Lt. Commander
Every time a new ship is added, it always generates a lot of controversy with its bridge officer set up. When the first wave of Refits came, there was a huge uproar about them have 2 commander slots, this lead to them being changed to fit the standard layout for a Tier 5 ship (1 Cm, 1 LC, 2 Lt., 1 En). When the Excelsior Refit was announced with its unique set up, more complaining took place and it was brought back to the standard set up.

I tried posting this in the General Discussion Forum (http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=178236), but it got washed to page 8 with only 20 views, so I thought i would post it here to see what people think

WARNING. Long Post

My suggestion for when you add a new Tier 5 ship is instead of changing the Bridge Officer Layout to something different; just use a different combination of the standard layout. Since if you don’t, people will complain and you’ll end up using the standard anyway.

There are 10 combinations already in the game and there are still 17* more combinations to use:
Main.........Second............................... .......,,....Third
Ship Type.............................................. .............................In Game
Cmd Slot...LtC slot......Lt slot.......Lt Slot...........Ensign
Engineer....Engineer....Science.....Tactical...... Engineer....Galaxy Refit
Engineer....Engineer....Science.....Tactical...... Science.....Emissary
Engineer....Engineer....Science.....Tactical...... Tactical.....Sovereign
Engineer....Science.....Engineer....Tactical...... Engineer....
Engineer....Science.....Engineer....Tactical...... Tactical.....
Engineer....Science.....Engineer....Tactical...... Science.....
Engineer....Tactical.....Engineer....Science...... Engineer....Excelsior Refit
Engineer....Tactical.....Engineer....Science...... Science.....
Engineer....Tactical.....Engineer....Science...... Tactical.....
Science.....Engineer....Science.....Tactical...... Engineer....
Science.....Engineer....Science.....Tactical...... Science.....
Science.....Engineer....Science.....Tactical...... Tactical.....
Science.....Science.....Engineer....Tactical...... Engineer....Destiny
Science.....Science.....Engineer....Tactical...... Tactical.....Luna
Science.....Science.....Engineer....Tactical...... Science.....Intrepid
Science.....Tactical.....Engineer....Science...... Engineer....
Science.....Tactical.....Engineer....Science...... Science.....
Science.....Tactical.....Engineer....Science...... Tactical.....
Tactical.....Engineer....Science.....Tactical..... .Engineer....
Tactical.....Engineer....Science.....Tactical..... .Science.....
Tactical.....Engineer....Science.....Tactical..... .Tactical.....
Tactical.....Science.....Engineer....Tactical..... .Engineer....
Tactical.....Science.....Engineer....Tactical..... .Tactical.....
Tactical.....Science.....Engineer....Tactical..... .Science.....
Tactical.....Tactical.....Engineer....Science..... .Engineer....Dervish
Tactical.....Tactical.....Engineer....Science..... .Science.....Prometheus
Tactical.....Tactical.....Engineer....Science..... .Tactical.....Defiant Refit
* There are more, however the combination they used on the Excelsior Refit suggest they base the 2 Lt slots off the second focus and keeping 1 of each class between the LC and 2 Lt slots.
* Does not include if they decide to not match the Cm slot with the class of ship.
* Does not include the inclusion of Universal slots.

The Only Ship I don’t think should use this is the Nebula; because of its muti-purpose role it will probably have universal slots. (See end of post on my thoughts for the Nebula)

So now, when you decide to put a new T5 ship in the game. First think of its main focus. This will give you the class of ship and the Cm slot. Then come up with its secondary focus. This will give you the LC slot as well as determine the Lt slots. Finally come up with its third focus and this will give you its En slot.

Also with knowing the available combinations Cryptic can change existing ship layout when they add new ones if need be. I still think there should always be the basic ones the game started with.
One example is the Excelsior, which has a layout that was more tactical focused than the Assault Cruiser. To a lot of people, including myself, this does not make since. Solution: change the layout of the Excelsior and Sovereign. You would still have the basic layout of Cmd Eng, LtC Eng, Lt. Sci, Lt. Tact. En Tact. Only it would be switched to the Excelsior.
Or say, they add another tactical science vessel, but they don’t think it is more tactical than the Luna. Solution: give the new ship the Luna’s layout, and give the Luna a new more tactical layout.

As for the abilities they give to the new ships, i feel that they should stick with removing consels before removing Bridge Officers for compensation. As the lack of an abilities to use would have more of an impact than a console stat boost.

Nebula
My suggestion for the Nebula is Engineering Cmd (they said it was a cruiser), LtC Science (considered a science vessel by most), Lt Tactical (only one missing), Lt “Universal” (multi-purpose), No Ensign.
My idea for the “Universal” slots is that they are based on whatever pod you equip to your ship in the ship customization screen (aka can only switch out at a starbase and cost credits.) This way the Klingons still are the only ones with true universal slots, and the federation gets the flexibility of a universal slot, but gives up an ensign slot and has to go back to the starbase and pay to change their “Universal” slot, as well as others being able to tell what you have based on your looks.
*EDIT: CaptainGeko has posted about the Nebula Layout : http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho....php?p=2989013

Thanks for reading. Please comment and discuss.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-02-2010, 03:59 AM
yep id much rather every ship on both factions have universal BO slots but for that to happen
they would need to increase the hull shields to kling ships to match those of the fed counter parts.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-02-2010, 07:57 AM
This post reminds me that STO space combat is far too power-spam heavy.

Particularly, hull heals almost completely replace hull strength itself. This is ridiculous.

Bah, game needs to be more Star Trek, and less Superpowers in Space.

Anyways, good list for available combinations in the current state of the game.