Lt. Commander
# 21
08-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGoblin256 View Post
I personally think the Tholians should be the baddies in the next set of weekly episodes after the Breen.
From your mouth to the developers' ears! As I've said so often around these parts, the Tholians remain perhaps my all-time favorite Star Trek race, in large part because of the mysteries that still surround them. I would love, love, to see the Tholians in Star Trek Online.

First ice, then fire: after the Breen, bring on the Tholians!
Lt. Commander
# 22
08-30-2010, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaNine
Tholians are the opposite of the Breen. They live in temperatures that can melt lead.

See http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Tholian
Curiously enough though, they seem to be on good terms with eachother politically, according to some of the novels.

Opposites attract, no?
Lt. Commander
# 23
08-30-2010, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGoblin256 View Post
Curiously enough though, they seem to be on good terms with eachother politically, according to some of the novels.

Opposites attract, no?
There's a school of thought in real world political studies that says... you're LESS likely to go to war with people who are completely alien to you. Not more likely. Less. See, if the other group of folks is totally alien, they're not gonna marry your sisters and daughters. They're not gonna mix with your people socially. They're not a threat to your way of life.

And as far as the big picture goes, the Breen and Tholians do have something in common. They're both belligerent and aggressive towards the Federation (and other Alpha Quadrant races). They have an enemy in common...

God, I wanna see a Breen-Tholian alliance in STO now. That would be awesome. Then we can tell George R.R. Martin fans we're actually A Song of Ice and Fire Online. Or something.
Lt. Commander
# 24
08-30-2010, 06:47 PM
Tholians would be a good NPC addition, I concur.
Lt. Commander
# 25
08-30-2010, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acylion
And as far as the big picture goes, the Breen and Tholians do have something in common. They're both belligerent and aggressive towards the Federation (and other Alpha Quadrant races). They have an enemy in common...
You're proposing an alliance? Some sort of, say, pact?

This, of course, is a grand idea, and one to be realized in the upcoming Typhon Pact mini-series in the Star Trek novel range. The Typhon Pact is an anti-Federation alliance consisting of the Romulan Star Empire, Tzenkethi Coalition, Breen Confederacy, Gorn Hegemony, Tholian Assembly, and the Holy Order of the Kinshaya.

Of course, by the time of Star Trek Online, the political landscape of the Alpha and Beta Quardrants will have shifted a little...
Lt. Commander
# 26
08-31-2010, 02:15 AM
Looks like you guys would really like to see Tholians in the game, any devs seen this able to say if you might ever turn this into reality?
Lt. Commander
# 27
08-31-2010, 02:18 AM
The most interesting fact is that Tholians produce large amounts of chocolate mouse. :p
Lt. Commander
# 28
08-31-2010, 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonium View Post
Tzenkethi Coalition
i do hope to see these guys at some point, whilst never been shown on screen the producers did say they imagined them to be big lizards. think gorn only nastier
Lt. Commander
# 29
08-31-2010, 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim3822 View Post
Looks like you guys would really like to see Tholians in the game, any devs seen this able to say if you might ever turn this into reality?
Tholians are on the short list but are a ways out as the only thing we have for them right now are concept sketchse. Plus they walk on multiple spidery legs which means adding a new animation rig to the game that currently doesn't exist just yet.

There are also a lot of existing enemies that a lot of time went into but are seen very briefly during the game. We'd like to get them some more screen time in future epsidoes - this would include the Fek'ihri as well.
Lt. Commander
# 30
08-31-2010, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Tholians are on the short list but are a ways out as the only thing we have for them right now are concept sketchse. Plus they walk on 4 spidery legs which means adding a new animation rig to the game that currently doesn't exist just yet.
Oh, you will certainly not regret adding that for Never Winter Nights, too. D&D has a lot of bizarre creatures... Kruthiks seem to fit that "4-legged spider" model, too, and they seem to be new in D&D 4...
Closed Thread