Lt. Commander
# 1 Is this game worth buying?
08-25-2010, 08:17 AM
Hi all,

I posted my review of the game a while ago and I wasn't pleased with the inordinate amount of lag in Sol making the game quite literally unplayable for me. Recent server optimizations have fixed that problem it seems and I managed to finish the demo with no further issues. That being said I have enjoyed the game so far. Ground and space combat seem very simplistic (reminiscent of Pirates!) but I don't mind that too much since I just hit a fat bong and lasers are very "whoa!" to me. I was about to subscribe only to find I wouldn't be paying 15$ monthly initially but 33$ since I have to purchase the game.

It gave me some pause and I read around the forums hearing people calling Cryptic "Craptic" and complaining about this and that which is not abnormal for an MMO since you can't please everyone so my question to the player base: Is this game really worth buying? Or should I save my money for better things?
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-25-2010, 08:26 AM
No offense intended to you Scoundrelus, but you should realize that many people will not answer your question truthfully for fear of the consequences.

I cannot explain the details of those possible consequences, as all discussion of moderator action is against the forum rules.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-25-2010, 08:32 AM
I'm sorry but I'm a bit confused by that answer. Is it against forum rules to give a negative/positive opinion of the game?
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-25-2010, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoundrelus
Hi all,

I posted my review of the game a while ago and I wasn't pleased with the inordinate amount of lag in Sol making the game quite literally unplayable for me. Recent server optimizations have fixed that problem it seems and I managed to finish the demo with no further issues. That being said I have enjoyed the game so far. Ground and space combat seem very simplistic (reminiscent of Pirates!) but I don't mind that too much since I just hit a fat bong and lasers are very "whoa!" to me. I was about to subscribe only to find I wouldn't be paying 15$ monthly initially but 33$ since I have to purchase the game.

It gave me some pause and I read around the forums hearing people calling Cryptic "Craptic" and complaining about this and that which is not abnormal for an MMO since you can't please everyone so my question to the player base: Is this game really worth buying? Or should I save my money for better things?
i love the game
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-25-2010, 08:36 AM
The game is good and I didnt regret buying it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-25-2010, 08:41 AM
If you enjoyed it, buy the game and see if you continue to enjoy it for the next 30 days (free gametime included with the box price).

After that, if you're still having fun then subscribe on a monthly basis. Enjoy it after that next month? Maybe consider paying for more than a month at a time for a cost saving.

Stop enjoying it at any stage? Find a new game, maybe pop your head back into STO in a few months to see how things have changed and if you enjoy it again!

I do/did the same with Planetside (cancelled after a few months), EVE Online (cancelled after a couple of years), Warhammer Online (cancelled after a year), World of ******** (cancelled after a few months), City of Heroes (never cancelled, ever) and this game (speculatively bought a Pre-Release Lifetime subscription, and enjoying just fine - would be monthly sub'd even if I was paying month to month)

I still pop my head into the other games I'm cancelled on to see how development is going - MMO's change over time, one of th ebest (and worst) things about the genre.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-25-2010, 08:46 AM
There are things in the game that are so wrong but there are also things that Cryptic have done so right. Improving the game seems to be Cryptic overall goal. They have been working to correct the things that people have complained about and to make the things that are good even better. So it depends on what your looking for, if you are looking and are willing to wait to see a good game become great then you should subscribe now and get started.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap-Robo View Post
If you enjoyed it, buy the game and see if you continue to enjoy it for the next 30 days (free gametime included with the box price).

After that, if you're still having fun then subscribe on a monthly basis. Enjoy it after that next month? Maybe consider paying for more than a month at a time for a cost saving.

Stop enjoying it at any stage? Find a new game, maybe pop your head back into STO in a few months to see how things have changed and if you enjoy it again!

I do/did the same with Planetside (cancelled after a few months), EVE Online (cancelled after a couple of years), Warhammer Online (cancelled after a year), World of ******** (cancelled after a few months), City of Heroes (never cancelled, ever) and this game (speculatively bought a Pre-Release Lifetime subscription, and enjoying just fine - would be monthly sub'd even if I was paying month to month)

I still pop my head into the other games I'm cancelled on to see how development is going - MMO's change over time, one of th ebest (and worst) things about the genre.
You make a good point. I currently have three EVE Online accounts and will probably never leave EVE but I need SOMETHING to play when I'm being camped into a station with 50 people outside and this game has a nice arcade feel I enjoy. Maybe I'll give it a go.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-25-2010, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoundrelus
Hi all,

Until they truly bring the Klingon's up to the same level as the Federation content wise I would have to say No, in it's current state it is not worth buying especially if your looking to play as a Klingon.

Players will point out that Klingon's were suppose to be a PvP only faction, but it has gone beyond that now. Klingon's need to have the same amount of content as the Federation if they want to see their player base to grow, a lot of players are quiting in disgust because the Klingon's are not getting the content they very much need.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnonSeek View Post
Until they truly bring the Klingon's up to the same level as the Federation content wise I would have to say No, in it's current state it is not worth buying especially if your looking to play as a Klingon.

Players will point out that Klingon's were suppose to be a PvP only faction, but it has gone beyond that now. Klingon's need to have the same amount of content as the Federation if they want to see their player base to grow, a lot of players are quiting in disgust because the Klingon's are not getting the content they very much need.
Jup, not much to add, exept that watch out what you wish for in polls as it might get up to C-Store.