Lt. Commander
# 11
08-25-2010, 08:28 AM
Yeah I hate it when the Fedball summons all those extra Federation NPC ships that never go away unless you kill them.
I agree the game a "do not auto-target pets" ability.
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-25-2010, 10:26 AM
You think carriers spawn lots of junk now? Ah i will never forget the good old days when each carrier put out 3 times more space junk.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-25-2010, 02:40 PM
I've had a rough day but it's always nice to come back to STO for some of the good stuff. I'm not talking about this thread of course, just saying that STO is fun even with carrier and mine spam.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekkameron View Post
You think carriers spawn lots of junk now? Ah i will never forget the good old days when each carrier put out 3 times more space junk.
Yeah I remember when originally it wasn't a Bug..

Then it became a Bug..

Hanger Swap to spawn pets was lovely.

Now then to the OP at hand..

The Klingon Vor'quv Carrier has 2 Major Hindernences to make up for it's ability to spawn pets:
1. Slow turn rate/high inertia
2. Inability to cloak with out MES I, II, or III

Pet spam is not as bad as you make it out to be, dkt0404. Even with Mines, Photonic Fleet, Fleet Support, To'duj fighters and 5 other players it's not THAT terribly hard to target who your trying to target manually.

Honestly, I think the funniest Arena match would be 5 Klingon Carriers each with Mines (Non Tricobolt) and To'duj fighters creeping towards the Fed Spawn point, while the Feds are waiting for the Alpha strike.
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-25-2010, 03:36 PM
They should just make Carriers like Masterminds in City of Villains.

MuuuuuHahaha.....

I'll be the first to build out my Ninjas/Poison Carrier.
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-25-2010, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekkameron View Post
I like the KLingon Carrier very much and also wish they had a more-cov style control of squadrons. I
just hate that fleet support ability as my targeting does get screwed by it for a few seconds before I adjust.
Damnedable glasses.
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Im yet to play with the carriers yet (im a captain) but I can't see how they cause that much of an issue. Especially when you considor science officers get a photonic fleet option which basically does the same thing.

The way I currently look at it is the carrier is the only ship Klingons have that have an actual bonus to them. The Federation for example have Science ships with the target subsystems ability. That ability alone is enough to kill people off quite easily when you are facing 2 or more science ships.

Klingons have to wait until they are in the final tier to have a ship that can employ 'special' options such as those subsystem attacks. What you fail to realise now though is with the addition of the retrofit ships Cryptic have actually undermined the Klingons by giving a battle cloak to a ship that arguably does more damage than Klingon variants in the first place, science ships that have upgraded shields in addition to their susbsystem attacks and cruisers that... Well im not sure exactly what the whole separation thing does yet.

But either way if you look at it even from a neutral standing point you can see that the favor lies in Federation massively.

In my humble opinion I think Klingon cloaks should give a damage buff upon decloak for 5-10 seconds. This would give Klingon ships something 'nice' that they are currently missing in comparison to the feds and it would also encourage BoP's to fight how they should, hit and run tactics...
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-25-2010, 08:35 PM
The last half dozen games I've played had a carrier (sometimes two). Someone on the Klingon side spawned a bunch of Vor'cha's (I've seen 6 at once), plus several Neh'vars PLUS seveal birds of prey PLUS all the fighters. Thats nuts for a PVP match.
That means 2/3rds to 3/4s of the Klingon fleet was AI and completely outnumbered the feds in every match.

That was consistantly happening each game. Tab targeting was completely useless and clicking was friggin difficult to target who you wanted due to all the ships overlapping.

What I'm saying is that in a PVP match, I'd like to fight people. Not a dozen AI ships AND the people.

If you can add a setting to target the next/nearest PLAYER ship instead of a AI unit then that would solve a big part of the problem.

The mass AI spawning however is just beyond silly in a PVP match. Exactly what are the feds supposed to do when it's 15+fighters to 3? Thats crazy even if some of them have reduced effect for being phanom ships.

At the very least the units need to die when the generating player does. Currently they do not seem to be.
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-25-2010, 08:42 PM
The photonic ships are very easy to kill, you can cut them down in short order. It's worth killing them, their damage is actually pretty decent... Carrier-spawned Fighters and BoPs are both on respawn timers so if you kill them in short order they wont be back for a bit, especially BoPs (3 minutes!). And both sides have access to Fleet Support ships which are far tougher than what a Carrier can spawn.

A coordinated team could also break contact, which will despawn fleet support & photonic ships.
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-26-2010, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaboy View Post
They should just make Carriers like Masterminds in City of Villains.

MuuuuuHahaha.....

I'll be the first to build out my Ninjas/Poison Carrier.
That was my first character back during issue 6-7ish. I still enjoy playing that character when ever I do play.. Even though that character is now a Hero Mastermind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkeh86 View Post

Im yet to play with the carriers yet (im a captain) but I can't see how they cause that much of an issue. Especially when you considor science officers get a photonic fleet option which basically does the same thing.

The way I currently look at it is the carrier is the only ship Klingons have that have an actual bonus to them. The Federation for example have Science ships with the target subsystems ability. That ability alone is enough to kill people off quite easily when you are facing 2 or more science ships.

Klingons have to wait until they are in the final tier to have a ship that can employ 'special' options such as those subsystem attacks. What you fail to realise now though is with the addition of the retrofit ships Cryptic have actually undermined the Klingons by giving a battle cloak to a ship that arguably does more damage than Klingon variants in the first place, science ships that have upgraded shields in addition to their susbsystem attacks and cruisers that... Well im not sure exactly what the whole separation thing does yet.

But either way if you look at it even from a neutral standing point you can see that the favor lies in Federation massively.

In my humble opinion I think Klingon cloaks should give a damage buff upon decloak for 5-10 seconds. This would give Klingon ships something 'nice' that they are currently missing in comparison to the feds and it would also encourage BoP's to fight how they should, hit and run tactics...
I probobly should have stopped reading at the part where you admited to not having much experience with the Tier 5+ Ships, but I did anyway.. and some corrections: Defiant Retrofit does not have a Battle Cloak. And Decloaking DOES give a damage buff. Also, the Ublative Hull of the Intrepid Retrofit disables their shields and weapons, last I read. And the Saucer Seperation of the Galaxy Retrofit increases the speed and turn rate of the Galaxy retrofit. Also the Galaxy Retrofit has it's own abilities and can fire it's own series of weapons while if floats around the battle field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyShoe View Post

The photonic ships are very easy to kill, you can cut them down in short order. It's worth killing them, their damage is actually pretty decent... Carrier-spawned Fighters and BoPs are both on respawn timers so if you kill them in short order they wont be back for a bit, especially BoPs (3 minutes!). And both sides have access to Fleet Support ships which are far tougher than what a Carrier can spawn.

A coordinated team could also break contact, which will despawn fleet support & photonic ships.
Indeed. Photonic Fleet is useful, but not necessarely the best skill out there. It's handy as both a distraction, and to help take down a target, but they aren't going to do it by themselves. And since they are photonic their hulls are only a half a burst away from "blowing them up".

The biggest target issue isn't with the Carrier Pets as much as with Mine Spam, imo. But even that can be countered. Everything in the game has a counter. You just have to try to have some way to use that counter effectively. Especially where Pet AI, and massive amounts of pets in the area are concerned.

If you truelly want to practice PVPing with alot of enemies on the screen, go to Ker'rat. That will help you with your targeting problems faster then complaining for a nerf on the forums will.