Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
09-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh1ngara
without giving to much away can you tell us where the kdf will be able to create our ugc content.
I don't have the specific details of that yet because the tools are still in development. The library of assets will allow you to make content using all the enemy groups and pretty much anything else that is used elsewhere so I don't see a reason why you could have a mission take place anywhere you wanted.

The way you'll get UGC missions is through a remote contact mission system. You'll find the mission you are interested in playing and selecting it will give you the mission and say "go here to start the mission". Players will have various places in game where players can "go to" to start missions.
Lt. Commander
# 22
09-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
This is one of the reason we asked for the UGC engine to be developed in the first place. We recognize that we'll never be able to keep up with player's desire for content.

I've discussed in the past that there is diminishing returns for devoting a ton of time on any one specific piece of content. Case in point the STFs. We spent *the most* time out of all of our mission types, making those STFs (multiple weeks of development for 1 mission) and the problem is - they are very complex to make and ended up with bugs and very few people ultimately end up being able to play them. They are at a point now where I'd redesign them and open them up for smaller teams or cross-faction teams if I had the manpower to do it.

The lessons learned from that is that we can waste a lot of precious content development time making content that is exclusive to a very small percentage of the paying customer base. When you have limited content development resources (which we've always had) it makes more sense for us to be spending our content efforts on either missions that everyone can enjoy or tools that allow players to make tons of content on their own.

This is why you are seeing me spend the apples I have on Featured Episodes and UGC. They are the biggest bang for the buck for everyone and ultimately they help solve the content problem in 2 ways: They provide a base of content for *any* future faction over time, and UGC allows players to create the content they are interested in playing. If that is more KDF content - then players will be able to make far more missions than we ever could.

I really hope that helps to explain our thinking and why we are spending our mission dollars where we are.
Oh I definitely get it, and I honestly cant say I would do it any differently were I in your position with what you have to work with. However, I am slightly concerned about the weekly episodes. While I have REALLY enjoyed the past two, at some people the Feds should be fighting the Klingons, Romulans, and Cardies again, and if you design a mission like that it wont work for whichever of those factions I just mention tries to play it. So are your plans for the weekly episodes to pretty much never use any of the main factions as enemies again or what? Because as much as I have enjoyed fighting the Breen, I DO want to fight against the main factions again too.
Lt. Commander
# 23
Quote:
This is one of the reason we asked for the UGC engine to be developed in the first place. We recognize that we'll never be able to keep up with player's desire for content.

I've discussed in the past that there is diminishing returns for devoting a ton of time on any one specific piece of content. Case in point the STFs. We spent *the most* time out of all of our mission types, making those STFs (multiple weeks of development for 1 mission) and the problem is - they are very complex to make and ended up with bugs and very few people ultimately end up being able to play them. They are at a point now where I'd redesign them and open them up for smaller teams or cross-faction teams if I had the manpower to do it.

The lessons learned from that is that we can waste a lot of precious content development time making content that is exclusive to a very small percentage of the paying customer base. When you have limited content development resources (which we've always had) it makes more sense for us to be spending our content efforts on either missions that everyone can enjoy or tools that allow players to make tons of content on their own.

This is why you are seeing me spend the apples I have on Featured Episodes and UGC. They are the biggest bang for the buck for everyone and ultimately they help solve the content problem in 2 ways: They provide a base of content for *any* future faction over time, and UGC allows players to create the content they are interested in playing. If that is more KDF content - then players will be able to make far more missions than we ever could.

I really hope that helps to explain our thinking and why we are spending our mission dollars where we are.
This candor is much appreciated as is your stopping by our neck of the woods. I understand the bang for buck equation, and as I understand it the design choice of spending time on the weeklies and UGC is not to say you do not want to come back and revisit all the factions with new individual episodes, so all around this is good news.

The only thing I think we desperately need is a "hook" like the Federation diplomatic corps. I believe a House system with a similar design philosophy would go a long way to making us feel more of a separate but equal faction.
Lt. Commander
# 24
Quote:

Well, it would definitely fill in the gap where people have seen nothing as far as Klingon goodies like dahar master coats, veteran rewards. If tis UGC allows us to create things for use in STO, then we might very well have less to gripe about.....
Lt. Commander
# 25
09-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Oh I definitely get it, and I honestly cant say I would do it any differently were I in your position with what you have to work with. However, I am slightly concerned about the weekly episodes. While I have REALLY enjoyed the past two, at some people the Feds should be fighting the Klingons, Romulans, and Cardies again, and if you design a mission like that it wont work for whichever of those factions I just mention tries to play it. So are your plans for the weekly episodes to pretty much never use any of the main factions as enemies again or what?
Not necessarily true. We do want to introduce conflict between our main factions in future episodes. You are correct in that it is tricky because we have to create missions from 2 different perspectives, but there is nothing stopping us from doing this from a technical standpoint.

