Lt. Commander
I just thought I would take the time to share my thoughts and experiences with STO and the players that post on these forums. (This in no way reflects how I feel about the players who I actually meet in-game)

So the concensus on this forum (or at least the majority of posts I have flitted through) is that STO is a broken, unfixable, lump of steaming dog crap and completely unplayable. All the people I talk to IN GAME seem to love the game or are generally satisfied with it as a whole. So that says a couple of things to me.

1. The forum is rife with people who would rather complain about the game endlessly, than play it.
2. The people who actually LIKE the game don't spend any time posting on the forum... because they are PLAYING.

Now really, I s'pose there are ALWAYS going to be malcontents in any game forum. Those that argue nonstop about canon, or graphics, or the UI, or the AI, or even something as trivial as "I can't sit down in a chair correctly...". I have my own fair share of issues with the game, but nothing that would warrant an aggressive post made to the Devs at Cryptic. I figure they are doing their best and since I am NOT a game developer and I have NO authority to tell them how to do their jobs... I will just keep m'damn mouth shut. Are there problems with the game? Sure, but nothing that deserves constant threats of leaving, or whiny *****-fests about specific powers (RSP for example), or entire threads dedicated to telling Cryptic how to do their jobs.

Exactly who do these players think they are? The customer is always right? Yeah, well I have worked in Customer Service jobs, and let me tell you... the customer is RARELY right. They complain about how the game has progressed (Which is leaps and bounds btw) and yet when I confront them about not seeing them on tribble, they have nothing to say. STO is the FIRST game I have ever seen that allows you to give input DIRECTLY to the Devs and they actually take your suggestions. Yet to have access to this amazing system... you have to play on tribble and give CONSTRUCTIVE suggestions. Not come to the forum and complain endlessly about why you hate everything.

I LOVE this game, and I find it vastly improved over the original launch. Hell, just the Autofire is a huge improvement for me. I haven't found any gamebreaking bugs, nor earth shattering glitches... maybe I am just one of the lucky ones. I am content to use the tools I am given in the game to create the most effective character I can. I play PvP as often as I can and don't complain if I lose a match or get focused on and ganked within 5 seconds. I enjoy each and every mission they give me to play, and even go so far as to read every single story element I am given to enhance my overall experience. My friends and I spend hours in the evenings helping each other complete missions, beat the fleet actions, and pvp each other till we are completely trekked out.

I love STO, and everytime I see an aggressive overbearing ***** fest directed at the Devs, I try to put myself in the Devs position. I feel bad for these people who work their asses off, who go above and beyond for US, who are doing the BEST JOB THEY CAN... and all we hand them are complaints.

Well just let me say, how sad... how truly sad that so many of these people look only at the negatives and don't appreciate the amazing world they were given. These people should seriously feel ashamed... like a child who threw a tantrum for 30 minutes because mommy wouldnt buy them candy.

And that is the "State of the Players".
Thank you
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-23-2010, 09:38 AM
Quote:
The customer always think they are right?
Fixed that for you.
Lt. Commander
# 3 Hmmmmmmmmmm
08-23-2010, 09:52 AM
/Agreed

Now...forgive me I have more forum...err.... game to play!!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-23-2010, 11:43 AM
Well, I agree with you to a certain extent. People are many times too quick to spout off in an incoherent manner, spewing forth crap about how they think they could do it better. This is because people only tend to post feedback when they are angry. They might be angry because they just crashed 3 times, and got 2 broken missions whilst fighting other players for systems in an over crowded B'tran. Angry players tend to make angry posts. I am probably guilty of making a few angry posts myself.

The trouble here is, there ARE numerous problems with this game, and I am not convinced the problems would be looked at and fixed if people werent on the forums spouting off. I highly doubt that the developers have the time to play the game very often, and for that reason they need players to provide feedback. Sometimes, content is just too hard, items too expensive, missions or graphics buggy, seemingly obvious features are missing, or something just plain doesnt work. Things like this are difficult to see when youre staring at a block of code.

You, and many others, may be perfectly happy with the game as is, and I am truly happy for you. However, many people like myself are not. I just wish that the latter group of people would exercise more self control with their posts so as to not make the rest of us look like a group of unappeasable children.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treagersama View Post
And that is the "State of the Players".
Thank you
I'm sorry, but you don't speak for me.

I have my own voice, my own opinion and your diatribe does not reflect my feelings, my intent nor my disposition, and I would kindly remind you that you do not speak for the majority. You can only speak for yourself. And most of all, you don't speak for me. Ever.

That is all.
Lt. Commander
# 6 Hypocrite much?
08-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMattSchwab

I have my own voice, my own opinion and your diatribe does not reflect my feelings, my intent nor my disposition, and I would kindly remind you that you do not speak for the majority. You can only speak for yourself. And most of all, you don't speak for me. Ever.

That is all.
I have to agree, it's awfully presumptuous and more than a little hypocritical to get on the forums and bash people for getting on the forums and bashing other people.

While I support the majority of the sentiment expressed and do feel many folks are way too hard on Cryptic on the forums (is this par for the course with Trek fans?) you might do well to express your own opinion and leave it at that.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treagersama View Post
1. The forum is rife with people who would rather complain about the game endlessly, than play it.
2. The people who actually LIKE the game don't spend any time posting on the forum... because they are PLAYING.
The most active players on my friends list are people I've met first on the forums and have encountered in-game.

So I'm not sure I can really agree with your two main points here. I meet and play with a lot of people who post frequently on these forums. In fact, in-game, you tend to meet them at their best. On the forums you tend to read what they have to say prior to them having their morning coffee or when they're distracted by RL world stuff like work, family, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Until my boss pays me to play ST:O during my working hours I'm limited to the forum. I have my gripes about the game but mostly I try to have fun or share information.

~D
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMattSchwab

That is all.
Well matt... as I don't recall making any reference to Capt Matt Schwab in my post, and using the pronoun "I" throughout the post, I would say your 100% correct on that point. I don't speak for you, ever.

Also, 'State of the Players" is simply how I feel ABOUT the state of the players on these forums. Specifically the state of aggression and anger and entitlement. I would never presume to speak for Capt Matt Schwab, as I am NOT Capt Matt Schwab. So thank you for clearing that up with everyone. I am certain they all appreciate it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizen_Giggles View Post
I have to agree, it's awfully presumptuous and more than a little hypocritical to get on the forums and bash people for getting on the forums and bashing other people.

While I support the majority of the sentiment expressed and do feel many folks are way too hard on Cryptic on the forums (is this par for the course with Trek fans?) you might do well to express your own opinion and leave it at that.
Only Hypocritical if my anger were directed at Cryptic...
Example:
"DAMMIT CRYPTIC, I can't BELIEVE you would sit here and let people BASH you like this!!! What the hell is WRONG with you!?!?!"

But no Shizen Giggles... as I pointed out to Captain Matt Schwab, I don't recall saying "we" at any point, nor making any reference to Shizen Giggles. So the presumption was yours.
Closed Thread