Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
If I wanted to play a melee based ground pvp game, I would log onto many of those hack and slash MMO's.

It is very frustrating... uh, perhaps very broken? If a player can just run up to you, disregard tactics, then two swing melee you to shields down and 50% hp, and you're also knockbacked. Not very Trek like at all. The game is starting to become like Dune, shields absord most weapon damage, so people run up to you in hand to hand combat...

Unfortunately, I cannot equip a Batleth, or even a butter knife for that matter...
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-22-2010, 07:55 PM
not sure where you are coming from on this, I mean the only people that have any chance of dealing enough melee dmg worth while is a tac and really tacs are so squishy that they arent going to survive long in close like that. What profession are you playing that you are getting killed with melee? I would highly recommend to pretty much be constantly sprinting and moving in combat, people will have serious trouble meleeing you and you will have a dodge/avoid buff from the srpint. Keep working with different things because honestly melee is a joke in this game really once you know how to avoid and keep people at range.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by couladin View Post
not sure where you are coming from on this, I mean the only people that have any chance of dealing enough melee dmg worth while is a tac and really tacs are so squishy that they arent going to survive long in close like that. What profession are you playing that you are getting killed with melee? I would highly recommend to pretty much be constantly sprinting and moving in combat, people will have serious trouble meleeing you and you will have a dodge/avoid buff from the srpint. Keep working with different things because honestly melee is a joke in this game really once you know how to avoid and keep people at range.
I truly don't know what it is, rarely I have problems with this issue, but the past hour or so I've delt with a couple of engineers tag team running right up into my face and two shotting me. I try to kite them with dual pistols, but that just doesn't work because they stun me for around 2 seconds, then wam. Its very strange, my weapons seem to tickle them and then they melee me. In one swing, shields down.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalynon View Post

Unfortunately, I cannot equip a Batleth, or even a butter knife for that matter...
Bat'leth in the post to you. Although i do not know your rank so i got you one of each
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-23-2010, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalynon View Post
I truly don't know what it is, rarely I have problems with this issue, but the past hour or so I've delt with a couple of engineers tag team running right up into my face and two shotting me. I try to kite them with dual pistols, but that just doesn't work because they stun me for around 2 seconds, then wam. Its very strange, my weapons seem to tickle them and then they melee me. In one swing, shields down.
ok think i see the issue here, 2 engineers running up and meleeing you didnt take your shields down. It is highly likely they had drones and those will very quickly often in 1 shot drop your shields completely, and the melee dps they were doing is usually more to cause general panic by being up in someones face rather than the actual dmg as trust me those drones are dealign out way more dmg than they can. I think what happened is they had drones up and by running up to you you didnt see the drones dealing the dmg and thought it was all from those 2 engi's meleeing you.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-23-2010, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by couladin View Post
ok think i see the issue here, 2 engineers running up and meleeing you didnt take your shields down. It is highly likely they had drones and those will very quickly often in 1 shot drop your shields completely, and the melee dps they were doing is usually more to cause general panic by being up in someones face rather than the actual dmg as trust me those drones are dealign out way more dmg than they can. I think what happened is they had drones up and by running up to you you didnt see the drones dealing the dmg and thought it was all from those 2 engi's meleeing you.
When I "melee" on my engineer, I pretty much just close up to get a knockdown, but I'm relying on ranged weapons for actual damage. Like others have said, moving a lot takes care of the melee issues. It takes a little practice, but it's not a big deal.

Also, your regular palm-strike/rifle-butt should be enough to interrupt them and give you a chance to move away. It's not perfect, but it helps.

Melee in this game is really very hard, but it's a little easier to defend against than to do. To melee successfully you kind of depend on your opponent panicking, or just not knowing how to defend.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-23-2010, 09:27 AM
One thing to note, melee attacks ignore shields. If your shields were dropping, it wasn't from the melee attacks.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-23-2010, 09:55 AM
if your shields are dropping and someone is moving to within mellee range

SEEK COVER
hiding behind rocks is very trek
/thread
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Melee is actually very bad and underpowered in the game due to poor game mechanics and terrible programming. At the lower ranks the Bat'leth is half decent but as soon as you start moving up the tiers it gets worse and worse. The higher you go the less effective it is until it finally becomes a laughing stock because theres no way you should be dying to someone wielding a bat'leth.

Why is it non-Trek? I remember watching many episodes where hand-to-hand combat was used more than phasers. Even in real life the military are taught how to do hand-to-hand even though they are given weapons that can kill a man a few hundred yards away.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-23-2010, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by inktomi19d View Post
When I "melee" on my engineer, I pretty much just close up to get a knockdown, but I'm relying on ranged weapons for actual damage. Like others have said, moving a lot takes care of the melee issues. It takes a little practice, but it's not a big deal.

Also, your regular palm-strike/rifle-butt should be enough to interrupt them and give you a chance to move away. It's not perfect, but it helps.

Melee in this game is really very hard, but it's a little easier to defend against than to do. To melee successfully you kind of depend on your opponent panicking, or just not knowing how to defend.
So do you kite them with dual pistols? I tried kiting with my rifle, doesn't exactly work, because rifle fire impairs movement speed. The pistols don't seem to do much damage to an eng, literally they could be chasing me across the map, my pistols tickle.