Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
I am glad the idea to kill off Seven was changed. Can you picture Voyager withour her?

this is what was posted over at Syfy:

http://blastr.com/2010/08/brannon-braga-wanted-to-k.php
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Yup sure can. Would have been zero skin off my back too. Sadly I can imagine the ratings would have suffered somewhat without her.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-24-2010, 10:56 AM
He wanted to kill her off in the finale instead of future Janeway.

Honestly, I don't think it would have made any difference aside from making the finale more memorable.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-24-2010, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
Yup sure can. Would have been zero skin off my back too. Sadly I can imagine the ratings would have suffered somewhat without her.
I don't think the ratings with Voyager were all that impressive anyway, especially once the "ogling" factor over 7 of 9 died down a little.

Let's face it, TNG was successful in part because it was a syndicated show (how many shows are syndicated during their run anymore ). That meant the networks couldn't tell Roddenberry or other Executive Producers how to run their show. If Roddenberry had lived up to Enterprise, I think he'd have never agreed to part of a network again, especially after his experience with NBC. And becoming part of a network is what I think helped kill Voyager and Enterprise (which, I'll admit, isn't the only reason).

It also turned the poor DS9 series into the red-headed step child of the Star Trek universe.

[/rant]
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-24-2010, 11:19 AM
Killing characters (especially popular ones, and love her or hate her, 7of9 was popular) is often just cheap and manipulative. Set 'em up and knock 'em down.

Rarely, it is done well enough to be artistic and meaningful. Usually it's about some writer who wants to make his bones by shocking the audience. Some people call this fearless. I don't agree. It's the kid at the beach kicking over his sandcastle before he goes home so noone else can play with it. It's selfish. It's a great big "Look at me! Look how awesome and powerful I am! I can make you love, I can make you cry! Dance puppets!". It's the mentality of the bully and the demogogue.

That said, it would have happened in the last episode of the series and there was no real feature film future for that franchise anyways. It would have been a little less 'deus ex machina' than future-Janeway muddying the timeline to assuage her guilt (and where are the g-d Time Cops when stuff like this happens?), but not necessarily better or worse.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Ture, but when you do kill off the main guys, you might mess up any come backs you have planned later. Like in film form. But it did work with Spock, he was killed off in Khan, and came back at the end of Trek 3.

In Sevens case, I think it would be a shame to have her go out like that, it would leave a bad taste in the fans mouth. l
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-24-2010, 11:44 AM
i hate deaths in last episodes, pretty pointless even if its a big sacrifice. i dont like investing years of emotion into watching these characters to see them fall at the last hurdle.

no need to kill her

neelix on the other hand......
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Hey at least they gave Neelix a family to get rid of him. lol
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Killing 7 would have been interesting, but I don't think would have made the series finale any more poignant, or "Human Error" (great as it was). I think a more interesting what if is how 7 will intergrate (or not) into Federation society as a whole.

No one really dies in Star Trek anyway. Even ol' Tasha Yar comes back every now and then.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-24-2010, 09:36 PM
I never was a 7 of 9 fan....but I liked her way better then that Ocampa fool in the beginning.

However Braga....I am not a fan. I wish he'd never touched Trek....

He's up there with JJ in my book of Trek alum that should never have stepped foot onto a starship.