Lt. Commander
Since there has been a request to get an Refit of the Constitution Class going for Tier 5 (what? What?!) I figured it wouldn't be "too" ridiculous to also get some ass kicking Starfleet Starship Phasers that are not like collimator rings with beams that do a lot of "peeeeeeeeeeew peeeeeeeeeeew" but fire more like the in the ST II movie Starship Phasers for the Federation that fire more like "pffft! pffft! pffft! pffft! pffft! pffft!".

In all honestly the current 360 degree turrets in game, those beams are too short in length. The beam dual and heavy dual cannosn are much to thick to mimic.

So, they really look like this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=PF6ODUTEHP4

Stylistically different. Maybe even gamemechanic wise... up to the devs really.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-01-2010, 03:58 PM
I like the ship phasers seen in WoK, I think adding them would be cool. Along with other things like TOS transporter effects, TOS hand phasers...along the same lines as those.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-01-2010, 04:40 PM
I think those are either Turrets or Cannons in STO. It would be cool to have the arc/damage of a Beam Array with rapid fire bolts instead, but then it wouldn't be all that visually unique next to cannons.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirnea
Since there has been a request to get an Refit of the Constitution Class going for Tier 5 (what? What?!) I figured it wouldn't be "too" ridiculous to also get some ass kicking Starfleet Starship Phasers that are not like collimator rings with beams that do a lot of "peeeeeeeeeeew peeeeeeeeeeew" but fire more like the in the ST II movie Starship Phasers for the Federation that fire more like "pffft! pffft! pffft! pffft! pffft! pffft!".

In all honestly the current 360 degree turrets in game, those beams are too short in length. The beam dual and heavy dual cannosn are much to thick to mimic.

So, they really look like this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=PF6ODUTEHP4

Stylistically different. Maybe even gamemechanic wise... up to the devs really.
Depends what you consider "p;d school" when it comes to Trek.

The bulbous turrets were only seen in the movies.

In TOS (original), the phasers emanated from the bottom sensor dome, and made a continuous pulsing sound. Strangely, te photon torpedoes came from the same place on the model. Can be proved easily too - if you're willing to visit the Smithsonian Museum in Washington D.C. There, the have the original 11-foot TOS model on display in their Media section 0 complete with lack of detail on the right side (that's where the mount was - for the ship traveling right-to-left the ship was recorded using a left-to-right pan - and the image flipped in post)

Pictoral example: From "The Alternative Factor" - USS Enterprise firing at the planet's surface:

Fire all weapons!
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-01-2010, 05:07 PM
I happened to notice that it was the refit Enterprise and not sporting the A designation...what's up with that? Yea, off topic.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcnighthawk View Post
I happened to notice that it was the refit Enterprise and not sporting the A designation...what's up with that? Yea, off topic.
Quite simply mate the A wasn't seen till the very end of ST:IV since the original got blown up in III and they spent most of IV is a BoP. Surely you know that though.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callasan View Post
Depends what you consider "p;d school" when it comes to Trek.

The bulbous turrets were only seen in the movies.

In TOS (original), the phasers emanated from the bottom sensor dome, and made a continuous pulsing sound. Strangely, te photon torpedoes came from the same place on the model. Can be proved easily too - if you're willing to visit the Smithsonian Museum in Washington D.C. There, the have the original 11-foot TOS model on display in their Media section 0 complete with lack of detail on the right side (that's where the mount was - for the ship traveling right-to-left the ship was recorded using a left-to-right pan - and the image flipped in post)

Pictoral example: From "The Alternative Factor" - USS Enterprise firing at the planet's surface:

Fire all weapons!
Yep, I know but we have the Blue Phasers already from the ToS Constitution class in game so this is request for the ToS-Movie old school stuff.