Lt. Commander
# 1 House system idea.
09-03-2010, 08:19 AM
From what I've seen on the forums there are several KDF players out there who would like to see a house system implemented. While I've seen a number of people say it I've not seen any ideas on how it should work or what incentive a player would have to participate.

My idea is that the KDF should have a number of houses that a player can join. Probably no more than 10. Each house would have an area of specialization (ie. Beam weapons, torpedoes, speed, shield strength, hull strength, etc.) A player would join a house and gain ranks within that house by completing missions and pvp. As a player increases their rank, they can receive a buff (big enough to make a noticeable difference but small enough to not be game breaking) to the stat corresponding to their houses area of expertise.

An alternative to the buff would be to gain access to a house vendor that sells items that increase the stat that the house specializes in.

Its still a rough idea as it came to me last night but I'd be interested in hearing feedback and others ideas on how a house system can work.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-03-2010, 08:44 AM
Two would work for me: Duras (dishonorable dogs) and Martok (Light of the universe & everything honorable)

You might be able to set something like this up via UGC. See The UGC Starbase thread for ideas (in fact, your ideas could work within that framework).
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-03-2010, 09:01 AM
Added to the List
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Expanding on the above, make house vs. house pvp actually between houses. A system could be implemented to track stats on the matches and after a given amount of time, say every month, the house with the best win percentage gets some kind of award. Maybe a temporary title, costume option, or another small buff.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-03-2010, 05:47 PM
House of Antaak

The House of Antaak was a Klingon Great House. The members of this house were traditionally in the warrior caste. One notable exception to this was the Klingon doctor Antaak, who was disowned by his father for wanting to practice medicine. (ENT: "Divergence")

House of D'Ghor

The House of D'Ghor is a Great House in the Klingon Empire. Its enemy for several generations was the House of Kozak. The Great House suffered a major humiliation in 2371, when the dishonorable actions of the House's head, D'Ghor, led to his discommendation. (DS9: "The House of Quark")

House of Duras

The House of Duras was one of the Great Houses in the Klingon Empire which by 2366 had become highly influential in Klingon politics, so much so that its leader Duras (son of Ja'rod) was considered in 2367 for the position of Chancellor of the Klingon High Council.

House of Grilka ("House of Quark")

The House of Grilka was the new name given to the House of Kozak in 2371, after Kozak was killed in an accident on Deep Space 9. Gowron and the Klingon High Council granted Grilka special dispensation to lead the House, as Kozak had died in an accident. Until Gowron granted special dispensation, it was briefly known as the House of Quark. (DS9: "The House of Quark")

The House of Grilka was involved in the Federation-Klingon War and the Klingon-Cardassian War. These conflicts were costly to the House, as they lost starships, lands and warriors. (DS9: "Looking for par'Mach in All the Wrong Places")

House of Konjah

The House of Konjah is a Klingon Great House. On a mission to expose a Founder at the highest levels of the Klingon Empire in 2373, Miles O'Brien's alias, Pahash, was a member of the House of Konjah. (DS9: "Apocalypse Rising")

House of Kor

The House of Kor was a family of high social and political rank and one of the Great Houses in the Klingon Empire.

The House of Kor, led by Kor, son of Rynar, was descended of the Klingon Imperial family. Kor was the last son of the House of Kor, and his death in 2375 marked the end of the House. (DS9: "Once More Unto the Breach")

Let us never forget, Kor the Dahar Marster.

House of Kozak

The House of Kozak was a house of medium influence in the Klingon Empire, led by Kozak. The House of Kozak had been sworn enemies of the House of D'Ghor for seven generations. Rather than challenging Kozak's forces to battle, D'Ghor chose the dishonorable course of systematically undermining the House of Kozak's financial assets and territorial holdings, in a bid to seize Kozak's house.

