Lt. Commander
# 31
09-13-2010, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmattson View Post
...ships feel small and get lost in the jumble, doesn't feel like deep space...
I agree, but I have no idea how you're going to make both deep space and the individual ships feel bigger at the same time. Reworking the camera so you can still see what's going on when you're in close to the ship might help, though!
Lt. Commander
# 32
09-13-2010, 06:42 PM
[quote] I agree, but I have no idea how you're going to make both deep space and the individual ships feel bigger at the same time. Reworking the camera so you can still see what's going on when you're in close to the ship might help, though!/quote]
the lighting in the new sectors is darker, which shows off your ships windows and makes them feel larger. There is also a lot less color spam, meaning your ship is much more prominent within the visual space.
Lt. Commander
# 33
09-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Yes. The Pelia and Orellius sectors look awesome, and I love the darker lighting. Both my Defiant Refit and my Nova look _awesome_... though it did highlight the fact that for some reason the Federation logo on my Defiant glows... >.>

But the darker lighting lets some of the other features on the ship really pop, like the window lighting, nacelle glows, etc...

Plus the sectors themselves just look overall better. The less-obvious, finer-resolution grid on the 'floor' of the sector, without any of the coloration, really helps.

If the rest of the sectors end up like Pelia and Orellius, it will go a long way to making sector space more appealing.
Lt. Commander
# 34
09-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckminst View Post
Y[..]. though it did highlight the fact that for some reason the Federation logo on my Defiant glows... >.>
[..]
No doubt. That really irks me as well. I wish they would change that particular "feature".
Lt. Commander
# 35
09-14-2010, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmattson View Post
I'm glad you guys are liking the new sectors! I have a bunch of issues with our original sector space design: it's too bright and kind of cartoony, ships feel small and get lost in the jumble, doesn't feel like deep space etc. I think we addressed a bunch of those issues with our two latest sectors and we're pushing it even further in house right now. I can't wait for you to see what we're working on!
Is there any way we can get all of space, period toned down at some point? It's too bright on missions. Take the Sol system for instance, I know we have a sun and everything, but that ***** is bright, much brighter than in the movies.
Lt. Commander
# 36 great post Mox
09-15-2010, 02:46 PM
oh yes defera defiantly does it for me. now i see the true cryptic and the weekly episode just great idea.

now we are waiting those Vulcan ships and hopefully some deferi ship too. well if we got runabout it will be nice to have those ships as well
Lt. Commander
# 37
09-18-2010, 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorko1 View Post
Is there any way we can get all of space, period toned down at some point? It's too bright on missions. Take the Sol system for instance, I know we have a sun and everything, but that ***** is bright, much brighter than in the movies.
Yeah the star system environments definitely need similar treatment, Sol unfortunately seems to have "creative license" written all over it in spades.
A trip to the NASA website is something I'd recomend as a starting point for the art folks to confirm what space looks like from Earth Orbit :p

Its a shame that, the only tenuous link to feeling your orbiting Earth in the Solar system in-game is the familiarity of the continents of our planet displayed on the surface and the moon which appears to be placed where it is as an afterthought. There needs to be a proximity sphere around planets too to prevent folks just flying smack into them or better yet instant death, but thats no fun lol

On the subject of bloom from system lighting (Stars et all) that definitely needs looking into.
Weird stuff happens from reflective bloom on planets, some, especially gas giants appear like stars themselves at times, so for some this means constantly messing with your graphics to tone things right.

Especially weird effects too if you camera into a planet's atmosphere, virtually going blind trying to swing out of the bloom rage. ^^ Yeah switching off bloom ftw?

So again, like what they are doing in Deferi space, I can only encourage the art folks to do for the star system environments. Getting this right is going to dramatically contribute to the appeal in playing STO for a long long time to come imo.