Lt. Commander
# 11
09-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John0901
He is not rolling anywhere. He was cremated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Roddenberry
Then the phrase needs be "Swirling in his vase", not that I care as Gene lost all responsibilty for what has happened to the genre upon his passing.
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-08-2010, 03:20 PM
OP:

Good post. The spirit of what you attempted to communicate, ie; censorship of valid opinions being wrong, and that STO needs some deep down cleansing, are well stated.

However, you have to remember... The forums for this game are largely owned by the fans of the game. Most people who find Cryptics execution of the license to be grossly offensive have left. The ones left standing, are those who are ok with the status quo.

That being the case, there is a somewhat insular environment here. (which is odd, considering the Star Trek Schtick has always been about acceptance...) The fans of the game are not interested in rational discussion, and are as xenophobic as any other MMO, and while posters to these forums take great care to disguise their "my post count makes me better" attitudes, with snarky, quasi-intellectual counter arguments, boiled down, it's the same silly hostility for those not like us that exists everywhere else.

So your post was not wrong, it was simply placed in a forum not interested in it, unless they themselves posted it.

Also, you mentioned Cryptic would "lose" buisness off of this. That's incorrect. Cryptic has most likely already made back the 2 years of investment they placed, from the booming sales of The Box That Said Star Trek On The Front, to the C-Store.

Whiskey Echo!!
Mythgraven
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythgraven View Post
OP:

Good post. The spirit of what you attempted to communicate, ie; censorship of valid opinions being wrong, and that STO needs some deep down cleansing, are well stated.

However, you have to remember... The forums for this game are largely owned by the fans of the game. Most people who find Cryptics execution of the license to be grossly offensive have left. The ones left standing, are those who are ok with the status quo.

That being the case, there is a somewhat insular environment here. (which is odd, considering the Star Trek Schtick has always been about acceptance...) The fans of the game are not interested in rational discussion, and are as xenophobic as any other MMO, and while posters to these forums take great care to disguise their "my post count makes me better" attitudes, with snarky, quasi-intellectual counter arguments, boiled down, it's the same silly hostility for those not like us that exists everywhere else.

So your post was not wrong, it was simply placed in a forum not interested in it, unless they themselves posted it.

Also, you mentioned Cryptic would "lose" buisness off of this. That's incorrect. Cryptic has most likely already made back the 2 years of investment they placed, from the booming sales of The Box That Said Star Trek On The Front, to the C-Store.

Whiskey Echo!!
Mythgraven
This is a perfectly honest unsarcastic question. I can see you want to push your views and label anyone that disagrees as having some kind of a problem, but did you really read that?
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Holy bad grammared wall of text, Batman! Let's go down a few of these points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popa
Yes, well wishes to Rod's wonderful talent and the legacy he left us with - he is rolling in his grave because his concepts and the name brand value of Star Trek went down the tubes due solely to Cryptic
Yes, exactly. The franchise was going perfectly before eeeeevil Cryptic came along and destroyed it all while laughing maniacally and twirling their mustaches.

Quote:
If Cryptic didn't have such an enormous ego, instead of blocking posts and blacklisting or threatening members,
Really? The admins run around and delete posts and THREATEN members? Funny how I've never seen that in my almost-two years of being here. If an admin was threatening a member, I'm pretty sure we'd hear about it pretty quickly and that admin wouldn't be an admin for much longer.

If you want to complain or raise a stink about something, fine. You're fully allowed to do that, as long as you stay civil about it. Zinc and Dstahl have said repeatedly over the months, "We don't expect everyone to love our work, and we fully expect there to be complaints. But if people want to complain, they still need to follow the rules of the forum." That means be civil and reasonable.

Quote:
everyone I know is VERY unhappy with STO.
I'm not. I'm in fraking love with this game, and so are most of the people I play with. I even annoy some of my non-Trekkie friends with my incessant stories of my adventures. If EVERYONE was unhappy with this game, it wouldn't exist any more.

Quote:
STO is nothing more than a mod of City of Heroes
Wrong. It's a completely new engine they developed for CO, and adapted to use for STO, part of why the development time was so much shorter than the usual 4-5 years. Are there still limitations to it? Yes. But overall, the engine for this game performs fabulously, especially in space.

Quote:
(we don't really give a lick for Cryptic because they have poorly treated so many of their customers)
Honestly, I'm not sure even Jesus would be capable of showing the amount of patience and grace Cryptic has shown in response to the hundreds of threads of hatred and vitriol spewed at them. I have to give full credit to Dstahl for wading through this forum every day and trying to address the "concerns" raised without losing his hair.

