Lt. Commander
Star Trek: Darwin
by darren_kitlor

Latest Release: 02.07.2011 - Issue #5

February 7th

*You can download a high quality PDF in 150 dpi at GoogleDocs - the online viewer is considerably lower-res*

Series 1
  • (==| Issue #1: "Command Review - Part I" |==)
    Recently liberated from the Borg, Captain Jack Shepard's loyalties are in question - while the ship picks up a distress call on Moira III.

• (==| Issue #2: "Command Review - Part II" |==)
    Ethical questions over what to do with the new passenger arise - ones that place Captain Shepard and her First Officer at odds.

• (==| Issue #3: "Give Me Liberty and Death" |==)
    A fight erupts on Drozana Station between the Ship's Armory Chief and a Saurian Diplomat - setting back relations - and setting others up.

• (==| Issue #4: "A Warm Place, Part I" |==)
    The Darwin disappears in the B'Tran Nebula - leaving Cmdr. Reynolds and Ens. Lerhoz stranded on an alien world. Now, they must fend for themselves in the wild.

• (==| Issue #5: A Warm Place, pt. II now available |==)
    The crew of the Darwin must match wits with a Klingon Captain - before time runs out for their stranded shipmates.

• Issue #6: "Frou-Frou"
    Spoilers: Captain Shepard must speak at a civilian Daystrom Institute Summit on Risa.

• Issue #7: "Mother-Daughter"
    Spoilers: A clone of the Captain is found amongst a Borg Colony - with unsettling news about the direction their assimilation is taking.

• Issue #8: Outliers
    Spoilers: Xenophobia rises within the Federation as planets see refugees arrive from neutral factions in Eti Eridani and frontier worlds in the B'Tran Nebula.

• Issue #9: With God on Our Side
    Spoilers: A holy war between two species must be solved with Ens. Reisda (both host and symbiote) playing integral roles.

• Issue #10: Angry Young Men
    Spoilers: Friendship grows between the Armory Chief and Saurian Envoy as they develop a holodeck program.

• Issue #11: Suffrage
    Spoilers: The new navigator's rights are questioned by Starfleet Command - and a violent show of force by the Borg leads HQ to send the Darwin deeper into space.

• Issue #12: A Little More Than Kin...
    Spoilers: Commander Reynolds awaits execution for a crime long since forgotten amongst many Federation planets.

--- notes ---
I'll try to do this on a bi-weekly basis - as long as interest holds. I have a good idea of where I want overall narrative arc to go - despite this being a work-in-progress.

The quote on Issue #1, page 3 is from Dostoevsky. For space reasons, I omitted the name to conserve space.

I've never written a comic outside of doodles in class. It's a challenging medium to work in. You have the careful attention to language, the space considerations, and the need for strong visual-thinking.

This is a challenge as I come from a published-writing background - with few visual arts skills outside of computers.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-23-2010, 05:01 PM
This was very enjoyable. Thanks for posting.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-23-2010, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Topher-
This was very enjoyable. Thanks for posting.
Thanks!

I hope to have a new issue up shortly - and longer too! I wanted just a little teaser to generate interest (which motivates me to work on another in turn).

EDIT: I'm working on posting the rough sentence outlines of each episode for the first season - with spoilers before their release date. First Season should be 12 episodes. Release dates depending on a number of factors, including college.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-24-2010, 10:42 AM
The titles are up for change. I tried to make them feel Trekish - even though there are some allusions to everything from Shakespeare to Bob Dylan amongst them.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Speaking of speaking, one bubble I had a hard time reading. "I beam down in five minutes." Shouldn't there be a "will" in there? Just a thought.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormstryke
Speaking of speaking, one bubble I had a hard time reading. "I beam down in five minutes." Shouldn't there be a "will" in there? Just a thought.
I'll consider adding it. I realize that my "short-hand" speak from the Marines doesn't carry over well to the civilian sector.

Also, if I feel proud enough, I'll put together a print-quality version suitable for proper page binding.

Right now, the goal is around 4-7 pages per issue (not too long - enough to not wear out a welcome each week). That's anywhere from 48-84 pages toward the end plus credits and thanks to Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-24-2010, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormstryke
I beam down in five minutes
I leave in five

meh made sense to me. *shrug*
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Subscribed!
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
Subscribed!
Silly goose, turn on auto sub. :p

Great issue Darren. Can't wait until the next one. No really, can't wait *shoulders a wiffle ball bat* Chop chop
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-24-2010, 01:08 PM
This shows a lot of promise! Thank you for posting it!

I look forward to the next issue.