Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
09-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
That's not it at all.

It's actually a tech issue which prevents this from happening. The difference being that the tricorder scan is looking for interactions described as "clickable" on the map, and then pointing the way there.

Your objectives however are described as "destructable" and so the tricorder doesn't pick them up.

I know... not really cool.

So, what we have is a tech issue, AND we think that we may have a solution. I'm not making promises about a when, or even guaranteeing it will happen right now. However, I did just put a bee in the ear of about half the STO team, starting with Stahl, and they walked me around, we spoke to various different members of the team, and they are going to look to see if it can be done easily. If not, it will take a while longer to get out to you. However, we are working on it!

Thanks,

Stormshade
This issue was very vocally reported when patch 1.0 was on Tribble.

It'd be ... very very interesting ... to hear about the bug report process and how it went from then to now. Kind of like an old episode of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. Where he takes us to the crayon factory. Except in this episodes, it's StormShade and Mr. McFeely taking us behind the scenes to follow a lone bug report (feel free to use mine from back then) and how it went from my computer screen to ...

This post today?
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh1ngara
can you explain then why the kdf scanner turns blue in the defri sector and works, we know its using the fed tricorder and dosnt show us any things that are collectable just the quest items ? so if there is a techincal issue that i cannot understand as the scanner looks for quest items/points or collectable stuff and if there is no collectable stuff it simply points at the quest point/item only or nothing at all.
That's the thing. Klingon missions involve "destructible" things - not collectible ones. The different flags mean changing flags on the items or having the KDF scanner include destructibles. Keep in mind that destructibles include other objects on a level other than objectives.
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh1ngara
can you explain then why the kdf scanner turns blue in the defri sector and works, we know its using the fed tricorder and dosnt show us any things that are collectable just the quest items ? so if there is a techincal issue that i cannot understand as the scanner looks for quest items/points or collectable stuff and if there is no collectable stuff it simply points at the quest point/item only or nothing at all.
Does it, I hadn't noticed. It would just be bizarre for the tricorder to be a part of the local map code ... that wouldn't be good for duplication at all, especially if you have different basic map types. Clearly something that I should look into for myself on the morrow.
Lt. Commander
# 14
I'll just add that tricorder scanning was a fairly late addition to the game - late in Open Beta, I believe, and I think it was a fairly "quick and dirty" implementation. It works very well for what it's suppsosed to do, but unfortunately doesn't work so well for Klingons for the reasons above.
Lt. Commander
# 15
Quote:
That's not it at all.

It's actually a tech issue which prevents this from happening. The difference being that the tricorder scan is looking for interactions described as "clickable" on the map, and then pointing the way there.

Your objectives however are described as "destructable" and so the tricorder doesn't pick them up.

So, what we have is a tech issue, AND we think that we may have a solution. I'm not making promises about a when, or even guaranteeing it will happen right now. However, I did just put a bee in the ear of about half the STO team, starting with Stahl, and they walked me around, we spoke to various different members of the team, and they are going to look to see if it can be done easily. If not, it will take a while longer to get out to you. However, we are working on it!

Thanks,

Stormshade
Could you hide a clickable inside the destructable and have it despawn when the destructable does?
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Mr. McFeely taking us behind the scenes
Nuh-uh. Mr. McFeely isn't taking me behind anything...
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Quote:
That's not it at all.

Thanks,

Stormshade
I've had experiences where "clickable" objects don't enable the Tricorder finder-feature, either. Such as the newer missions where you raid Utopia Planitia, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-08-2010, 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
That's the thing. Klingon missions involve "destructible" things - not collectible ones. The different flags mean changing flags on the items or having the KDF scanner include destructibles. Keep in mind that destructibles include other objects on a level other than objectives.
im sorry that dont wash, are you telling me that even though the fed one works in defri and fluidic and dosnt point us at anomilies but at the mission objects, and the fact that the fed one will point you at destructable objects like destroy the wrecked ships. sorry but it dont was, if kdf can have a working scanner in defri and fluidic and the feds can have one that works everywhere then they should just give us the fed scanners and paint them red.

if thats to hard make the points in space for the kdf scanners a waypoint in space marked on the map aswell, when you get to the waypoint it unloads. its not rocket science.
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-08-2010, 04:14 AM
Thanks for the reply, stormshade. I'm not sure everybody here realizes the complexities of coding a video game. I'm sure it's not as simple as changing one line of code, especially since Klingon objectives involve blowing stuff up, and feds don't.

Glad it's being worked on. Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-08-2010, 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardassianNinja View Post
Thanks for the reply, stormshade. I'm not sure everybody here realizes the complexities of coding a video game. I'm sure it's not as simple as changing one line of code, especially since Klingon objectives involve blowing stuff up, and feds don't.

Glad it's being worked on. Thanks!
im sorry but thats false, feds have missions where they have to blow stuff up and there scanner works.