Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Can we have a discussion about BOs? Specifically why are they all crippled by the ship you are using while in space, but in ground missions get to use all of their potential ground powers (by rank). It drives me nuts because even at VA I can't use all of my BO's powers unless I change ship class. So I have no incentive to promote / worry about my science officer's upper tier powers because I can never use them.

I think this can change with the addition of Chiefs and 2nd officers, as maybe part of your 2nd officer is the ability to use all of their powers e.g. a universal commander level slot. This could mean I could equip a science officer or engineering officer on my escort and get all their powers! which would be great.

I also know that part of the issue is that too many of the skills are present in BO and not in specific classes. If i could choose or change my captain traits like i change my BO's skills it would give me a lot more flexibility to choose / work for powers that could fit my play style. Say sacrificing sensor scan for tractor beam, instead of relying on BO's to get that for me.

There will of course be a balance issue that can be addressed by upping the bonuses each ship can provide for each specialization. E.g. two deflector slots for science, or a power surge for cruiser.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
08-11-2010, 04:11 PM
The answer to your question is actually another question. Why do we specialize Federation Characters into broad classifications?? (e.g. Tactical, Science and Engineering) When your saying that you don't want BO restrictions in space skills, what your actally saying is that you don't want to classify characters into the established catagories... If you allow any choice of BO skills for your ship, then what's the whole point in having character types to begin whith??? (Which by the way, won't happen, since by Star Trek canon, these are the required fields for the genre...)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
08-13-2010, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
The answer to your question is actually another question. Why do we specialize Federation Characters into broad classifications?? (e.g. Tactical, Science and Engineering) When your saying that you don't want BO restrictions in space skills, what your actally saying is that you don't want to classify characters into the established catagories... If you allow any choice of BO skills for your ship, then what's the whole point in having character types to begin whith??? (Which by the way, won't happen, since by Star Trek canon, these are the required fields for the genre...)
and going by this how come the captain is doing all the work? What I think is we need 2 characters. Players are the "captain aka the ship and number 1. I say number 1 becasue of captains are not supposed t go on away missions but do anyway lol but your number one could be your gap between you and your subordinates.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
08-29-2010, 05:54 AM
I so agree with the op on this. It makes me crazy that i can't use certain skills at bridge stations only because of the ship i chose to fly. Whats the point of training them up if you can't use the skill. But on the ground they can use everything. And you really see how bad this is doing endgame pve. The Borg are a pain in the butt. Be prepared to die alot newbies. I'm really sick of the Borg now. The game was alot more fun in the earlier lvl's. Don't be in such a hurry to get out that newbie ship.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
08-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaikura
I so agree with the op on this. It makes me crazy that i can't use certain skills at bridge stations only because of the ship i chose to fly.
Making all ship types equally capable in all areas is a terrible idea. There is too much of that already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalkura
Whats the point of training them up if you can't use the skill.
There is none; don't do it unless you have BO skill points to burn, or a second ship with the required stations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalkura
But on the ground they can use everything. And you really see how bad this is doing endgame pve. The Borg are a pain in the butt. Be prepared to die alot newbies. I'm really sick of the Borg now. The game was alot more fun in the earlier lvl's. Don't be in such a hurry to get out that newbie ship.
You find space combat on Normal difficult? Really?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
08-29-2010, 02:16 PM
Space combat is fine. Its the ground combat thats a pain in butt with the borg. So now i just let my bo's do most of the ground fighting and that seems to be working out better. Still i think it would have been a better system if the bo's skills were only ranked and not ship stations.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
09-03-2010, 06:26 AM
Hm. If everyone could use the same abilities regardless of ships, then you'd eventually see everyone in pretty much the same ship, with the same configuration and crew loadout.

Its rough enough now that within a certain class of ship you're likely to see the same 'builds' of bos. Everyone with <insert flavor of the month> and <insert stuff like Hazard emitters which are almost required>.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
09-06-2010, 05:05 AM
I like the BO Space ranking system for diversity reasons stated above. However, I think there should be bonuses by placing a BO in a slot that's above it's rank (i.e. making their available powers more potent, or giving small bonuses to the ship.) Promoting an officer for ground combat should also yeild somewhat increased effectiveness in space as well. [A Commander in an ensign slot should somehow be more effective than an Ensign in an ensign slot. Perhaps the consoles of the approipate class should get a percentage boost or such.]

- Have fun
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:55 PM.