I'm pushing for the next two series to exclusively take place in locations around Klingon space so that we can start to introduce these sorts of elements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
The only thing I think we desperately need is a "hook" like the Federation diplomatic corps. I believe a House system with a similar design philosophy would go a long way to making us feel more of a separate but equal faction.
I tend to agree with this and why I keep bringing up some sort of territory game. We really need to go back and tell the story of why the KDF and FED are at war and build some content around that whole neutral zone conflict. I'm not sure how fast we'll be able to make this (we've been talking about it for a while) but I'm hopeful that once UGC is available - the constant content pressure will be off my team enough that we can take a breather and work on something like this.
Lt. Commander
# 26
09-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Not necessarily true. We do want to introduce conflict between our main factions in future episodes. You are correct in that it is tricky because we have to create missions from 2 different perspectives, but there is nothing stopping us from doing this from a technical standpoint.

I'm pushing for the next two series to exclusively take place in locations around Klingon space so that we can start to introduce these sorts of elements.
I really look forward to seeing what you can do with the weeklies. I have enjoyed them so far, but if you can push the concept and the Tech to make them even better I'm all for that.
Lt. Commander
# 27
09-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Quote:
I don't have the specific details of that yet because the tools are still in development. The library of assets will allow you to make content using all the enemy groups and pretty much anything else that is used elsewhere so I don't see a reason why you could have a mission take place anywhere you wanted.

The way you'll get UGC missions is through a remote contact mission system. You'll find the mission you are interested in playing and selecting it will give you the mission and say "go here to start the mission". Players will have various places in game where players can "go to" to start missions.

will the ugc be basically a sandbox editor then and if so that adds great amount of playerer dev which alot of us have propably more time to work on, we arnt all masters at it but the shared talents within the kdf diehard is very large pool or talents that we could pass ugc content between ourselves until polished, to this end the zones that could be created uniquely have a great potential to be used by cryptic themselfs to just without looking for a better word plopped in along side omega block so we expand our own gameplay.as in cryptic would supply us with a blank sector or 2 and we give you the dev'd blueprints to go within that zone.

does that sound like a comparison to you and do able.
Lt. Commander
# 28
09-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh1ngara
will the ugc be basically a sandbox editor then and if so that adds great amount of playerer dev which alot of us have propably more time to work on, we arnt all masters at it but the shared talents within the kdf diehard is very large pool or talents that we could pass ugc content between ourselves until polished, to this end the zones that could be created uniquely have a great potential to be used by cryptic themselfs to just without looking for a better word plopped in along side omega block so we expand our own gameplay.as in cryptic would supply us with a blank sector or 2 and we give you the dev'd blueprints to go within that zone.
The design of the system calls for a shared resource library and each player has a set amount of projects they can be working on. You could then share projects with one another and collaborate on them together (although I think only one person can have it checked out at a time). If someone is really good at making environements, they could do that part - then someone else could write the dialog - someone else could make the NPC costumes - and someone else could design the combat parts. It is a slick idea and add in the ratings system and I'm hoping that we'll be able to see some really good missions come up in the ratings really fast once this goes live.
Lt. Commander
# 29
09-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Quote:

Well then that takes care of my concerns as far as that matter goes. Thanks for the replies
Lt. Commander
# 30
09-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Quote:
The design of the system calls for a shared resource library and each player has a set amount of projects they can be working on. You could then share projects with one another and collaborate on them together (although I think only one person can have it checked out at a time). If someone is really good at making environements, they could do that part - then someone else could write the dialog - someone else could make the NPC costumes - and someone else could design the combat parts. It is a slick idea and add in the ratings system and I'm hoping that we'll be able to see some really good missions come up in the ratings really fast once this goes live.
I have to say this comment here has me more excited about the UGC idea than I have ever been. I recently talked an old time LordDave into coming back and I will have to share this with him as I know he will love the idea.