Lt. Commander
# 11
08-25-2010, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoundrelus
Hi all,

I posted my review of the game a while ago and I wasn't pleased with the inordinate amount of lag in Sol making the game quite literally unplayable for me. Recent server optimizations have fixed that problem it seems and I managed to finish the demo with no further issues. That being said I have enjoyed the game so far. Ground and space combat seem very simplistic (reminiscent of Pirates!) but I don't mind that too much since I just hit a fat bong and lasers are very "whoa!" to me. I was about to subscribe only to find I wouldn't be paying 15$ monthly initially but 33$ since I have to purchase the game.

It gave me some pause and I read around the forums hearing people calling Cryptic "Craptic" and complaining about this and that which is not abnormal for an MMO since you can't please everyone so my question to the player base: Is this game really worth buying? Or should I save my money for better things?
i understand your desire to get feedback, but do you really rely that much on other peoples opinion?

either you liked it enough to buy and play or you didnt.

15 a month is not much, and a 1 time purchase of 33 bucks is nothing either. i am sure you have blown that type of money before without asking hte whole world their opinion prior.
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-25-2010, 09:36 AM
For the 20$ or less you can find it for I would say defiantly yes. Even if you only get the one free month out of it it's a great buy at that price. While the game does lack in some areas cryptic seems very devoted to making it better. Most of the changes since launch have been good and seem to be taking the game in a positive direction. I have tried allot of MMOs and found myself back here. IMO, next to WoW, which I got bored with after 4 years, STO is one of the top MMOs out there. Others may disagree but the only way to know for sure is to try it yourself. And like I said at 20$ it's worth a shot.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_James_of_Cadiz
i understand your desire to get feedback, but do you really rely that much on other peoples opinion?

either you liked it enough to buy and play or you didnt.

15 a month is not much, and a 1 time purchase of 33 bucks is nothing either. i am sure you have blown that type of money before without asking hte whole world their opinion prior.
I rely more on the constructive opinions of others. For example "this game sucks don't buy it" is a comment I'd ignore but a constructive comment outlining the ups and downs of the game is very valuable. We all do it, or else Gamespot, IGN, etc. wouldn't exist.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoundrelus
I rely more on the constructive opinions of others. For example "this game sucks don't buy it" is a comment I'd ignore but a constructive comment outlining the ups and downs of the game is very valuable. We all do it, or else Gamespot, IGN, etc. wouldn't exist.
lol, and relying on the postings off the internet is?

i get your point. i do. anyone could sit here and offer pros and cons all day. in the end, no matter the postings, it is still your decision.

and then who will you blame if you dislike the game further on? those who offered support for it?
and what if you happen to like the game? do you consider all the negative critisism without merit then as well?

you can get all the feedback in the world, but you will never know how you like something until you try it yourself.

and as i said...this is the internet. (dont think i need to expand on that one)
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Lifetime subscriber, no regrets.
Been playing constantly since Closed Beta.
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-25-2010, 10:55 AM
this is star trek... the only star trek mmo ever... and for that you'll know that it have the best IP in the world... better than star wars...
with that in mind, you just know this game is going to be around for a long time... and heck not even wow was perfect in the first year...
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
No offense intended to you Scoundrelus, but you should realize that many people will not answer your question truthfully for fear of the consequences.

I cannot explain the details of those possible consequences, as all discussion of moderator action is against the forum rules.
Dear Scoundrelus,

I am not this bad of a coward. Losing my ability to post on these forum, nay, being banned from the game (within one year I can still dispute the charge) will not stop me from telling the truth. Even if I did lose my 230$ for my lifetime subscription, at this point, my wife and I already consdier the money lost, the decision bad, and the lesson learned.

The game is getting worse, not better. The gameplay is getting more tedious and grind oriented (want to max a crit, sure, 8 hours a day for 4 months), PvP was sabotaged from the beginning, the Klingons (me) left, there are like 7 masochists left, Fed vrs fed pvp seems alive, so there ya go. The CStore, (pay to play, even if you've already payed) is getting LOTS of love and hard work, no one is buying though.

My wife and I bought two lifetime accounts in a flourish of "dumb" . Once we bought two new computer with ATI cards (STO has MAJOR ATI problems, all tiers, all cards, clueless devs blame ATI for not answering their email, (ATI is like 'Wha?') the game was not worth working with. when we play it on another box, no one else is playing , really.

It is both of our opinion that the game will continue to employ Cryptic employee's until the capitol runs out, then the servers will close with little warning.
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-25-2010, 11:40 AM
is this game worth buying ? At the moment not really... i would give it a few months and wait and see...

At the moment when your character reaches endgame there isn't anything to do, and with broken exploration sectors you will do most of the endgame grinding ALONE..... and now we have the fatal error bug which randomly crashes the game....

The exploration teaming has been broken for over a month now, and the couple of attempts by cryptic to fix it have failed... hell dstall has been talking about remaking btran exploration zone as a fix which kinda imply's the dev team don't know their own engine and are absolutely clueless...... the same can be said about the fatal error bug, dstals reply about that might have well said "we have no idea how to fix this problem"....

At the moment this is the only MMO that actually discourages you from teaming....

As for the social aspect of the game, i have seen many in my friends list and fleet not come on any more, and most of them are lifers..... if dstal doesn't actually act like a game leader and do something about his incompetent dev team i don't see this game lasting another 6 months....
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-25-2010, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Lifetime subscriber, no regrets.
Been playing constantly since Closed Beta.
Ditto- some disapointments, but no regrets for having gone lifer.
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie223
Once we bought two new computer with ATI cards (STO has MAJOR ATI problems, all tiers, all cards, clueless devs blame ATI for not answering their email, (ATI is like 'Wha?') the game was not worth working with. when we play it on another box, no one else is playing , really. .
I have ATI and never had problems.