Lt. Commander
Does anyone remember RPGs where you had "random encounters" and after awhile you were even afraid to move in case you got sucked into one?

Deep Space Encounters is starting to do this for me, I'm getting fed up of even moving from system to system and even when I try to avoid patrols I still get suddenly dropped into one.

This wouldn't be so bad if I could CHOOSE to join with an instance window like I remember from beta. but it just seems to drop you into the battle immediately with no warning.

Even worse is that the warp-in point for these encounter pretty much 90% of the time tends to have a flagship fleet ready to pounce on the single unsuspecting vessel that just got forced into the instance. And once you're in "battle mode/red alert" you're essentially dead because you can't escape unless you just do your best to fly away from the battle and keep your rear shields up. If you do die, expect to respawn right on top of the overpowering fleet again... yawn.

Stop forcing people who WERE enjoying the PvE content into broken Deep Space encounters, let them CHOOSE to take part in fleet actions and then when I CHOOSE to take part in them once in awhile I might actually be able to find a fleet that's wanting to finish.

PS. Also, choosing an instance tends to be important in finding an ACTIVE deep space encounter, which is another reason why they are broken.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-27-2010, 05:55 AM
I have to admit I'm not happy about that either. I wouldn't mind so much if half the fleet in the area wasn't waiting for me at the warp in spot. So I don't even get a chance to say I want to leave I have to spend time and effort trying to out run all those *******s so I can warp out and get back to what I was trying to do.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-27-2010, 07:21 AM
I don't get this thread at all... mostly because it has never been a concearn for me.

Everytime I get sucked into ANY random encounter, I immidiately get the option to leave if I want to... and I ALWAYS do! Even if ships target me and begin firing, I go to red alert, but the option to leave still lets me go. I just warp out with a bunch of beams and torps chasing me as I dissappear.

As long as your AT the keyboard at the time of the encounter and are paying attention, you should be able to leave without ANY incident. I ONCE flew into a random encounter while I was up getting a cup of coffee... but when I got back, I was blown up. So I hit respawn and as SOON as I respawned I hit 'ops' and then chose to warp out. Done...

So whats the prob bob? Is everyone elses version of the game dramatically different than mine, or what? LOL
Lt. Commander
# 4 Yes But
08-27-2010, 08:52 AM
They are ment to be. Badge grinds always are.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-27-2010, 09:21 AM
I'm talking about throughout the game, I'm still captain (Almost Rear Admiral) and have been playing for under 2 weeks and still find this problem incredibly irritating. My friend has noted I keep smacking my head against the table every time it happens.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Yeah, it's always been annoying, but Cryptic gave players Diplomatic Immunity. So if you find someone with high enough Diplomatic Rank and have it casted on you at DS9, it would save you some headaches in running into a DSE.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-27-2010, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Yeah, it's always been annoying, but Cryptic gave players Diplomatic Immunity. So if you find someone with high enough Diplomatic Rank and have it casted on you at DS9, it would save you some headaches in running into a DSE.
Diplomatic Immunity? Brillient. Now if only I could grind DXP at a decent rate (It takes me half an hour of flying around clusters and declining normal missions before I can get even one Diplomatic Mission).
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deoin
Diplomatic Immunity? Brillient. Now if only I could grind DXP at a decent rate (It takes me half an hour of flying around clusters and declining normal missions before I can get even one Diplomatic Mission).
Yeah, which effectively nullifies it for NORMAL gameplay. AKA for the new toon that's just started flying around.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-27-2010, 04:55 PM
I really just cannot understand how people can have trouble with these.

on my mains or my alts I am leveling I cannot recall the last time I was pulled into a DSE I didn't want to. I look ahead to see where they are and plot my course so I can just skip by them, let them run after me who cares.

really don't afk auto pilot and use 2 brain cells and you be fine.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liandras
I really just cannot understand how people can have trouble with these.

on my mains or my alts I am leveling I cannot recall the last time I was pulled into a DSE I didn't want to. I look ahead to see where they are and plot my course so I can just skip by them, let them run after me who cares.

really don't afk auto pilot and use 2 brain cells and you be fine.
Boo-yah...
/point and nod