Lt. Commander
# 21
08-24-2010, 08:07 AM
We know absolutely nothing about the Enterprise-J. We have no idea about its history except for being in a different timeline. No idea about what weapons, engines, or armor it uses. We also have no idea about how big it is. The 2 mile length and purpose of the ship is something the designer of the Enterprise-J decided. It is not canon. The only thing canon about the ship is its look. It is quite possible to have a ship that looks exactly like the Enterprise-J in the early 25th Century and not be 2 miles long. If people already wasted money on a starship that doesn't belong in this timeline, then more people can waste money on another starship that doesn't belong in this timeline.

I cringe every time a Galaxy X passes by so just because you hate this ship means that you are too late to be arguing about it. If you want to stop the Enterprise-J from being created, then go back in time and stop the Galaxy-X. After alll, most argues that work for or against the Galaxy-X also work for the Enterprise-J
Lt. Commander
# 22
08-24-2010, 08:10 AM
Actually theres a huge difference between having a ship that does not belong in the "time line" and having a ship that does not belong in the "time frame"
Lt. Commander
# 23
08-24-2010, 08:24 AM
Timeline or Timeframe.

I don't really care.

There is a lot here in this game which I find unreasonable which die-hard trekkers will -not- part with.

I myself will not use the J, think its ugly

But, do I really care about it being 'immersion' ruining for a minority that seem to be ignoring half of what they wear/do/etc which breaks it moreso?

No, not really. Let those who wanna use it, use it. Like maximum sized breasts, liberated borg by the million, Mirror Universe bridge officer uniforms, Starfleet personnel running around with alien weaponry, the fact that any of -you- take the rank of yours 'Admiral' seriously, Undine, Borg, Klingon and Romulan war (not just invasions) all at once, Risa that doesn't look like Risa, alien weaponry on federation starships, and the list goes on...and on...and on.

Borg Tribble.

Infact, drop all your tribbles, the fact officers are breeding them at all is more of a break from trekality than even if an Imperial Star Destroyer was added as a c-store option.

Drop one, or all the above, + others...Then one can complain about one ship addition that breaks logic.
Lt. Commander
# 24
08-24-2010, 08:42 AM
It's not the timeline thing that makes the J so facepalm-tastic.

It's the fact that a ship that big and advanced will either be inaccurately portrayed in game (a Tier 5 cruiser skin with regular interiors) and be a waste of time, or will do everything it's supposed to (including the city-like interior with site-to-site transporters instead of turbolifts), and completely unbalance the game, especially for anyone wishing to use any other ship in PvP.

Seriously - on the scale front, the interior would have to be a map to rival DS9, at the very least, to even begin to represent the nature of the ship. How much content would we be missing out on if the level designers spent their time on it instead of regular location maps and the like?!? Seems like a waste of manpower and resources on Cryptic's part, IMO.

Let's not start on how the Klingon players will lose out (again!), seeing as there's no alternative for them.
Lt. Commander
# 25
08-24-2010, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
We know absolutely nothing about the Enterprise-J. We have no idea about its history except for being in a different timeline. No idea about what weapons, engines, or armor it uses. We also have no idea about how big it is. The 2 mile length and purpose of the ship is something the designer of the Enterprise-J decided. It is not canon. The only thing canon about the ship is its look. It is quite possible to have a ship that looks exactly like the Enterprise-J in the early 25th Century and not be 2 miles long. If people already wasted money on a starship that doesn't belong in this timeline, then more people can waste money on another starship that doesn't belong in this timeline.

I cringe every time a Galaxy X passes by so just because you hate this ship means that you are too late to be arguing about it. If you want to stop the Enterprise-J from being created, then go back in time and stop the Galaxy-X. After alll, most argues that work for or against the Galaxy-X also work for the Enterprise-J
Well aside from being overpriced and under powered I see nothing wrong with the GalaxyX. In the alt time line it was a refit. Just because the enterprise d didn't survive that long doesn't mean they wouldn't still make that refit of the galaxy class
Lt. Commander
# 26
08-24-2010, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVargazm
Now it's not just me who doesn't like the way this thing looks, if you look at the results of the ship poll cryptic took out a few months back, the J is at the bottom.
Say what? The J came in third.

Poll results here

The J has 1875 votes. Third behind the Excelsior and the Nebula. And ahead of The Oberth, NX and Ambassador.

Quote:
If they don't make it the right size there is no reason to make it.
Size was only a suggestion from the artist. It's never been shown what its actual size is.
Lt. Commander
# 27
08-24-2010, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius39

Drop one, or all the above, + others...Then one can complain about one ship addition that breaks logic.
I don't think it's so much about breaking logic as it is breaking the game. This ship will either be over powered game changer. Or just a useless skin. If its a skin great I won't buy it.
Lt. Commander
# 28
08-24-2010, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Shepherd
It's not the timeline thing that makes the J so facepalm-tastic.

It's the fact that a ship that big and advanced will either be inaccurately portrayed in game (a Tier 5 cruiser skin with regular interiors) and be a waste of time, or will do everything it's supposed to (including the city-like interior with site-to-site transporters instead of turbolifts), and completely unbalance the game, especially for anyone wishing to use any other ship in PvP.

Seriously - on the scale front, the interior would have to be a map to rival DS9, at the very least, to even begin to represent the nature of the ship. How much content would we be missing out on if the level designers spent their time on it instead of regular location maps and the like?!? Seems like a waste of manpower and resources on Cryptic's part, IMO.

Let's not start on how the Klingon players will lose out (again!), seeing as there's no alternative for them.
As I said in my previous post, there is no canon to state how big the Enterprise-J really is. ST: Enterprise never stated how big the ship was and that is the only info about the ship that counts. The designer of the ship mentioning various info about the abilities of the ship doesn't count. If you have a problem with the ship besides it being overpowered or too big, then you have a valid point, but don't use faulty info to justify your dislike for it. Just laugh at people that waste money on a bunch of ugly pixels or shake your head.
Lt. Commander
# 29
08-24-2010, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Say what? The J came in third.

Poll results here

The J has 1875 votes. Third behind the Excelsior and the Nebula. And ahead of The Oberth, NX and Ambassador.
Thats a big difference from when I placed my vote. I could sworn that thing was at the bottom. I don't understand what people see in the thing. Following that link just gave me a sinking feeling, if that many people voted for the J then there's enough people out there that want it. So be it if thats the case.

I just don't understand why people go by what the designers said for every other ship in the shows, but are willing to ignore this one.
Lt. Commander
# 30
08-24-2010, 10:06 AM
you watch most of the people that voted for the J are Expecting it to be 2 miles long and if it is not watch how many of them flip out and cry foul on cryptic. On the other hand if it is 2 miles long you will get the same response from the other side cry its unbalance. My fear is that if I am in a battle with someone in that ship it would be so big I wouldn’t be able to see what I was doing.