Lt. Commander
Edit: Since the Enterprise J has been scraped this thread is no longer useful.

So I was a little late on reading the newest engineering report. Tonight when I got to it I saw a lot of things upcoming to be excited about. Also a bit bummed to see they are a bit far off because the current focus is on bug fixes. Yes I know we need the bug fixes there's just some cool additions in the works I wish were here now. Anyway I'm reading along thinking to myself how neat all this stuff is, and then I'm almost floored. No it can't be. They wouldn't, it's gotta be a typo. A bunch of new ships in the works, all sound great, then I see it, Enterprise J.

Come on, really? I think every ship we've ever seen in Star Trek should make it into this game at some point, with the Universe class being the only exception. Aside from it being ugly as sin, the ship is two miles long, so big it has site to site transport instead of turbo lifts. There is no way this think could work as a player ship. It's just a bad idea all around.

I know a lot of people take issue with the time line. Saying things like we shouldn't have connies cause they are to old, and it's not right to be mixing designs from all the shows. I could rattle off a bunch of plausible reasons why the older ships could still be in use. Not the Enterprise J though, even in the show it was a bad idea, in the game this thing would be a disaster. If they make it the right size how many weapon slots do you think the thing would have? 50? 100? Maybe more. There is no danger for a ship that size in this game. Balance would be gone. The only option would be to make it around the size of a T5 cruiser. So that leaves us with a model that is both very very wrong, and is just a train wreck to look at.

There is no place in this game for the enterprise J, and I urge you all to let cryptic know how you feel about this
Lt. Commander
# 2 Nooooo
08-24-2010, 04:37 AM
no J no J no J no J dont wont to see ENT crapy j
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-24-2010, 04:45 AM
Of course there is place for the J. Just because you don't like the way it looks isn't grounds to exclude it. And they aren't going to make it two miles long and kitted out with hundreds of weapon slots, that would be impractical and unbalanced. Maybe a scaled-down one isn't to your liking, but it's going to please a lot of people who want to fly it and another "X the death of Y" complaining thread isn't going to change that.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-24-2010, 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekuScrubby View Post
Of course there is place for the J. Just because you don't like the way it looks isn't grounds to exclude it. And they aren't going to make it two miles long and kitted out with hundreds of weapon slots, that would be impractical and unbalanced. Maybe a scaled-down one isn't to your liking, but it's going to please a lot of people who want to fly it and another "X the death of Y" complaining thread isn't going to change that.
Now it's not just me who doesn't like the way this thing looks, if you look at the results of the ship poll cryptic took out a few months back, the J is at the bottom.

If they don't make it the right size there is no reason to make it. I wouldn't be to upset at if they took that ugly model and made it the size of a star cruiser, it would just be one more silly looking design that I won't buy from the C-Store.

My fear is that when they say they are working on the Enterprise-J that they mean they are working on the Enterprise-J, not some knock off shrunk down version. You may disagree with every thing I have to say on the matter, but Cryptic states over and over that they want to hear what we think about what they are doing. That makes this a valid thread and feed back could stop them from moving on with this bad idea. It has happened before. And I believe there are enough people who do not want to see this monstrosity in the game that it can happen again. Plus they are going to try and sell this thing in the C-Store that alone means they are going to listen close on feedback before so they don't waste time on something no body wants to pay for.
Lt. Commander
# 5 No USS Uberprise
08-24-2010, 05:24 AM
I agree, there's no need for the Enterprise-J in STO. We already have the 200 year old Constitution and Excelsior running around in the name of people flying their "favorites". There has to be a limit. This shows up in game, I'll rethink subscription (I'm not sure about renewal right now).
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-24-2010, 05:40 AM
I don't think it should be a user playable ship. Instead I thought it might be a funny thing to put in orbit around the earth space dock as a april fools joke or something. Maybe it will be involved in some mission where you are attacked by some future enemies and the J has come back to help (like you had to in the gateway mission).
Lt. Commander
# 7 The J is the death of nothing
08-24-2010, 05:50 AM
Well I can speak for myself (anyone that wants to bump it for agreement, do so)

I feel VA's 'should' get a bigger better ship. I have 'toyed' with what has been released since I got my Star Cruiser in March and well I am back to my Nomad Star Cruiser and yes I know VA's are T-5

If the J takes a half a sector to get up to speed and/or to turn around so be it.
The J is almost two (2) miles long and when it is released it should be to scale for what it is.

VA's need a new ship - new rank (RA to VA) new bigger better ship.
Look at the D' deridex-class or better yet look at the Kazon-Ogla warship

Could be the dev's are going to make the J one of the T-6 ships for FA's ?? who knows, I sure see a lot of folks reading 'in to' what little info we get from the dev's and well - truth is
'We Don't Know'
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-24-2010, 05:58 AM
A bigger ship is one thing, the enterprise J is a mobile star base.
You could park your star cruiser inside like it was a shuttle craft.
Also there is nothing to "read into" here, it's a simple post, with a list of new ships, and the J is one of them.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-24-2010, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVargazm
Now it's not just me who doesn't like the way this thing looks, if you look at the results of the ship poll cryptic took out a few months back, the J is at the bottom.

If they don't make it the right size there is no reason to make it. I wouldn't be to upset at if they took that ugly model and made it the size of a star cruiser, it would just be one more silly looking design that I won't buy from the C-Store.

My fear is that when they say they are working on the Enterprise-J that they mean they are working on the Enterprise-J, not some knock off shrunk down version. You may disagree with every thing I have to say on the matter, but Cryptic states over and over that they want to hear what we think about what they are doing. That makes this a valid thread and feed back could stop them from moving on with this bad idea. It has happened before. And I believe there are enough people who do not want to see this monstrosity in the game that it can happen again. Plus they are going to try and sell this thing in the C-Store that alone means they are going to listen close on feedback before so they don't waste time on something no body wants to pay for.
I do disagree. The people who complain about the J don't represent enough of the userbase to prevent it. They're certainly the most vocal, but keep in mind that not even the whole userbase uses the forums, so even if a large percent of forum-users didn't want it it still wouldn't be enough. Also simply because it didn't do well in the poll doesn't mean everyone hates it, it just means people wanted the Excelsior and Nebula more. Scaling it down doesn't mean there's 'no reason to make it', it just means it'll fit in better among the other ships and won't be massively overpowered. It was never actually stated to be two miles long in canon either, only in the designers blogs, so there's room for creative freedom on Cryptic's part.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-24-2010, 06:31 AM
It will be fun. It likely won't be overbalanced. Fun comes before canon and thats about all there is to it. If you don't like it don't get one.