Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
08-30-2010, 01:20 AM
I roll me excelsior with one RSP and thats all you should need for the intial tag team that occurs with more than one target. I swapped the other for EPW, as a Tac I have more use for that then RSP.

Right though, if you have to stack 2 of em, maybe you should consider another ability that also will grant the same breathing room, but will make you work for it.

I have geared both my assault cruiser and excelsior to be primary assault roles rather than any kind of team healing. With the right consoles, it has improved my survivability as a tac officer.

I guess the more different abilites I try, the more i can move away from RSP and not needing to rely on it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
08-30-2010, 01:22 AM
Ah. You're tactical. I'm an engineer. I got Rotate Shield Freuqency and Miracle Worker and that crazy high level group buff all for free simply for being me.

So there's again, a lot more breathing room built into my performance simply because engi captain powers tend to all be plain vanilla defense stuff.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
08-30-2010, 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castogere View Post
I roll me excelsior with one RSP and thats all you should need for the intial tag team that occurs with more than one target. I swapped the other for EPW, as a Tac I have more use for that then RSP.

Right though, if you have to stack 2 of em, maybe you should consider another ability that also will grant the same breathing room, but will make you work for it.

I have geared both my assault cruiser and excelsior to be primary assault roles rather than any kind of team healing. With the right consoles, it has improved my survivability as a tac officer.

I guess the more different abilites I try, the more i can move away from RSP and not needing to rely on it.
Precisely this.. Normally I dont have to use RSP more than 1-2 times in a match in my cruisers.. Most of the time I exit the match with 0 deaths and rarely more than 1..

Losing one RSP means you can roll a EP2S 2+3 combo instead of 1+3..
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
08-30-2010, 01:33 AM
So what you running in the ensign slot? Engineering Team 1? Emergency Power to Global Cooldown? That's the entirety of the choices at ensign isn't it?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
08-30-2010, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
So what you running in the ensign slot? Engineering Team 1? Emergency Power to Global Cooldown? That's the entirety of the choices at ensign isn't it?
Not at home right now, mind you.. I havent made the change yet (still have 2 RSPs, just dont use the second)

It doesnt matter though.. better to waste a Engineer Ensign slot (Assuming I cant find anything to place there), than a Ensign Lt :p

Currently its something like this (if memory serves me right)

ET1 - RSP - ET3 - Extend3
EP2S1 - RSP - EP2S3

Changed to

ET1 - RSP - ET3 - Extend3
??? - EP2S2 - EP2S3

The natural survivability of the second loadout is much higher (Yes, I know I need A2SIF - Have flown my Escorts far to much lately - L2 of that is a LtC I believe? In that case Ill prolly go dual ET1s and replace the ET3 with SIF, atleast until I can find an affordable SIF3
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
08-30-2010, 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
So what you running in the ensign slot? Engineering Team 1? Emergency Power to Global Cooldown? That's the entirety of the choices at ensign isn't it?
I use eng team I, any self heals I can squeeze the better. Again Im built to heal myself, not others. yet my Dmg has increased considerably by doing this. Its a trade, more take down power vs team support.

I figured, if I can supplement an escorts intial run on a target....the escort shouldn't need a follow up volley with the amount of pain i bring behind him. And if he needs basic hull heals, I can deliver to keep him in the fight, just not long enough to go the distance.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
08-30-2010, 01:51 AM
Castogere said "So, does anyone use an Excelsior in pvp and NOT use at least 2 RSPs on it?"
Well I armour tank so I never use 2 RSP. I admit I have 1 RSP as I am unsure what else to use in that slot. I rarely use RSP it's a last ditch emergency skill if all my other tanking skills fail to keep up.

RSP is not needed for Elite or PvE I never used even 1 RSP in Elite.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
08-30-2010, 01:57 AM
-proudly raises hand- i do not use rsp on any ship i pilot with any character i use.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
08-30-2010, 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsey
Castogere said "So, does anyone use an Excelsior in pvp and NOT use at least 2 RSPs on it?"
Well I armour tank so I never use 2 RSP. I admit I have 1 RSP as I am unsure what else to use in that slot. I rarely use RSP it's a last ditch emergency skill if all my other tanking skills fail to keep up.

RSP is not needed for Elite or PvE I never used even 1 RSP in Elite.
LOL Im not the OP, however the only reason I have RSP is because it came with the Purp BO and its RSP III. Other than that, I never made an effort to train any of the other BO's in it as that is all I should need. with transfer shield power, and Emerg power to shields x2......I seldom need RSP.

I as well have the armor stacked, works nicely.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
08-30-2010, 02:03 AM
I don't think 2x RSP is even that good in PVE, except against the Borg. The global cooldown means you have an enormous defence gap.

Say you have 5 defense/healing skills total. with 1 RSP you have 4 for the first 30s, then your defences are down for a bit, you fill the gap with RSP and when it wears off you cycle your first skills again. So you get a 4-rsp-4 pattern. With 2 RSP you only have 3 for the first 30s which may not be enough. Then you hit your RSP (earlier than you would if you had 4 skills) and then you're back to just 3 until your global cooldown cycles and you can hit RSP again.

The borg exception of course is that your shields only last as long as your hazard emitters do, barring RSP.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:42 AM.