Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
. . . and both are in regard to new ship introductions.

(1) Restricted purchasing options
Each C-Store item is offered as either an "Account Wide" or "One Character Only" purchase. The "Account Wide" option is more prevalent than the "One Character Only" option on the C-Store, and this is, undeniably, more beneficial to the customer.

In the case of ships, however, being exclusively "Account Wide" is unfair to the customer. On the surface that decision looks like nothing more than marketing smoke and mirrors. Even though it is not the only way, as I will soon argue, for Cryptic to earn decent revenue off of new ship offerings.

If the marketing department has determined that the only way they can maximize revenue off of exclusively C-Store ships is to only offer the "Account Wide" option at a rather significant price . . . "hey, it's for ALL your characters, so we need to charge ya alot, k" . . . then I don't think they are considering the potential revenue boost from a cheaper "One Character Only" option.

I can easily imagine a customer who decides, "I will only ever use that new ship on this one specific charatcer, so I wll purchase the 'One Character Only' option" . . . and then sometime later decides he has another character that he wants the ship for, and then maybe even again on a third character. If the "One Character Only" option were offered for half the price of the "Account Wide" option, then Cryptic will have made one and half times the revenue of a single "Account Wide" purchase. ( 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 ) = 1.5 . . . This customer, remembering the mistake he made the first time, might later use the "Account Wide" option on a different, newly introduced ship. Most improtantly, by giving that customer both options, he takes responsibility for his own purchasing decisions . . . as opposed to being forced into one specific purchase method and possibly resenting Cryptic because of that.

Betting on multiple sales of a lower priced option is a gamble, yes . . . but it's always best to gamble on the option that gives the customer the feeling they are getting the most bang for their buck. The "Account Wide" option at an inflated price, as the ONLY option, may be crippling the revenue potential of these new ships becuase the benefit (account wide access) may not be perceived as comparable to the added cost . . . and, additonally, could be detrimental to the overall opinion of the ST:O product by customers who feel jilted by the perceived "overcharged" price and lack of purchasing options.

So, in summary, not having multiple purchase options for C-Store ships might not only depress potential revenues gained, but also harm a customer's overall opinion of the game.

(2) Untestable on Tribble
I'm just going to cut right to to the chase on this one and not try to candy coat my opinion in niceties. I can't help but feel the only reason the T5 Excelsior was not allowed to be freely accessed on the Tribble test server was (at least partly) out of concern for lost revenue from customers who might take the time out needed to balance test the new ship and secondarily come to the decision that the ship is not worth the price asked.

The C-Store causes a disruption in the standard procedure of testing out new content before applying it to the Live server by removing the most important step in testing . . . ACTUALLY OFFERING ACCESS TO THE THINGS THAT NEED TO BE TESTED.

The Test Server shouldn't be used by the customers to judge a ship's price tag, but to judge it's game balance. So we either have a situation where the ship won't be tested at all, or if it is tested, it will be tested to judge the wrong factors. Unless you consider the price tag of the ship to be a valid factor for testing, in which case not even that is being addressed by not having it tested on Tribble.

Maybe we should have the option to test C-Store ships to give input such as "No, that is not worth 1200 CP" or "Yes, that's a good ship for it's price". I don't like ships being offered on the C-Store in the limited manner in which they curerntly are. If it's a practice that is going to continue, then let's at least work out some more equitable standards of pricing and acquisition . . . as well as some testing criteria that might lead to a better game.

Thank You.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-30-2010, 03:58 PM
I agree with the OP.

Even the guy who pays 0.5 to try it out on one character, and likes it, and buys the account wide at 1.0 price...

... cryptic is still looking at 1.5 revenue.

I was also unaware that cryptic didn't test excelsior (didn't even really think about it)

I understand where Cryptic is coming from regarding losing sales (disagree, understand)

things definatly need to be tribble tested. Far better lose sales, than to **** of paying customers by altering their product after the sale.

PERHAPS... this could be an LTS bonus. Give the privlege of test driving C-Store ships before they hit the live servers.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-30-2010, 04:14 PM
or maybe even have a "Test Pilot License" that you have to have to test out the ships..

