Lt. Commander
# 1 Alternate T5 Excelsior Engines
09-01-2010, 05:47 AM
I'm really having a blast with the new Excelsior. The model is top notch and the setup is an interesting and fun change. I would, however request an alternate pair of outboard impulse engines. The aft faces of the current pair are vertical, whereas I see most reference material as well as the shooting model having them about 20 degrees from that, the top rear edge ahead of the bottom rear edge. The pair in place now looks great, but I'd love the option.

Again, GREAT to have the Excelsior in the game. This place is actually being to look like Star Fleet!

And while we're here... the torpedo emitters are in the wrong place and... view ports on the nacelles???

;-)
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-01-2010, 08:37 AM
Actually the torpedo launchers are right where they are supposed to be.
And according to the MSD diagrams the excelsior actually had four torpedo launchers up front.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Never trust MSDs that conflict with what's shown on screen, let alone other MSDs.

;-)
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-01-2010, 07:02 PM
In this case closeups on screen confirm what the MSD's say. :p
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by _ShadowHawk View Post
I'm really having a blast with the new Excelsior. The model is top notch and the setup is an interesting and fun change. I would, however request an alternate pair of outboard impulse engines. The aft faces of the current pair are vertical, whereas I see most reference material as well as the shooting model having them about 20 degrees from that, the top rear edge ahead of the bottom rear edge. The pair in place now looks great, but I'd love the option.
Um...
Shots of the NX-2000 shooting minature and shots of the Lakota at the Christie auction disagree with you - both the sides of the impulse engines and the ends are square - no angles tot hem at all. Reference:

Excelsior Gallery at Ex Astris Scientica

Quote:
Again, GREAT to have the Excelsior in the game. This place is actually being to look like Star Fleet!

And while we're here... the torpedo emitters are in the wrong place and... view ports on the nacelles???

;-)
Shouldn't be any view ports onthe nacelles OR on the warp pylons - don't have a Excelsior yet so can't confirm - if they are there, that's a definite texture error. Don't see any discrete torp tubes onthe actual Excelsior model (not uncommon in Trel) - so can't say anyuthing there either. Quite frankly, I'm really not in love with the Excelsior as-is - it was designed almost completely over at ILM, and the final ship shows elements of at least three of the prototypes - including that art-deco-ish look to it's paintjob.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-02-2010, 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callasan View Post
Um...
Shots of the NX-2000 shooting minature and shots of the Lakota at the Christie auction disagree with you - both the sides of the impulse engines and the ends are square - no angles tot hem at all. Reference:

Excelsior Gallery at Ex Astris Scientica
The NX-2000 doesn't have the gray rimmed outboard impulse engines of the Enterprise-B/Lakota that I was referring to. From the page you linked to:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/sc...sties-side.jpg
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/sc...1701b-mike.jpg

As to the torpedo tubes, the only time I'm aware of them being fired on screen was when Sulu opened up on the cloaked Bird of Prey in Undiscovered Country, and they came from points abeam of the top edge of the deflector dish. If I went by diagrams over action on-screen (regarding an earlier reference to MSDs) then one could argue that the original Constitution class Enterprise had its torpedo tubes on the dorsal superstructure below the bridge per several Franz Joseph/Roddenberry-approved diagrams.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-02-2010, 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
In this case closeups on screen confirm what the MSD's say. :p
My DVDs disagree.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-02-2010, 04:53 AM
The Tier5 Excelsior is the Lakota Refit, not the NX-2000 version...

Just thought it was worth mentioning.
Lt. Commander
# 9 Two version
09-02-2010, 05:05 AM
There two versions of this ship. The Enterprise-B was the first ship using the refit hull. Scoty supervised the the refit. I do believe he makes a comment he made some special modification to the ship but it has been a long time since I have seen the move so could be wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-02-2010, 05:32 AM
The issue I have witht he model is the place where cannons fire. It looks more like everything comes from the same point of origin. That might be something that needs fixing. [/tangent]