Lt. Commander
I know this is a very old topic and has been done a great many times. I'm thinking about a small writing project for fun and I'm looking for a little input from my fellow Trekkie to gauge how far I can push star trek tech in the star wars universe.

Here are a few things I'm considering in my work.

Holograms vs Sith / Bounty Hunter.

My plan is go with the Old Republic time frame which makes things a little less stringent. Now, in the encounter I want to create. My character is caught by two Jedi in the library of the Jedi Temple while the Jedi Temple is under siege by the Sith (TOR Trailier Deceived). Before any dialog is exchanged an explosion throws the library doors open with several retreating republic soldiers falling back into the library, followed by two or three Sith and a bounty hunter.

Now for the part relevant to my question, I want to use a hologram to take a few hits from the Bounty Hunter's blaster and a few blows from a Sith's Lightsaber to detect the modulation of the weapons and relay that information back to the main character's personal shields. Allowing the main character's personal shield to adapt.

Another thing I've been considering is using detailed scans of a Lightsaber to explain a way of altering a Phaser to destabilize and disable a lightsaber entirely.

The only other possible plot twist I might add would require a stretch of sci-fi and medicine. I'm considering having a minor character take a lightsaber thrust to the gut and survive by way of nanite assisted surgery.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Hi Exc

I know what you mean. l like Star Wars too and in my world these two franchises stand peacefully side by side.

To your questions. I think it's okay to use the hologram as an analyzer but it should be a Star Trek one because if the bounty hunter considers a typical bluish Star Wars hologram as a threat he must be a very dumb one and the Sith shouldn't be interested because they can feel that there is nothing behind it. Energy weapons need a modulation, a wave, a frequency like radio waves or light rays and with that you also should be able to analyze a light saber.

A disabled light saber happened seldom, yes there was a scale of a giant worm like creature and a bath in a sea. But you have analyzed the modulation of it and the saber blade is pure energy you just need to destabilize it. I would suggest a blast of energy to disrupt the blade like the ion cannon on Hoth did with the star destroyer. Because the energy blade is kept in shape by using energy (hard to believe ) you just have to disrupt the shaping energy field. Normally the Jedi/Sith would turn it off and on again so if you want it permanently off you have to step on it.

We know light saber blades are very hot, you remember Qui Gon melting his way through the blast doors and the cut off limbs in multiple scenes were all dry (except Ponda Baba in the Cantina scene). So there should be no bleeding and if the bowels weren't cut apart to badly and if the doc arrives in time it should be no problem to keep the person alive and treat him with the nanites.

By the way, please try to keep a balance between Star Trek tech and Star Wars tech. Now it looks like you are an uberguy having a solution for everything the Star Wars guys are throwing at you. I think they also know their craft and still have an ace up one's sleeve.

Acayas
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-17-2011, 05:22 PM
*Runs away screaming while shooting a toy phasor in one hand and swinging a toy lightsaber in the other.*
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Years ago we did a Star Wars Star Trek crossover. What would happen if Q swiched the Best Of Both Worlds fleet with the Endor Fleet?

Well the Star Trek fleet got it's ass handed to it until they discovered how to take down the Death Star shield.... then the Death Star was obliterated by concentrated fire from the remaining fleet and a suicide-shuttle run.

The Endor fleet... Beat the **** out of the Borg initally but the Borg adapted to fighter swarms and quickly turned it into a bloodbath for the Rebels.

Then Q switched everything back the right way and History took it's proper course.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-17-2011, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Marie
Years ago we did a Star Wars Star Trek crossover. What would happen if Q swiched the Best Of Both Worlds fleet with the Endor Fleet?

Well the Star Trek fleet got it's ass handed to it until they discovered how to take down the Death Star shield.... then the Death Star was obliterated by concentrated fire from the remaining fleet and a suicide-shuttle run.

The Endor fleet... Beat the **** out of the Borg initally but the Borg adapted to fighter swarms and quickly turned it into a bloodbath for the Rebels.

Then Q switched everything back the right way and History took it's proper course.
Yea I remember that... I didn't participate in it but I read along.

So, what kind of project are you working on? A story or what?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-17-2011, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutaris
Hi Exc

I know what you mean. l like Star Wars too and in my world these two franchises stand peacefully side by side.

To your questions. I think it's okay to use the hologram as an analyzer but it should be a Star Trek one because if the bounty hunter considers a typical bluish Star Wars hologram as a threat he must be a very dumb one and the Sith shouldn't be interested because they can feel that there is nothing behind it. Energy weapons need a modulation, a wave, a frequency like radio waves or light rays and with that you also should be able to analyze a light saber.

A disabled light saber happened seldom, yes there was a scale of a giant worm like creature and a bath in a sea. But you have analyzed the modulation of it and the saber blade is pure energy you just need to destabilize it. I would suggest a blast of energy to disrupt the blade like the ion cannon on Hoth did with the star destroyer. Because the energy blade is kept in shape by using energy (hard to believe ) you just have to disrupt the shaping energy field. Normally the Jedi/Sith would turn it off and on again so if you want it permanently off you have to step on it.

We know light saber blades are very hot, you remember Qui Gon melting his way through the blast doors and the cut off limbs in multiple scenes were all dry (except Ponda Baba in the Cantina scene). So there should be no bleeding and if the bowels weren't cut apart to badly and if the doc arrives in time it should be no problem to keep the person alive and treat him with the nanites.

By the way, please try to keep a balance between Star Trek tech and Star Wars tech. Now it looks like you are an uberguy having a solution for everything the Star Wars guys are throwing at you. I think they also know their craft and still have an ace up one's sleeve.

Acayas
I honestly wasn't expect any decent responses. In terms of how I view ST and SW in relation to one another I take the view "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away" to the literal sense. In the fictional world at least. Same universe, different time and space.

And I most certainly would be using star trek holographic tech.

The balance between the two universes is also something I see as being important. If I create a character that can solve any problem I can throw at him in two seconds flat it dissolves all the tension and I might as well not even bother. I want to show the strengths and the weaknesses of Star Trek tech but also the limitations.

eg, Coruscant is being sacked, oh that's no problem because we're cloaked.. direct hit!
Being invisible is great save for when you're in the middle of a planetary siege and getting indirectly hit from the attacking Sith ships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipdude14789
So, what kind of project are you working on? A story or what?
I've yet to decide how I'll approach this. I'm thinking extended short story formant or even episodic. I'm only doing this for fun and I'm no professional
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-18-2011, 05:11 AM
The problem is a hologram doesn't have built in sensors and a strong energy current passing through it can disrupt its matrix (brought up a few times with the EMH in Voyager). You could use a hologram as a lure to get someone to fire at a sensor net I suppose, but the first shot will start messing up the hologram. Please also note as was mentioned above, the Sith will know it's not a life form. Holograms, even perfect ones, can't fool a force adept.