Lt. Commander
# 11
09-08-2010, 03:45 PM
I tend to think with the speed Cryptic can move, they will not be able to "beef up" any system fast enough to stop the bleeding. Mix that in with the super annoying bugs they introduce on a consistent basis like the consumables bug and the broken queue system that take weeks to fix, and that adds to the bleeding big time.
To the OP, PvP is dying, or dead. Less and less matches happen daily.
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrus Pars
hop into our vent. I will promise you you wont worry about balance. I am serious.
I'm sorry to disappoint, but I'm the kind of player that complains about balance if he always wins as well. For me it's just more important to see true diversity and fun for everyone than anything else.
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-08-2010, 08:18 PM
It was even worse tonight then last. 2 fights and no all our group members even got in one of them.. some weird azz bug.

This is just bad.

And from what I hear, many of the feds are refusing to to F V K and are doing in "house" private fights most or all of the time. One fed even told me some of the feds are doing this to avoid fighting my fleet on ground.... Sad really
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-09-2010, 02:19 AM
Quote:
There is no ground community to speak off. My fleet is just about the only Klingon fleet that does ground during prime time EST and even less seem to do it on the Fed side. And Space is not that much better.

To make matters worse, the Q system still blows (no Q system can fix the lack of interest in pvp) so even when we have enough people in the Qs, it still wont pop.

I fear that for the sake of my fleet, We will need to start looking at another game if things dont get better. There just isnt enough pvp here. Which is a shame, ground here rocks and Space is fun too.

I am holding out till season 3. If Cryptic wants to save whats left of the PvP community here, they better do it by then, or I am sure they never will.
No offense...but you are just now figuring this out? There has been a steady and consistent decline in STO's PvP community and gameplay since the very first changes to its system. At no time in its short existence was PvP more widespread, popular, or seamlessly integrated than in the month after release.

As the "hardcore" community began to separate itself from the pack and Cryptic failed to compensate with a PvP ranking structure to divide the good from the bad...players began to leave. Once the population in PvP declined to a point they could no longer fragment the player base through a classification/ranking system they were stuck trying to fit round pegs into square holes. The game had to be dumbed down for the poor players to compete and yet be interesting and fresh enough for the hardcore crowd to stick around. Neither happened...nor is even possible...and this is the result.

The list of top PvP fleets in both space and ground combat that have totally abandoned the game is long and distinguished (like my Johnson). Even the PvP Forum has stagnated with the same three or four posts hanging around the top for weeks. I have stated this dozens of times over the last few months: Cryptic's product survives because there is no real competition right now. Some have gone back to WoW. Others have gotten into SC2 (like myself). Many others are about to move to console games (Halo, MoH, CoD, etc) which will be debuting in the next three months. As the end-of-year console and PC game explosion hits the market and rolls into next year with SW: TOR and ME3 the RP'ers and single player campaign "Captain Kirk's" will rule this game.

Cryptic has made their money. Their top leadership and many on the development staff have already deserted the STO camp for greener pastures at other companies or in other projects within Cryptic. They continually bleed the community with monthly subscriptions for a PvP system that doesn't work and a PvE system that launched with insufficient content and still operates with not enough content to keep pace with demand.

Cryptic took one of the two single largest and most popular science fiction IP's in history...Star Trek and Star Wars...and banked that popularity to a quick million box sales worldwide and literally cashed it in at that point. Everything else for them was gravy and the monthly subscriptions, C-Store sales, the poor duped yearly or lifetime subscribers, and some marginal continued box sales will allow the tiny remaining staff to maintain this ineptitude for a while until the STO universe becomes a vast and desolate place.

Just sayin'...
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-09-2010, 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyXP View Post
No offense...but you are just now figuring this out? There has been a steady and consistent decline in STO's PvP community and gameplay since the very first changes to its system. At no time in its short existence was PvP more widespread, popular, or seamlessly integrated than in the month after release.

As the "hardcore" community began to separate itself from the pack and Cryptic failed to compensate with a PvP ranking structure to divide the good from the bad...players began to leave. Once the population in PvP declined to a point they could no longer fragment the player base through a classification/ranking system they were stuck trying to fit round pegs into square holes. The game had to be dumbed down for the poor players to compete and yet be interesting and fresh enough for the hardcore crowd to stick around. Neither happened...nor is even possible...and this is the result.

The list of top PvP fleets in both space and ground combat that have totally abandoned the game is long and distinguished (like my Johnson). Even the PvP Forum has stagnated with the same three or four posts hanging around the top for weeks. I have stated this dozens of times over the last few months: Cryptic's product survives because there is no real competition right now. Some have gone back to WoW. Others have gotten into SC2 (like myself). Many others are about to move to console games (Halo, MoH, CoD, etc) which will be debuting in the next three months. As the end-of-year console and PC game explosion hits the market and rolls into next year with SW: TOR and ME3 the RP'ers and single player campaign "Captain Kirk's" will rule this game.

