Lt. Commander
# 51
09-20-2010, 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTempest
Crafting requires raw resources of some sort -- so let's start with collection of raw materials. For the Feds, these are particles of some sort...for klingons, I think that collection of various metals, and metals with special properties could do the trick.
...and to get an idea of how to collect those various metals in a Klingon fashion, take a look post #30 by me.

No one has replied to my post yet, I'm curious to know what you all think of the ideas.
Lt. Commander
# 52
09-20-2010, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
Including the homeworlds for the Gorn, Nausicaans and Orions and then separating the crafting tech into three different areas, allowing Klingon Warriors to gain advanced technology upgrades from there allies is a wonderful idea. It would also add new social hubs, each of the three new planets would naturally be very unique, compared to the Klingon planets.
Using homeworlds would cause a problem in how long it would take the art department to create multiple locations. I think a single source for the crafting will make it much easier and quicker to get. A prison colony, either on a planet or space station would be the best bet for this. It wouldn't have to be one of the known colonies since its existence could be meant to be a secret outside of the Klingon Empire. It could also be setup in such a way that collecting resources and materials would be the first step in unlocking access to the crating site. A captain would have to gain a preset amount of crafting material to even be given a mission to go to the site.

Quote:
Well there's canon evidence in the first episode I linked that shows Nausicaan pirates attacking / raiding a Y-class freighter for cargo, so there's one idea that could be viable, involving raids that not only utilise space combat, but also ground combat (if the Devs could produce a small freighter interior). You could acquire anomaly samples or possible (which I would prefer) acquire various resources (that are not anomalies) to hand over to the scientists on the Gorn, Nausicaan and Orion homeworlds. Yes I'm suggesting scrapping the use of anomalies for the Klingons, but not scrapping how the system works, just basically replacing the names of the anomaly items to the names of various resources.
Collecting the resources for crafting could also be done by variations on the diplomatic missions from the Federation side. "Aid the planet" missions could become more like "Raid the planet" missions. This could go through a few different scenarios, either a known colony that is under the protection of the Klingons and must supply what they owe the Klingons for protecting them or an unknown colony that is approached about having moved into Klingon space. This could also lead to some colonies refusing to comply leading to ground and/or space combat to reach the goal (it is the Klingons afterall).

The run to different computers to do whatever diplomatic missions could become run to various computers and tear them apart (melee) to get to the technology inside. Again, possible at the resistance of the residents that don't see the Klingon's need for such information.

Whatever is collected could also be random drops from ships and personnel during normal combat missions.

These are some of the possibilities I see in collecting resources in a more Klingon way than just scanning everything.
Lt. Commander
# 53
09-20-2010, 08:14 AM
Quote:
I'm curious to know what you all think of the ideas.
I'm still concerned about parity (#33) and you know what I think of Nausicaan Pirates (#39). Otherwise I like the idea of social hubs, and from #33 we're on the same wavelength about each race having an expertise. Certainly from earlier posts we seem to also have the same idea that "taking" doesn't have to be dishonorable. So, all in all, I liked it!
Lt. Commander
# 54
09-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollarm View Post
A prison colony, either on a planet or space station would be the best bet for this.
I still really do not think that the KDF would research, design or reverse engineer new technology at a prison colony, it just doesn't seem realistic at all.

Quote:
A captain would have to gain a preset amount of crafting material to even be given a mission to go to the site.
It was previously suggested within this thread that a member of the KDF would or should have to gain prestiege in some form or another to gain access to "crafting", which is a good idea, but I don't believe the amount of resources gained would make any difference or shouldn't make any difference.

Quote:
"Aid the planet" missions could become more like "Raid the planet" missions.
That's pretty much a similar idea to the suggestion that I discribed relating to the second episode of Enterprise I linked in post #30.

