Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
When you die and respawn in an arena match your ship starts at zero power levels. Your ship is vulnerable - aux powers are weak and you have no firepower. But we all know that FvK arena matches almost invariably end up at the Fed spawn point. And if the feds start getting rolled their ships start getting targeted on spawn when they are very weak in most aspects.

I don't think this is good gameplay and its not necessary to start ships off at zero power. In a PVP match ships should start at 50/50/50/50, imo.

A small fix but it would be a good one.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-26-2010, 07:43 PM
I'll go one step further and suggest that they also need to reinforce the spawn points. Add turrets or something like in the C&H maps...I don't know. They need to find a way to allow the Feds to regroup after being wiped out. In my opinion, that's one of the most glaring flaws of the Arena system.

Sure, you'd get guys sitting in their spawn points and refusing to leave, but is that so much different than a Klingon refusing to de-cloak?
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-26-2010, 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyShoe
When you die and respawn in an arena match your ship starts at zero power levels. Your ship is vulnerable - aux powers are weak and you have no firepower. But we all know that FvK arena matches almost invariably end up at the Fed spawn point. And if the feds start getting rolled their ships start getting targeted on spawn when they are very weak in most aspects.

I don't think this is good gameplay and its not necessary to start ships off at zero power. In a PVP match ships should start at 50/50/50/50, imo.

A small fix but it would be a good one.
As I said to the guy complaining about this in the arena. If you moved away from your spawn point then you wouldn't be camped there! I suggest going to the middle of the map as fast as possible. It's what us klinks do.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-26-2010, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmonty View Post
I'll go one step further and suggest that they also need to reinforce the spawn points. Add turrets or something like in the C&H maps...I don't know. They need to find a way to allow the Feds to regroup after being wiped out. In my opinion, that's one of the most glaring flaws of the Arena system.

Sure, you'd get guys sitting in their spawn points and refusing to leave, but is that so much different than a Klingon refusing to de-cloak?
oh, you mean freeloaders. I wish there was a way to report them. As for klingons refusing to decloak that actually play the game.. Never seen it happen. Have been held hostage by feds refusing to decloak and finish the game though. An 'exit arena' button would be nice!
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-27-2010, 12:05 AM
I don't like the zero power thing, either. But that the combat end up at the Fed spawn point seems to be an artifact of it no longer being selected randomly. Get that back, and the problem is lessened. I still think the energy penalty is too punishing overall - you already need all the time to fly back (possibly full impulsing) and to wait for the respawn timer. I think that's punishment enough.

Reeinforcing the spawn points is problematic, especially if we go back to random spawning - how do the turrets know that you are a friendly now? Maybe it could be done by making those turrets ignore newly spawning ships for 30 seconds or so.

Turrets might make an interesting addition to the existing maps - suddenly you might have the goal to drive your enemy into a turreted area and avoid it yourself. Which would be an argument to move the turrets to the top and bottom areas of the map, so people avoid it more and stay in the "interesting" parts with asteroids and debris...
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Quote:
I suggest going to the middle of the map as fast as possible. It's what us klinks do.
That's because klingons have cloaks. FvF often occurs in the middle of the map, and so does KvK. But Federation players are most often subject to this problem, since Federation players are leery of full impulsing into an ambush.

In any case, just because it can be avoided doesn't mean it should be this way. Getting spawncamped is bad enough as it is - there's no reason for a double whammy.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-27-2010, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyShoe
That's because klingons have cloaks. FvF often occurs in the middle of the map, and so does KvK. But Federation players are most often subject to this problem, since Federation players are leery of full impulsing into an ambush.

In any case, just because it can be avoided doesn't mean it should be this way. Getting spawncamped is bad enough as it is - there's no reason for a double whammy.
You don't have to go all the way to the middle. About 3 seconds of full impulse is enough to get clear of the gate. the only problem with it is that half the Fed team will sit there with engines off until the first Klingon decloaks, leaving anyone who moved a couple of kilometers away from the gate to fend for themselves.

Ironically, in the lower tiers the Feds seem to be a lot better about it. I kinda think that most of the players you see at lower levels are just leveling alts, but they are really serious about PvP. At VA you get a lot of PvEers who are just there for the emblems.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-27-2010, 08:55 PM
I dislike the Idea of adding "Turrets" or anything of that nature to Arena Maps.

Cap & Hold maps already HAVE Turrets guarding the Spawning area.

Arena maps could have it so that when you die, your "Disabled" when you return, Invulnerable/Unable to attack anything for say 3 seconds. Giving enough time to recover from a death, retreat from a spawn gate, and slightly discourging spawn camping as well.. Works fairly well in City of Heroes' arena system so far, if I might bring up that one.. And that's only if we truelly NEED something like this.. But I don't see alot of "spawn camping" happening in Arena matches. At least not very often. But I have witnessed a few times where a Klingon group would overpower a Federation group so badly that the Fed group couldn't get away from the spawn gate and would just die one after another. So meh..
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-28-2010, 05:31 AM
Never have trouble trouble with spawn camping in general fights start at 15k away from spawn point and slowly move to the middle of the map, unless federation get wiped out in which case it does not matter as they will die anyway.

Though I do want to see us return to the game with full power.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-28-2010, 04:17 PM
It's no big deal, in my opinion. Once they get around to fixing the goof about spawning in the same point we'll be back to full impulsing around to wherever the engagement is. Power levels will drop again anyway.