Cryptic has made their money. Their top leadership and many on the development staff have already deserted the STO camp for greener pastures at other companies or in other projects within Cryptic. They continually bleed the community with monthly subscriptions for a PvP system that doesn't work and a PvE system that launched with insufficient content and still operates with not enough content to keep pace with demand.

Cryptic took one of the two single largest and most popular science fiction IP's in history...Star Trek and Star Wars...and banked that popularity to a quick million box sales worldwide and literally cashed it in at that point. Everything else for them was gravy and the monthly subscriptions, C-Store sales, the poor duped yearly or lifetime subscribers, and some marginal continued box sales will allow the tiny remaining staff to maintain this ineptitude for a while until the STO universe becomes a vast and desolate place.

Just sayin'...
I been here since beta and you are right. the population overall has decreased. Though I place much of the blame on Cryptic, I also place much of it on fickle players that run to any new shiny game they see because they have an attention span of an amoeba (not all left for this reason but many do).

This post wasn't made because there is a steady decline. This post has been made because in the past 3 nights there has been 3 to 4 fights for us in space and about 3 fights on the ground (we are klingons) This is a drop from 4 to 6 fights on the ground nightly. So starting 3 nights ago, something has changed that is different than the steady decline.
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-09-2010, 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothnang
I'm sorry to disappoint, but I'm the kind of player that complains about balance if he always wins as well. For me it's just more important to see true diversity and fun for everyone than anything else.
Curious what you think needs to be balanced.
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-09-2010, 09:01 AM
Quote:
There is no ground community to speak off. My fleet is just about the only Klingon fleet that does ground during prime time EST and even less seem to do it on the Fed side. And Space is not that much better.

To make matters worse, the Q system still blows (no Q system can fix the lack of interest in pvp) so even when we have enough people in the Qs, it still wont pop.

I fear that for the sake of my fleet, We will need to start looking at another game if things dont get better. There just isnt enough pvp here. Which is a shame, ground here rocks and Space is fun too.

I am holding out till season 3. If Cryptic wants to save whats left of the PvP community here, they better do it by then, or I am sure they never will.
the 2 fleets IKS side I was in were both ground centric and have folded, pretty sad actually as I liked the ground pvp
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-09-2010, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo-6
the 2 fleets IKS side I was in were both ground centric and have folded, pretty sad actually as I liked the ground pvp
Hook up with CHC. We are on every night trying to do ground. Been doing so since beta.
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyXP View Post

Just sayin'...
I've always been a defender of the game but being a PVP Player I can't justify spending $15 dollars a month right now on a game that isn't giving me the enjoyment that it used to. The major players are all but gone due to the lack of new pvp content and sweeping nerfs(some good some bad). I want to play against other people that love the thrill of winning not collecting emblems. PvE is a joke and I'm not going to spend my money to fight the same groups over and over again. I love Star Trek and if the situation changes I'll be back but as it stands right now the game has lost more than it has gained. Its lost the players that made it great. Faithborn, Pjokk, Blackjack, Many of DoB and countless others that I'm sorry I can't think of the names. It was great to play with and against all of you and thats made PVP exciting. Hope to see you all again in the Final Frontier or perhaps in a Galaxy Far, Far, Away.
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Yeah, it has gotten better, but they need to give people REASON to play, maybe PVP can give unique weapons we can't get from any PVE stuff.

Also, new PVP TYPES would be good.

I would like some Open PVP to be put in, where you can "flag" yourself, and just like in random encounters, if another flagged player touches you, both players enter a 1 on 1 battle between you and that player. Whoever wins gets some sort of special reward.

Also, I think Territory Control would be good. (Though Stahl said that they weren't going to do it.) I have seen a good amount of people wanting to do some Territory Control. I think that it would definitely reinforce the "War" aspect of STO, overall, the way that Cryptic is just putting aside something that would reinforce the environment and the mood STO is trying to convey, and a really awesome way to do PVP that could affect how the world is. Also, I think that STO could benefit from a "Star Wars: Battlefront" style of gameplay. Cause, the way that ground combat currently is, that would definitely be something fun.

I also think that Space PVP is basically ignoring the size that some of these battles. Remember the Battle of DS9? The Battle of Cardassia? These are just small border skirmishes and not the huge epic battles that we know. I think that they should try to at least give the FEELING of having big battles. Like having NPC's as part of PVP as well as players, maybe having NPC's take the place of players as well if there are not enough.

Also, I think maybe more complex maps, where you just don't run around of find each other. Maybe they could have defense systems on the maps that you could use as traps for ground. Maybe in Space, cou;d throw ship debris as the enemy to do damage with tractor beam repulsors. Maybe they could have areas where the shields of your ship is drained, or even taken out completely. These are just a few ideas for gameplay.

I also think that they should have more variety in how the game looks too.

I think that they should more animations for ship explosions. Instead of having just one, you have many, and maybe instead of just fireballs, they should have ship parts flying out, like parts of the saucer, or nacelles, or engineering hull, etc.

Also, I think that they should add more animations for damage, like holes in parts of the hull, and the nacelles being blasted off, etc. It would add more feeling to the game, more like you're actually in Star Trek.