Lt. Commander
# 1 Defera Sector Space Lighting
09-07-2010, 08:51 AM
It seems to me that the darker background and striking contrasting light provides a better appearance to the hulls of ships in the new Defera sector space.

Adding the darkness factor to space and the raw light that exists in the void really brings out the best in the ship models. Very very cool.

It seems to wash the hulls better compared to all the other tones and tints of light effects in other sectors.

Inaddition to that, the hull lighting effects, nacelles and portals seem to be better defined and presented in this sector than anywhere else including instanced encounter space.

So a thumbs up there to cryptic on this.

Don't know if its everyone's cup of tea (hence this thread) but it looks just a damn sight better than the light effects in other sectors.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-08-2010, 03:53 PM
i can only agree on this.

a little more bloom only on the Engines and Windows of the ships might do the trick for the rest of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-08-2010, 11:30 PM
It reminds me of what they did with the refitted Enterprise in TMP. Having the ship be self-lit like an ocean-liner was one of the major changes. While out in the darkness between stars, the ship itself is a beacon. Like this:

http://deer.transform.to/STO/ShackletonADeferi.jpg
http://deer.transform.to/STO/screens...7-17-48-46.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-09-2010, 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mox
It seems to me that the darker background and striking contrasting light provides a better appearance to the hulls of ships in the new Defera sector space.

Adding the darkness factor to space and the raw light that exists in the void really brings out the best in the ship models. Very very cool.

It seems to wash the hulls better compared to all the other tones and tints of light effects in other sectors.

Inaddition to that, the hull lighting effects, nacelles and portals seem to be better defined and presented in this sector than anywhere else including instanced encounter space.

So a thumbs up there to cryptic on this.

Don't know if its everyone's cup of tea (hence this thread) but it looks just a damn sight better than the light effects in other sectors.
I agree it's a great improvement
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-09-2010, 12:14 AM
Yep its much better.

Though my only complaint is that stars in planetary systems need to shine more. With some minimal lens flaring to give it realism.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-09-2010, 12:59 AM
YES, I love what you guys did to space......can we do it everywhere? This is what space is supposed to resemble realistically.

Veyr good stuff Cryptic....keep er rollin.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-09-2010, 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBuck
It reminds me of what they did with the refitted Enterprise in TMP. Having the ship be self-lit like an ocean-liner was one of the major changes. While out in the darkness between stars, the ship itself is a beacon. Like this:

http://deer.transform.to/STO/ShackletonADeferi.jpg
http://deer.transform.to/STO/screens...7-17-48-46.jpg
Dear God, I love this game.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-09-2010, 03:22 AM
I see the same.. In fact less environemental light makes the lights of the ships brighter. that's cool.

Anyway i saw a dan stahl interview in which he said that for season 3 or around it we will get a totally new improved better space navigation area.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-09-2010, 05:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleMinded_
Dear God, I love this game.
QFT.

It is nice to see my ship shining gloriously. While many of the colorful backgrounds are absolutely gorgeous, these darker areas do provide a nice contrast.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teralkaar
I see the same.. In fact less environemental light makes the lights of the ships brighter. that's cool.

Anyway i saw a dan stahl interview in which he said that for season 3 or around it we will get a totally new improved better space navigation area.
Sector Space revamp would be nice. And changing the "Exploration Cubes" into something less predictable would also be very nice. Exploration sectors should be large and have an irregular shape (the inside of the Bajoran Wormhole comes to mind as an example). And our sensors should differentiate between star systems and anomalies.