Lt. Commander
The disclaimer: This is just an idea. I dont actually expect the devs to implement it, nor do I believe that my way is the only way to do it. This is just a personal exercise by me. I was bored and had the time to actually write it down. If you dont like it, fine. Your idea wont be used either.

Coming from other MMOGs, I find the crafting in STO a bit simplistic. I know it was a bit tact on, but overall there is no real worth to it at the end game but there should be. It is content and content should be encouraged to be used. I also don't like the fact that all captains have access to every possible design. That there is little need to go looking for another player in the crafting perspective. I would like there to me more of a crafting economy, and interaction between players.

First of, General Research is a good way to get people interested in crafting but once you reach 500 General Research you would have to choose between some professions. My feeling on the current crafting system is to keep it as a General Scientist Profession, but it would not come with the goodies that the new professions have. Thus while allowing you to have access to all type of items it would not have the bonuses or unique items that the new professions have. Could be phase out completely over time

Anomalies will still exist like they always do, and the research found from anomalies would still be required to for all crafting professions in order to create items.

Let's get to the meat of it.

My current idea has 7 professions. 3 gathering, 3 crafting, and 1 that is both. A Captain would be able to pick 2 of these.

3 Gathering Professions: Salvager, Space Miner, Reverse Engineer.

3 Crafting Professions: Weapons Developer, Ship Architect, Astro Systems Designer.

1 Gather/Crafter Profession: Personal Equipment Tech.

The layout of professions would be as such:

Gathering:

Salvager - Any ship destroyed by a salvager or his team where he has loot rights would be open to be salvaged. Salvage would be in a raw form, and would need to be processed at some kind of station interactive device. The use of this station would grant the salvager points so that he can salvage higher level mobs. The processed equipment that he gets is then mainly used by the Weapons Developer. Salvager has different ranks associated with it, and comes with a bonus, something like 2% weapon damage for each rank achieved.

Space Miner - Anomalies would drop additional resources that would need to be refined at space station. This refinement would give a Space Miner points to allow him to refine higher levels of these resources. The refined resources would be mainly used to craft Ship Architect items. Space Miner would also have different ranks, and a bonus of 2% armor per rank would be give for each rank.

Reverse Engineer - A reverse Engineer would take uncommon quality items and disassemble them into parts. Again a space station device would have to be used, and he would get points and gain rank in order to disassemble higher level items. These parts would be mainly used by the Astro Systems Designer, and just like the other two profession as a player gains rank as an Reverse Engineer, he would gain a 2% shield strength bonus per rank.

Crafting:

Weapons Developer - Weapons Developer will only be able to craft starship weapons.

Ship Architect - Ship Architect will be able to craft Engines, Engineering Consoles and Weapon Consoles.

Astro Systems Designer - Would be able to craft Shields, Deflector Dishes, and Science Consoles.

Personal Equipment Tech would get his crafting material by killing ground targets, no processing necessary. He would craft only Ground Equipment.

Interaction between professions:

Each Profession would have a commodity that is required for some better equipment recipes of other profession.

Unique Crafting Items and Rewards:

Every crafting profession will get Unique and Exclusive Equipment. Items that are Very Rare in quality, but are also bound to the person crafting it and require that the person keep the profession in order for them to use or equip the items.

These Unique items should be modeled like the special named blue rewards you get currently from some missions, like for example the Efficient Impulse Engine Mk IV.

Special Consumable that can always be sold to other players should also be considers. Ship Batteries that Boost 2 stats at once. Long term buff consumable. IE 2% damage bonus for 10 minutes. Consumable devices that mimic BOff abilities.

Special titles and accolades should be also be associated with professions. These titles would not be lost is if the player changes professions. Another idea is to give access to cosmetic items that you can keep if you switch professions. Thus giving reward to players who are completionist and level every crafting profession. Some of these things could be special uniform enhancements ie allow a captain to wear aviator sunglasses or let them own a special android tribble.

Crafting Experimentation

The other idea I have to keep crafting fresh and used at the max level is to have something called crafting experimentation. Experimentation would be design recipes where the stats that are generated on the items are random and there is also a chance that the item is higher quality then normal.

