Lt. Commander
# 1 What's next, Cold Cuts?
09-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Among various other things I'm getting really tired of with this game, there's the 'cute' little word plays that keep popping up. At least it's not like Champions, where the entire game is a bad pun, but really? Did every episode of this weekly arc have to start with 'cold'? It's even sillier than making an STF called the Khitomer Accords that has absolutely nothing to do with that very important piece of Trek history.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-01-2010, 06:57 PM
You are kidding, right? The cold reference = nod to Breen...right? Yeah, its cheesy, but no one ever said people who make computer games are above the cheese.

Come on now...haven't you burned thru all of your negativity and anger at KDF treatment within the other threads? Are you now to the point that you've decided to snipe down on the names of the episodes?

If you hate everything about this game (and it is just a game), its probably not healthy for you to spend so much time thinking/posting/raging about it. Anything new coming out that you might try to not hate?

EDIT: Spelling correction
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Well they clearly are overusing "cold" puns, and they did the same in Champs with some of them, the PSI missions come to mind, but overall they aren't a bad thing.

Khitomer Accord is particularly clever in my opinion. If you think its called "The Khitomer Accords" then you'd obviously be disappointed, but its not, its "Khitomer Accord". And it is clever because its a direct tie in to the tutorial, the explanation for all the damaged Borg there, and reference to the place it all started, on board the USS Khitomer.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrocks
Well they clearly are overusing "cold" puns...
Yeah, I know...but is that really something we need yet another whine-thread over? Episode names?
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-02-2010, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam View Post
You are kidding, right? The cold reference = nod to Breen...right? Yeah, its cheesy, but no one ever said people who make computer games are above the cheese.
Yes, thank you for pointing out the obvious. That doesn't make a long string of increasingly stretched puns less silly. Also, I think it disrespects the IP (even though CBS has done plenty of that on its own over the years).

Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam View Post
Come on now...haven't you burned thru all of your negativity and anger at KDF treatment within the other threads? Are you now to the point that you've decided to snipe down on the names of the episodes?

If you hate everything about this game (and it is just a game), its probably not healthy for you to spend so much time thinking/posting/raging about it. Anything new coming out that you might try to not hate?

EDIT: Spelling correction
STO has descended to the point of being only the second game I've ever bought where I've not merely been disappointed by but actively regretted rewarding the developers' half-assed product and bad-faith busainess practices with a purchase. The other game was Galaxies.

So that combined with being a lifetime sucker makes this whole activity a bit cathartic, and seeing people who used to argue agaiinst me flip to seeing things my way every time the STO team pulls something new is perversely satisfying to an extent that trying to squeeze any more enjoyment out of the actual barely-mediocre product isn't. I do miss the days when I still had enough respect for the game and the team making it to try and voice concerns aimed at improving the game... but that ship has sailed and been sunk by a decloaking Bird of Prey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrocks
Well they clearly are overusing "cold" puns, and they did the same in Champs with some of them, the PSI missions come to mind, but overall they aren't a bad thing.

Khitomer Accord is particularly clever in my opinion. If you think its called "The Khitomer Accords" then you'd obviously be disappointed, but its not, its "Khitomer Accord". And it is clever because its a direct tie in to the tutorial, the explanation for all the damaged Borg there, and reference to the place it all started, on board the USS Khitomer.
It was announced in the plural before any details were given. It gave hope that the late-game content might even pay lip service to the K-F war rather than completely ignore it. Even ending the war in the face of greater threats would have been preferable to the silly state of 'meh' that exists with the two battle groups right next to each other. Hell it might actually have been interesting and clever if both Battle Group Omega and whatever that Klingon fleet formation is called had backstory (or mission-story) where they both went semi-rogue to fight together against the major threats even as the politicians insist on keeping the war going.

Besides, the 'accord' part is still nothing but a reference to the now-defunct Klingon-Federation alliance and completely senseless in relation to the STF's content.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-02-2010, 05:17 AM
Quote:
STO has descended to the point of being only the second game I've ever bought where I've not merely been disappointed by but actively regretted rewarding the developers' half-assed product and bad-faith busainess practices with a purchase. The other game was Galaxies.
Just move on then. Wallowing in bitterness is not good for anyone involved.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-08-2010, 12:57 AM
It is truly amazing how some people playing this game and using the forum will ***** about anything.
cute names? How about almost every time Q shows on on the TV episodes?

"Hide and Q"
"Q Who?"
"Déjà Q"
"Qpid"
"True Q"
"Q-Less"
"The Q and the Grey"
"Q2"
Q-Ball

Okay I made the last one up.

* sorry didn't realize a word I used above was a forbidden word. I didn't mean to offend anyone. (especially the female canines in the audience)
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-08-2010, 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRC
It is truly amazing how some people playing this game and using the forum will ***** about anything.
cute names? How about almost every time Q shows on on the TV episodes?

"Hide and Q"
"Q Who?"
"Déjà Q"
"Qpid"
"True Q"
"Q-Less"
"The Q and the Grey"
"Q2"
Q-Ball

Okay I made the last one up.
I'm guessing that last one is a Voyager episode where Q traps everyone in San Dreens(sp?) and they're forced to play pool for their lives/eternity?

Ark
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-11-2010, 01:06 PM
cold sore is the next one....
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-11-2010, 02:09 PM
Personally, I'm disappointed that their imagination stopped at "cold." Think of all the other missed opportunities for lame puns.

Freeze Frame

Cool Runnings

Deep Freeze

Icing on the Quark

There's Snow Place Like Home

Snowball's Chance

Sweater Off=Dead