player-base is shrinking due to frustration.

I want this game to last, I want this game to succeed, this game has so much potential. But if the game isn't good, there can be no hope of either. The players can't do this. Only the developers can, but only if they really want to. Please want to.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-22-2010, 05:34 PM
I agree with what you're saying. I was in the beta and while there was a lack of content, at least for the most part it was playable. It's a shame that an IP such as Star Trek is on the way towards being ruined because of glitches and server errors. Database errors such as the ones we've been seeing lately can and will ruin a game if they are not fixed quickly, and it's been how many weeks now?
Cryptic really needs to take notice of what the player base wants before working on their C-Store. Yeah having new skins and ships are a nice touch, but what use are they if we don't have a working game in which to enjoy them? Cryptic, it's time to get on the ball before you cause your player base to move on to something else. I want to see STO succeed, wake up!
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-22-2010, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant-One
The problem isn't get IP, its not Star Trek. Its the fact that the people behind the game like taking short cuts. Quality doesn't seem to be a factor, as long as results in any form get the job done.
Now that is an interesting point. Definitely food for thought.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-22-2010, 06:28 PM
hate to say it, but i agree!
the game is less playable then when it first started.
as a lifer, i'm stuck with whatever cryptic does. unfortunely, all the players i started playing STO with have left the game. i considered leaving also, but found a new fleet of lifers and i have contiued playing.
in the last week, i have had more fatal errors then the previous six months combined. it makes playing the game difficult at best.
but, because i'm a lifer, i will continue playing the game until its fixed or until its gone. i have a lot of money invested and will try to get my monies worth. i hope the game gets fixed and improves.
i refuse to buy anything else until the game gets better, just in case someone decides to pull the plug on the life support.
Lt. Commander
# 5 Reboot
08-23-2010, 03:03 AM
I think it's about time for JJ Abrams to step in and reboot this Trek game.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-23-2010, 06:08 AM
How great of an April fools joke would that be. You goto the Sol system and there is the massive JJ Enterprise on patrol. If only they could get the rights. Or better yet, the Enterprise J.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-23-2010, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaNine
I think it's about time for JJ Abrams to step in and reboot this Trek game.
Why would you want to add even more mindless action, don't we have enough already? STO even re-imagined the canon ships JJ way. Cpt Logan has been working on the de-imagination of them ever since he got hired.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-23-2010, 07:48 AM
Not that Im saying they aint there, because by the bug reports... they are.... but I havent come across a single Fatal Error or Big of any kind save for falling through the bridge of my ship and into space :p

Maybe there are a certain select few of us who are 'Untouched' as it were.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-23-2010, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryulis View Post
Not that Im saying they aint there, because by the bug reports... they are.... but I havent come across a single Fatal Error or Big of any kind save for falling through the bridge of my ship and into space :p
Same. The only errors I've encountered have been BOffs/Objectives/Anomalies located below terrain in Away Missions, missing Anomalies in Space-based missions and inability to correctly team in B'Tran exploration missions.

Otherwise, all is rosy over here. Sorry to hear people are having issues, but if it's not happening for every subscriber then it must be something common to those affected (and not completely an issue with the game code - probably an incompatibility)
Lt. Commander
# 10 Very ture it started in beta
08-23-2010, 08:14 AM
Simple fact is the game needed another year of R&D and everyone knows it. All they did was make a lot harder on themselves. Not only do they need fix things but put out content at the same time. Meaning bugs forever. So many section of the game need work I lost count. They also left out a ton of things. Secondary Skills every MMO I have play has them not STO. Because of the early launch STO wil be playing catch up for years. UGC is offical coming so I hold by my 3 year figure before STO to become playable to the standard of other MMOS. I Belive they are trying to fix the probems but they have uphill fight.