Example: You have a Disruptor Heavy Cannon Experimentation Recipe. The usual outcome of fabrication is that you receive an uncommon type of weapon with one random stat that the item can hold. 10% of the time though you will get a Rare Quality item, and 1% of the time you will get a Very Rare quality item. The item cost of experimentation would be lower then normal, but the outcome of the item would be random. The Experimentation Recipes could be further randomized by also including the weapon damage type into the mix, or even the weapon type itself or a mixture, ie Phaser Beam Experimentation Recipe would give either Dual Bank or Arrays while a Cannon Experimentation recipe would give one of the 4 types of cannons with a random weapon damage type.

Crafting Materials

As listed before, Anomalies would still be used as normal in crafting.

In order to make the Very Rare quality equipment and other specialized equipment,crafting Materials should be added to the mark/emblem vendor so that daily mission running is also incorporated into crafting.

Even other crafting materials could come via handing in Exploration Badges.

-------------------------------------
Okay that is basically it.

Overall, I m still not quite sure if Ground Equipment should be an all encompassing profession, but I do know how much of a draw professions like Weapons Developer is from other games. In STO, ship improvements are currently a higher draw. I also though didnt want to have the same system carried over from ship crafting to ground crafting. Meaning a weapon dev could craft Ships weapons and ground weapons. I think too many people would pick weapon development then.

The big personal question I have right now is wondering how much crafting should there be overall. Most items are either looted or gained via turn-ins from Exploration/PVP Badges and later at max level from Marks/Emblems. How much choice should crafting give a player. How expensive/time consuming should leveling crafting be. How many items should a player use per rank. Naturally the player is still limited by the item restriction that is inherent thus he still needs credits in order to outfit himself with equipment that he cant produce.

But I wonder how detailed a crafting system should go.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-01-2010, 02:45 PM
I suggested a few things similar:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=164425

Feel free to borrow what you like as I was never able to get that thread to take off.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-01-2010, 02:46 PM
I love this.

My Science Captain started to develop his crafting skill, but I found it too expensive, in time, in EC, in effort. I found that it was faster and easier to find the items in stores or on the Exchange.

I've thought about going back and just grinding out the ranks and being able to craft anything, but, it's still not worth it.

The idea of being able to specialize, and then market my goods to friends and the player base at large (on the exchange), however, is very tempting.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Darren, did they every actually update the crafting system in season two?
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-02-2010, 06:22 AM
I would also like to see special crafting places set up.

Utopia Planitia Yard for Ship Architect,
Vulcan Science Academy for Astro Systems Designer
Daystrom Institute for Weapon Developer

and maybe add something like an Andorian Special Forces Research Base.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-08-2010, 04:36 PM
*jumps up and down on the bed*

All of this sounds like good stuff to me (Darren's included) and would like to see it implemented!
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-08-2010, 05:25 PM
This sounds pretty good; however, for your "salvager", the very nature of salvage means it doesn't really have a specific owner. If you're out blowing ships up and I come along and salvage the wrecks ... that's pretty much how it goes. The loot can be yours, sure, but remember - by implementing this type of mechanic you may be opening yourself up to an "EVE-like" experience; albeit just a sliver anyway.

BUT ... the miner/mining idea would be awesome! Clean up all those maps and get rid of "wall of asteroids"...
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-08-2010, 05:56 PM
I agree, this sounds like a good idea. The crafting system needs more incentive for people to use it, and more involved ideas such as this would go a long way towards solving it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealKillerSD
This sounds pretty good; however, for your "salvager", the very nature of salvage means it doesn't really have a specific owner. If you're out blowing ships up and I come along and salvage the wrecks ... that's pretty much how it goes. The loot can be yours, sure, but remember - by implementing this type of mechanic you may be opening yourself up to an "EVE-like" experience; albeit just a sliver anyway.

BUT ... the miner/mining idea would be awesome! Clean up all those maps and get rid of "wall of asteroids"...
The salvager idea mainly comes from the Skinning Profession in WoW. At initial release of WoW loot rights and skinning were not equal and people could steal another persons kills. It was a form of griefing since same faction members could do it to each other and also higher levels on lower levels. Thus, I included the tag of loot rights with salvage.

PVE mobs only though for salvage. I don't like the idea of PVPers farming each other for salvage either.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icesavage
Darren, did they every actually update the crafting system in season two?
No, they didn't. There were originally plans for a crafting minigame (with a consumables focus) but the game wasn't "fun enough" so they shelved the design (part of the who quality over quantity issue).

I tend to be pretty sneaky as my mock-ups look like they might be a part of the game (due to deconstructing how the interface is made in photoshop).