Quote:
The run to different computers to do whatever diplomatic missions could become run to various computers and tear them apart (melee) to get to the technology inside. Again, possible at the resistance of the residents that don't see the Klingon's need for such information.
Interesting idea, I'm not sure if I can see the KDF tearing apart common computer terminals to retrive alien tech, but perhaps your idea could be used for a much rarer piece of alien hardware at the heart of a base or station. KDF players could possibly fight there way to the tech and / or use common computer terminals to bypass security systems such as force fields, unlock doors and / or look up information on the advanced tech that they are attempting to take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarbasePrime
I liked it!
Thank you, appreciate it and by the way, I also liked the idea of scanning debris, looking for tech that can be salvaged after battle, which you mentioned in post #33
Lt. Commander
# 55
09-22-2010, 07:07 AM
Anything that increases the gameplay of the KDF and future factions has my support. So tired of the fed-first/everybody else to the back mentality of STO.

also a glimpse into klingon scientists;
Quote:
The Age of Expansion
It took the First Empire nearly a century to fully recover from the damage done by the Hur'q Invasion. Recovery was hindered by infighting between the different noble houses for control over scarce resources. Slowly but surely, the Klingons rebuilt their shattered Empire and repopulated their cities. They looked towards space with a new vision. Now they knew there were enemies out there, enemies of the Klingon people. The Hur'q were gone, but they might come again, and the Klingon Empire fully intended to bring the battle to them.

The Klingons embarked on a study of the sciences of flight and space travel. Previously, there was little interest in either, apart from a few scholars who studied the prophecy of Kahless. Now the whole Empire devoted itself to learning how to reach the stars. The program suffered from various setbacks as civil wars split the Empire from time to time, and many early Klingon astronauts died in the name of science, but every effort taught the Klingons a little more.

By the early 21st century, the Klingon space program was well underway. The Klingons used vast slower-than-light generation ships to explore and colonize nearby star systems. These ships took decades to reach their destinations, carrying hundreds, even thousands of Klingons in suspended animation. If they found their destination uninhabited, the Klingons colonized. Where they found other civilizations, they conquered. In time, the Klingon Empire encompassed a cluster of systems surrounding Qo'noS. Governance of this vast Empire was difficult without the advantage of subspace communication, so many of the great houses directly governed colony worlds. This increased the power of the houses and further divided them into separate camps.

In 2069 AD the last Klingon Emperor died without a successor. For a short time civil war on Qo'noS-and throughout the Empire-seemed certain, but the High Council of the noble houses stepped forward to take up the reins of power. For generations the High Council had grown in power and influence, going from an advisory body established by Kahless to the real power behind the imperial throne.

The death of the Emperor worked in the Council's favor, and they decided to secure power for themselves. The Chancellor of the Council assumed executive power and the role of Emperor was left vacant. Klingons consider the death of the last Emperor the end of the First Empire, and the ascension of the Council as the beginning of the Second Empire.
Lt. Commander
# 56
09-27-2010, 12:24 PM
i like all the ideas i read in this thread especially converting the exploration areas in to a conquest area.
gulag idea was nice too same with the regular grafting style scientist system. i think having all 3 would be benificial whats really cannon about all of them is all the ideas show the many faces the klingons had in the shows books and movies. the empire its self was sub divided by the houses.

i saw another thread about open pvp house battle areas, which i would love but i know it will be while before anything like that is developed.

but imagine that your actions effect your standing in the empire, what house you or your fleet align with. conquering for technology or pirating is seen as dishonorable to one house but Duras said its cool and the syndicate doesn't care as long as they get thier cut.

me i have a complete nasican (pirates all of um ) crew, an orion crew, and the only klingon member i have is a half borg captain.

what i am basically saying is that if house mortok doesn't like me, there is always house duras and the cindicate.

although i do believe that returns for taking the honorable approached should be predefined were as pirating and conquest should be random, some times the hualer has gold sometimes it has trash

when i think about some of the other games i used to fly around in empire space (when i went there) in a sensor boosted thrasher with a warp disruptor instead of a shuttle just to pick people off that had bounties. lol wasn't great source of income but if i were going to reship to go back in to 0.0 5+ mil bounty was worth it, caught a few people with 10 + bounty.