Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Just out of sheer curiosity but how exactly are you expected to fight with a Bat'leth?

Currently as soon as the enemy moves 1 step in any direction away from you the combo breaks and you have to start again. When this is against a constantly moving target in PvP it just becomes completely pointless.

I have just had a string of PvP encounters and on all of them I was lucky if I pulled off 1 combo every 2 minutes of constant combat. I understand the idea is that they should not be overpowered but when im dealing very mediocre damage due to not being able to string combos together it does beg the question.

Am I doing something wrong perhaps?
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkeh86 View Post
Just out of sheer curiosity but how exactly are you expected to fight with a Bat'leth?

Currently as soon as the enemy moves 1 step in any direction away from you the combo breaks and you have to start again. When this is against a constantly moving target in PvP it just becomes completely pointless.

I have just had a string of PvP encounters and on all of them I was lucky if I pulled off 1 combo every 2 minutes of constant combat. I understand the idea is that they should not be overpowered but when im dealing very mediocre damage due to not being able to string combos together it does beg the question.

Am I doing something wrong perhaps?
Everyone can use a Bat'leth... Tacticals have the "Close Combat Kit", while Science has "Physician" kit that boosts physical damage, or they could use the skill Gravimetric Shift (root) or Anesthizine Gas or Stasis Field (fragile hold). Engineers can use Weapons Malfunction with Fuse Armor. Here's a video of my engineer using a Bat'leth. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoVLJIyHCSg (Check out my 801 crit at 2:46)

It use to be better when you could rifle butt them to the ground, but that seems to have been nerfed.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-22-2010, 07:15 PM
My point is as soon as someone moves the combo breaks which means im doing very very poor damage. The power of the batleth and martial arts lies within the combo 'finisher' which is near impossible to pull off when people are running around like theres no tomorrow.

Im currently using a Tactical toon with close combat kit and none of the abilities help me in any way to pull off combos or root the enemy. I can use stun grenade but by teh time I get close to the player who is stunned (if they havnt run away) they break out of it. Also the knockback attack with the batleth seems to do sod all and tends to actually knockback the enemy once in a blue moon. Followed by the apparant 90% chance to KB with the kick which again actually procs once in a blue moon it is increasingly difficult. Im guessing the whole numerics behind PvP are broken?
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Actually you should be able to run just as fast as the other play and should walk in their direction at the same time that you're swinging the Bat'leth. Personally I run in a circle around the enemy (as you can see in my video) which can sometimes jerk their camera and make it tougher for them to move away from me, or even figure out which direction to escape. But also the Bat'leth has an automatic "lunge" feature that lets you close-in on the enemy. For example, try executing combos using martial arts (as in, no weapon equipped) versus the Bat'leth, and you will tell that there is a huge difference. Bat'leth combos will physically thrust you closer to the enemy, whereas martial arts combos leave you stationary. Sorry to hear it's not working out for you, though. There have to be some drawbacks to the Bat'leth because it is a rather powerful weapon considering (1) it bypasses shields, and (2) every attack is an expose attack. It sounds like you're fighting against some skilled PvP'ers who know how to keep in constant motion, which is the obvious way to handle a crazed Bat'leth swinger. So your best bet I think would be to keep running up to them (you can keep moving while you're swinging) or ditch the weapon all together.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-22-2010, 08:34 PM
Back them into a wall and start swinging and then use the knockdown bat'leth ability and then spam the exposes.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Don't use it tbh.

Any decent pvpers will be able to take advantage of you if you use it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-22-2010, 11:52 PM
As long as there will be bunnyhopping midgets running around, dont even try to kill someone in melee with bat'leth . It may occasionally work, but the before mentioned crazy rabbits will drive you nuts. Ground PvP is not a place to seek Klingon star trek feeling im afraid.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-23-2010, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalnar
As long as there will be bunnyhopping midgets running around, dont even try to kill someone in melee with bat'leth . It may occasionally work, but the before mentioned crazy rabbits will drive you nuts. Ground PvP is not a place to seek Klingon star trek feeling im afraid.
Yeah in PvP it doesn't work, but in PvE and STF's it's a ton of fun! Video from The Cure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miVUaZk3r6E
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Im talking of PvP of course. PvE is a walk in the park but during PvP its an absolute joke. Whats with the mini-lunge animation when someone is a footstep away? It breaks combos and it doesn't even do damage if the player moves again which then makes you 'rubber band' back and forth as you are franticly trying to lay a hit on someone who is casually walking backwards while spraying your face off with a phaser.

Quite frankly they need to buff melee combat majorly and the only suggestion I can think of is giving martial artists/bat'leth a buff resistance against rifle butt and a chance to root the enemy on EVERY hit for 2 seconds or something. Of course this could be hugely annoying so that proc would have to be something like 25% or something but still.

I know people would cry over that but frankly melee combat is meant to be dangerous. Why would Klingons use bat'leths if they were useless?

Melee needs to be a dangerous combat style with a large risk. That risk being you are the focus of fire which currently is the case. Theres just no pros to it at the moment.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-24-2010, 05:39 AM
ya.. bat'leths are overrated, imo. /cough