Lt. Commander
Some explain me how it can be the person in charge of the station is a commander and her flight control officer is a captain?

I know it is silly and stupidly small, but it makes me look up each time I visit K7
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-28-2010, 10:10 PM
The person in charge of K7 should be an admiral (commodore in the old TOS style of doing things).
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-29-2010, 02:45 AM
I must admit i'd never noticed this before, but now that i know this what a crappy job for a captain to have! He must have stepped on a lot of toes during his rise to captain to end up working drive through and reporting to a commander.

cryptic, tell us the story of why this guy is here!
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-29-2010, 03:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormoran View Post
I must admit i'd never noticed this before, but now that i know this what a crappy job for a captain to have! He must have stepped on a lot of toes during his rise to captain to end up working drive through and reporting to a commander.

cryptic, tell us the story of why this guy is here!
I was thinking along that lines, but even than a demotion would have been in order as well

I noticed it way back, just never got around posting it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-29-2010, 07:37 AM
in naval tradition someone who commands a ship, no matter of actual rank is given the title of captain, and also base leaders are usually commanders of the base
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-29-2010, 12:02 PM
What I find perplexing about K7 is how Commander Wildman is in charge and yet her office is referred to as the "Admiral's Office."
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-30-2010, 03:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ****
in naval tradition someone who commands a ship, no matter of actual rank is given the title of captain, and also base leaders are usually commanders of the base
Yes, but there is also a rule that no one in the command or service structure of the said station/ship can be equal or higher in rank than the captain.

Only time when this can happen is when the captain puts some one in charge in his absence. Even if it is the XO as people can be equal in rank to the XO.

So your argument is flawed in this occasion.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-30-2010, 05:32 AM
Deep Space Nine's commanding officer was Commander Sisko for many years. Even after all the war activity that came to the station he wasn't replaced by anyone of higher rank. He wasn't promoted to Captain until much later. Apparently, Starfleet didn't think a higher rank was entirely necessary to maintain the station. I really don't see the situation at K7 as being any different.

If anything the signage could read, Commander's Office instead. And that Captain should be re-assigned.

Heck, maybe some day it will be news that Wildman earned a field promotion to Captain.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-30-2010, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi'a Meese
Deep Space Nine's commanding officer was Commander Sisko for many years. Even after all the war activity that came to the station he wasn't replaced by anyone of higher rank. He wasn't promoted to Captain until much later. Apparently, Starfleet didn't think a higher rank was entirely necessary to maintain the station. I really don't see the situation at K7 as being any different.

If anything the signage could read, Commander's Office instead. And that Captain should be re-assigned.

Heck, maybe some day it will be news that Wildman earned a field promotion to Captain.
again this is a whole different situation Sisko never had anyone under his direct command on the station that was a commander. So his rank was adequate. As for in the fleets and all it was a show item mostly and a bit of his experience with dominion and later on because admirals placed him in command which is the same as a ship captain placing some one else in command. (In TNg season 1 geordi was put in command while the guy who ran engineering was high er in rank. But he had to take orders from geordi.)
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-30-2010, 07:23 AM
icheb does sod all too... send him to the borg front.