Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
Hey STO Players and Community!

It is a pleasure to announce an amazing new podcast for the STO Community: Priority One. Tune in and beam up to STO’s premier, weekly podcast and join hosts Brandon (originally from the “Neutral Zone” podcast) and Mark as they interview Cryptic developers (4 in the month of September, including Mr. Stahl!), share the latest news, talk about your ideas and discuss your emails.

Priority One is exclusively hosted by The Quantum Cafe , STO’s premier, social networking site, similar to “Facebook”! Here you can sign up, interact with and “friend” fellow STO players and fleet members! More info at www.thequantumcafe.com

Priority One’s first episode will premiere on Friday, September 3rd BUT we need your help and are giving away 10,000 C-store points for it! This week we will be interviewing Sormshade – our favorite forumite and Cryptic Community staff member! This month we will also feature interviews of reps from Quality Assurance, Development and Mr. Dan Stahl! So… want to win 10K C-store points? Here is how you could get two entries:

1) Respond to this thread with four (4) questions you would ask a Cryptic employee (one (1) for each of the following divisions of Cryptic: Community-Stormshade, Quality Assurance, Game Development, and Dstahl

and for a second chance/ entry:

2) Register for a free account at www.thequantumcafe.com and make one (1) post in the “Noobs” Sub-forum

Entering in the contest means that you agree to allow Priority One to use your forum name, if your question is chosen, and these Official Rules: Priority One STO Podcast Premiere Episode Promotion Official Rules

Don’t forget to tune into www.thequantumcafe.com/priorityone on Friday for the first show! We will also be on iTunes when Apple approves the show!

Good luck on winning the contest and we’ll see you in subspace!
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-30-2010, 12:18 AM
Question 1: (Stormshade) At times you may feel like Bill Clinton confessing to the American public when you approach the forums. Like Camelot was once stated as in Monty python, these forums are "A Silly Place." How do you go about determining what is worth putting forward from forums to the dev team, and what is not? Is the process you undergo to provide feedback to the players much the same?

Question 2: (Q&A) How extensive is the Q&A team? Compared to many new titles I find the amount of bugs that pass the Q&A team much higher in rate than other companies, and for far less material. Is this a matter of limited man-power in relation?

Question 3: (GameDev) What does the dev team wish to see in STO? Forget the forum player base and our wish-lists, what is something the devs wish to see in the game?

Question 4: (Dstahl) Effort vs Reward. What update, or inclusion to the game, from beginning development to current, does the dev team feel has given them the greatest reward in personal satisfaction for their task on the said piece? On that note, what is the part of the game which the dev team may personally feel the least personal satisfaction with?
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-30-2010, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius39
Question 1: (Stormshade) On a matter of security, how will the handling of 10000 cyptic points be safely implemented for the community? is it an agreement with the dev team that will award the points internally to an account, or do we have to surrender account details to the Pod Cast?
I can answer this one. LOL. You will not have to give us any account information; the winner will receive details on how they will get it. Cryptic is not involved in the transfer (although PR is aware of us giving them away), but again, you will not give out or surrender any account info
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-30-2010, 12:31 AM
So do I get a free bonus question?
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-30-2010, 12:33 AM
Quote:
So do I get a free bonus question?
why don't you go up and edit it
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-30-2010, 12:37 AM
Done, but, always polite to ask.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-30-2010, 12:40 AM
Quote:
Done, but, always polite to ask.
Absolutely! Good luck!
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-30-2010, 01:04 AM
Question 1: (Stormshade) We all know that our mind is selective of what it wants to see/read and will ignore and black out negativity by instinct. Do you have to consciously try to read and understand all the negative posts or do your allow yourself to give more attention to the positive side of the forums over the bad? (this isn't a question with a point. I'm just wondering about your mindset).

Question 2: (Q&A) Have you ever been pressured or do you sometimes feel pressured by your bosses or by deadlines to push something through even though you know that it isn't ready yet?

Question 3: (GameDev) What in your honest opinion is harder to create PvE or PvP Content? I ask because In my head PvP is much easier. You create an static, open-world, non-instanced environment, maybe give us a few claimable Starbases, and let the community create their own battles. Yet this is something we still haven't seen in game despite quite a few requests from the PvP community.

Question 4: (Dstahl) Do you ever see a day when you'll design and introduce content that doesn't just have one ending? Maybe one of the weekly missions you can finish it by helping one side or by helping the other side and whatever side wins has a lasting effect on the mission chain. Also allowing us the option to fail the mission by choosing the wrong option. And I don't mean fail as in "Oh no, I'll do it again" but fail as in limping back to Star Fleet with your tail between your legs and been able to correct (or attempt to correct) your mistakes on the next step of the mission.

That to me defines the Star Trek experience and something, despite many forum threads, we just don't seem to see.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-30-2010, 01:45 AM
Community-Stormshade:

With all the use of facebook and twitter information gets scattered around the web and not centralised where it should be, namely here on forums or the website. Are there any plans to improve on this, but for example linking the twitter bits to a part of the site, so when an update is made on there it can be found on the site as well. This would surely benefit those of us who do not use social networking sites and/or twitter.

QA:

In the dev chat of 9 Aug to my pleasant surprise you answered my general question about RP interest and I am thankful for this, but I would like to know one more thing. What will be the player limit on the UGC, as I plan personally to use this to enhance role playing, but if it is only 5 man we do not get a lot more than we already have.

Game Development:

A bit of a personal question, but how big is the job of creating the story lines for missions and even the game? As an pen and paper rpg writer this has always interested me.

Dstahl:

You are an active person on these forums and thank you for that, but I am curious what is the drive behind it? I have seen many devs on forums in many games, but most disappeared shortly after beta times. Now communities can be rough and here in STO surely so, but you are still around so why is that?

*Note Citizen of The Netherlands so by your contest rule I cannot participate for the price drawing.*
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-30-2010, 01:50 AM
(1) Stormshade . . . a lot of MMORGs I've played have a subforum dedicated to player suggestions. ST:O doesn't have this. Do you have any tips on making suggestions on the forums? Which subforum is the best place to post them in? Should suggestions be presented with as much "fine detail" worked out before hand, or would short and general be better?

(2) QA . . . before the final push of Season 1 and Season 2 an incentive was given to players to log onto the Tribble test server in the form of tribble gifts. Do you feel this is a good practice or rather a neccessary evil that you wish you didn't have to do?

(3) Development Team . . . if you had to describe your experience working on ST:O, which of the following two statements would you say is more accurate? (1) you are designers of a MMORG that happens to be set in the Star Trek universe or (2) you are designers of a Star Trek game that happens to be a MMORG?

(4) Dstahl . . . on the few occasions where the forums have erupted over some issue or another, to the point where you feel inclined to pop in and share some info with the players, I've gotten the impression from you that your job has an element of tug and war to it with other figures in the company. Is my tin foil hat just on too tight, or are there times where you've needed to lace up the gloves and step in the ring over a design decision you felt passionately about?