Lt. Commander
# 11
09-12-2010, 12:50 AM
You know I do like actually having crew assignments (although you need to work on these as it's not: Engineer Operations Officer, it's just Operations Officer), the one thign I'd add is the ability to promote a few of them to Captain as well.

And no, I don't mean Captain the postion, I mean the rank. I've always found it completely arse-backwards that the CO of a ship can jump all the way into the Admirality while the XO and senior officers are stuck at Commander?
Didn't anyone see Kirk, Spock, and Scotty? All at one time held the rank of Captain, and not all of them were 'the Captain'. One was the First Officer and another the Chief Engineer. The billet does not always limit a rank, if the one at the top as a higer rank then usual as well.

I'd like to promote my First Officer (and maybe a Department Head or two) to Captain and have them still serve on the ship. No reason they should be career stunted just because 'the Captain' is a Vice Admiral (or by that time an Admiral or Fleet Admiral? lol) That's already four + promotions ahead of them.

Of course that means adding another tier of training, but I can guess that many are like me, and have heaps of Bridge Officer skill points just waiting to be used, and adding up by the thousands.
Mechanically I reckon that would also make a complete re-write of the bridge consoles available on a ship as well.
PvP issues aside (which is not my concern, only PvE, sorry.) it's somewhat do-able, Especially with any high-tier ships.

But this is just my rusing aside. (Please don't quote any silly US Navy regulations that don't apply to a TV show about Captains. It's already been done with the movies, so too late.)
Basically, I support this idea, I just want to promote a BO one rank higher as well.
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-13-2010, 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solardream View Post
You know I do like actually having crew assignments (although you need to work on these as it's not: Engineer Operations Officer, it's just Operations Officer), the one thign I'd add is the ability to promote a few of them to Captain as well.

Basically, I support this idea, I just want to promote a BO one rank higher as well.
Engineering Operations Officer or Chief Engineer, Operations Officer is another Position altogether.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-25-2010, 10:58 PM
A push for more participation!
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-24-2010, 11:38 PM
One word: sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

I like this idea. This could go in sooooo many directions like having a Security Officer to reduce the effectiveness of a Boarding Party.

[quote=solardream]
I'd like to promote my First Officer (and maybe a Department Head or two) to Captain and have them still serve on the ship. No reason they should be career stunted just because 'the Captain' is a Vice Admiral (or by that time an Admiral or Fleet Admiral? lol) That's already four + promotions ahead of them.

Of course that means adding another tier of training, but I can guess that many are like me, and have heaps of Bridge Officer skill points just waiting to be used, and adding up by the thousands.
[/b]

I like this, but we need to think of cryptic and not impacting the current bridge lay out. I think this should be limited to your first officer. Only one officer could be a Captain and lock this in. If you want another you'd have to discharge and promote the new officer. The "Captain" level skill points could modify Career specific skills, i.e., a Tactical First Officer would modify Starship Training skills: Command, Vectors, Maneuvers, and Strategy.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-25-2010, 12:28 AM
I have to say, I agree that this is a great idea.

If it's true they are allowing one to have a first officer and 7 bridge positions in season 3, then that's just awesome right there. Even designating a first officer is awesome in it's own right.

Hopefully down the line, more interesting and cool features with the crew will be implemented. I've heard rumors of future seasons having more things involving the crew, and crew changes coming down the pipe in the future. Good things coming in my opinion, and stuff I can't wait to see implemented in game.
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-25-2010, 03:04 AM
I'm not too bothered about actual ranks, but I would love to be able to give my BOs positions on board my ship. I even have a BO I already use as a 'first officer' (ie, she stays on board the ship and is supposedly in command while I am on ground missions), but would love to be able to actually give her the position.

I also think that any communications that come from your officers during missions should come from the correct person, like if an enemy ship has just been spotted on sensors, the comm would come through from either my Ops officer, or my first officer.

Edit: Oh, and I also think that your BO's should not always be on your bridge if they have these positions, like science officers down i the labs, or my chief medical officer hanging out in sickbay. But, this will involve some more work on the ships first.
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhyle
I have to say, I agree that this is a great idea.

If it's true they are allowing one to have a first officer and 7 bridge positions in season 3, then that's just awesome right there. Even designating a first officer is awesome in it's own right.

Hopefully down the line, more interesting and cool features with the crew will be implemented. I've heard rumors of future seasons having more things involving the crew, and crew changes coming down the pipe in the future. Good things coming in my opinion, and stuff I can't wait to see implemented in game.
I really hoping to find out so much more about season 4! I don't care if they took my ideas exactly as long as it is along the lines and makes it feel more Trek!
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-19-2010, 01:05 PM
I have to agree with this. However, for BOFFs only, maybe some new ranks could be implemented.

Ensign
Lieutenant junior grade
Lieutenant
Lieutenant commander (highest rank)

Take out commander all together, and that would be reserved for your FO who would have a special power. This would be mostly a text change. However I think something similar may be rolling out with the crew revamp in season 4.