Now the House of Grilka

House of Martok

The House of Martok is one of the Klingon Empire's most powerful and respected Great Houses, led by Martok and his wife Sirella. Martok himself had not been high-born, as he came from the Ketha Lowlands on Qo'noS, although his house gained significant influence and power thanks to his brilliant military career. In 2373, Martok formally invited Worf to join the House of Martok, after Worf played a critical role in the success of his first mission commanding the IKS Rotarran. (DS9: "Soldiers of the Empire")

House of Mo'Kai

The House of Mo'Kai was a Great House in the Klingon Empire.

In a holoprogram created by the Hirogen in 2374, the Klingon character of Kathryn Janeway was from the House of Mo'Kai and claimed the House would never yield while fighting the Alpha Hirogen. (VOY: "The Killing Game")

It is unknown if the House of Mo'Kai existed in reality.

House of Mogh

The House of Mogh was a family of high social and political rank and one of the Great Houses in the Klingon Empire until 2366 when false documents were produced which showed that Mogh had betrayed the Empire to the Romulans in the Khitomer Massacre of 2346. (TNG: "Sins of the Father")

House of Noggra

The House of Noggra was one of the Klingon Great Houses in the 2370s. It was one of the smaller houses in the Klingon Empire.

Noggra, the patriarch of the House, agreed to take Kurn into his house as a son after his memory engrams were altered to make him believe he was a different person named Rodek. (DS9: "Sons of Mogh")

Taken from http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Great_House
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-04-2010, 11:11 AM
It sounds like a good idea for this house system....
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-04-2010, 12:17 PM
I'd like to see the ideas fleshed out some more. If there isn't a whole laundry list of stuff to do, it'll be like ship interiors that people try at least once, and then most never come back. There needs to be some compelling factors that keep folks coming back and begging for more.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-04-2010, 07:14 PM
My personal idea for a house system uses the diplomatic corp concept from the Fed side. When coming up with ideas for additions I try to use systems that are already in game, because we know they are workable.

The House system would essentially be an alternative rank system with titles and rewards like the Diplo-Corps.
The Diplo-Crops ranks are Attache, Consul, Envoy, Ambassador so:

The first KDF rank could be "House of X" so in my case for my Klink it would read House of Zhang. This rank unlocks star clusters with "conquest missions". Instead of diplomatic missions like the DC we get missions that task us to expand the Empire. These can range from putting down Gorn resistance cells to fighting Romulans for control of areas. These missions will not be drastically new content, but the flavor and motivations will be new. We will accumulate "Empire Points" or some other point system to advance in this system.

The second rank would be "Leader of House of X" (I was looking for the Klingon word for this and couldn't find it, if you know it please chime in). This rank would grant the power to transwarp to Gandala (sp?) station in the NZ.

The third rank would be "Leader of the Great House of X" - This would grant access to the Klingon version of "First contact missions" I'd actually like to see these as similar to the Fed first contact missions, but failure results in combat and conquest. The Fed equivalent rank of Evnoy also grants a transwarp skill, but we don't have that many places to travel to, so we should get something similar, but obviously different.

The final rank would be "High Council Member" and this would grant a new uniform, a BO from an extended selection of BO and another power similar to the transwarps.

I'd like to see this system expanded upon like I'd like to see the Diplo-Corps expanded on as well. I think both systems could easily be tied into a game wide PvP system that involved territory control/influence. But I think the above system would be a great start.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-04-2010, 09:07 PM
I mentioned something on this in another thread that I created, I'll just quote it here:

Quote:
Well I, as well as others in my House, were wondering if we would be able to pledge ourselves to one of these Great Houses. And if so if this would have some kind of effect in game.

Such as; a Discount at certain vendors, getting places on the appropriate side in KvK PvP, or even which missions you get.
The other ideas I, and others, posted can be found here: Ideas for Klingon Gameplay
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-04-2010, 09:22 PM
We're still missing out on what's going to keep players entranced that they want to keep coming back. This a good idea, but we'll need something to make it sing.