.. available at the C-Store for 1200pts

lol
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Quote:
The only reason the T5 Excelsior was not allowed to be freely accessed on the Tribble test server wass out of concern for lost revenue from customers who might take the time out needed to test the new ship and possibly come to the decision that the ship is not worth the price asked.
Um, no? They would have had to hook it up as an ingame ship then remove it on live, as opposed to just hooking it up in the cstore as planned. Which is an expenditure of money and effort for no reason. Tribble is not for you to test ships.

If you want to test the excelsior, try the t3 version. ;p
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-30-2010, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyShoe
Um, no? They would have had to hook it up as an ingame ship then remove it on live, as opposed to just hooking it up in the cstore as planned. Which is an expenditure of money and effort for no reason. Tribble is not for you to test ships.

If you want to test the excelsior, try the t3 version. ;p
Thanks for the reply . . . it convinced me to go back and do a little edit in the Test Server portion of my post to clarify what I meant.

If by "Tribble is not for you to test ships" you meant the purpose is NOT to test ship balance then I disagree LOL.

But, I think you meant that "Tribble is not for you to test ships" in the sense that Tribble shouldn't be a place where we just test drive a new ship to determine if we will end up purchasing it. Which is just proof of my assertion that introducing new ships via the C-Store has a detrimental affect on the game. The C-Store causes a disruption in the standard procedure of testing out new content before applying it to the Live server by removing the most important step in testing . . . ACTUALLY OFFERING ACCESS TO THE THINGS THAT NEED TO BE TESTED.

The Test Server shouldn't be used by the customers to judge a ship's price tag, but to judge it's game balance. So we either have a situation where the ship won't be tested at all, or if it is tested, it will be tested to judge the wrong factors. Unless you consider the price tag of the ship to be a valid factor for testing, in which case not even that is being addressed by not having it tested on Tribble.

Maybe we should have the option to test C-Store ships to give input such as "No, that is not worth 1200 CP" or "Yes, that's a good ship for it's price". I don't like ships being offered on the C-Store in the limited manner in which they curerntly are. If it's a practice that is going to continue, then let's at least work out some more equitable standards of pricing and acquisition . . . as well as some testing criteria that might lead to a better game.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyShoe
Excuse me? Tribble is not for me to test ships?

Tribble (and Champions' PTS) is absolutely for people to test whatever they want to test. The more people who volunteer their time and their effort to play there -- even if they do so out of self-interest -- the more bugs will be found.

I test things that I'm curious about. As a result, I probably spend more time on the various test servers for MMOs than I do on live servers. I like figuring out game mechanics. I like mucking around with different builds. In the course of doing those things, I often find bugs and I do report them. But I'm not running a one-man charity operation here. I pay Cryptic, not the other way around.

Though it may be true that providing an in-game method for people to test the Excelsior just on Tribble would have taken too much developer time, your view on this matter is exactly backwards. It is more important to offer players a chance to test pay-for-play content than free content, because pay-for-play content has a higher standard for polish when it's released.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~GM Tiyshen
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-31-2010, 11:27 AM
I don't know about suckering people into buying something three times and then effectively paying more. I should hope things at Cryptic aren't quite that desperate yet.

But I do think it'd be a good idea to say half the price of the ships for a single-account version. Then, once you've bought one, the 600 C-points single-account option disables, replaced by a 600 C-point account-wide option. IE, if you buy a second one, it automatically becomes accountwide. Now maybe some will never buy the account wide option, but I do think that the number of people that will buy the ships at 600 who wouldn't at 1200 might offset that.

It definately goes for me. I have so far only the one Vice Admiral (one rear admiral and a captain on the way up) and have bought almost everything in the C-store, except the ships. Cause once you leap from nothing more expensive than 400 to triple that number, one's math reflex kicks in.

There's a reason stores put cheap items at the checkout counter.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-31-2010, 12:20 PM
What would i want with more than one Excelsior ? Iīd like to get a cheaper unlock for just one character, but that wouldnīt benefit Cryptic. I guess most people donīt want to fly the same ship on more than one toon.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-31-2010, 12:31 PM
Funny, I say account based everything and simply a cheaper price. Nothing should be more than half the price of a monthly sub as far as I'm concerned.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-31-2010, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Spartan View Post
Funny, I say account based everything and simply a cheaper price. Nothing should be more than half the price of a monthly sub as far as I'm concerned.
The people deciding on the c-store pricing seem to think that having a special ship is more fun than playing for a month, odd.