Quote:
You probably will block this post, and I do not know why.
Sure they will.

Quote:
Moreover, you realize that there has not been a single game developer out there yet that hasn't relied on customers to point out the little things that too often would otherwise be overlooked - those are the little details that make or break a game.
And again, Cryptic has shown more interest and effort in giving the players what they want than any other MMO company I've subscribed to over the years (and I've subscribed to quite a few). New playable races WE ASKED FOR. New ship classes WE ASKED FOR. New missions WE ASKED FOR. Gameplay changes WE ASKED FOR. Bug fixes, skill tweaks, maps, UI elements, crafting, performance issues. You can't tell me with a straight face that nothing implemented over the last seven months was due to player feedback.

Quote:
YOU,,,, YOU disrespect your customers.
And you disrespect us by lying and presuming to speak for all of us.

Quote:
Your concept is simply NOT Star Trek.
Says you. I say it IS Star Trek. Oh, hey, look at that. An opinion.

Quote:
I think CBS is going to be pretty disappointed and/or angry when they figure out the truth.
CBS knows exactly what's going on over here. Looks like they're not as upset as you might think, if we're still here.

And that's all I've got the energy for tonight. Hopefully you understand the situation a little better, and please don't presume to speak for all of us.
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Quote:
..... needs some deep down cleansing, are well stated.
Nothing in the OP was well stated. It was a self-satisfying, poorly written "I really know what TREK is supposed to be so why won't CRYPTIC listen to meeeeeee?" whine-rant. The only thing that needs some deep down cleansing is my poor noggin after wading thru that junk.

Quote:
The fans of the game are not interested in rational discussion, and are as xenophobic as any other MMO, and while posters to these forums take great care to disguise their "my post count makes me better" attitudes, with snarky, quasi-intellectual counter arguments, boiled down, it's the same silly hostility for those not like us that exists everywhere else.
Generalize much? You just described every fan of the game as irrational, xenophobic, and snarky. The OP thinks he speaks for some huge, unknown swath of the STO population with his rant about Cryptic disrespecting the customers . You are both wrong. Not every fan of the game is snarky. I am snarky, but I'm just one man...doing my snarky best. Sadly, I can't snark in all of these pointless threads. And as far as the original poster speaking on behalf of the customer, I'd prefer it if he did his speaking with his wallet and just quit paying to play what he clearly feels is a flawed game rather than speak on all of our behalves.

Quote:
So your post was not wrong...
Yes, it was. And we are all a little worse off for having read it.
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-08-2010, 10:55 PM
My previous levity post aside, I agree that the game has it's issues and flaws, but it is a vast improvement from what it was at release, and I think it will continue to improve. The new weeklys are an example of a popular step in the right direction. I stepped away from STO for a couple of months when I topped out at 45, but now I am happily playing again.

As for the threats, bans, and thread closures, anyone can expect that when they spew nothing but hate for the game and offer little or no feedback for improvement. I see plenty of critics on the forums who are still around because they have the ability to voice their displeasure over something in the game without comparing the game or the Devs to fecal matter. If you subscribe to the Dev Tracker on twitter, you would find plenty of Dev post responses to critical feedback.

In summary;

Good: "I don't like this and here's why..."

Bad: "This game #%$# sucks and everyone who made or likes this #%@$ game sucks too."

As always, MHO.
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-08-2010, 10:55 PM
My point stands proven.

Whiskey Echo!!
mythgraven
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-09-2010, 04:03 AM
flamming cryptic isn't the right solution. I'm a star trek fan and i find cryptic did a pretty close to the original work.

I like the constant effort cryptic puts in improving STO. You blame cryptic for this and that ... but you forget without cryptic there would be no STO ... and as STO is actually the only available story link the Star Trek univers (no more seri on air film that relies on a side time line etc... no real actual project to extend and enhance the story line set up by next gen and deep space nine and voyager ... that's a damn fact star trek is old fashioned and stoped making people dream long ago ... mostly things have been done to startrek on past decades (the 90's and early 2000's ) )

Yes STO is not perfect yes it have been release too early but this isn"t the problem of cryptic it's atari who set up the early release beceause they didn't want STO to be in competition with the end of 2010 and 2011 block buster MMORPG to come.

Cryptic tries things you never seen in other games. Some are faillures some are very well done. I think in that issue the influence of Dan Stahl is important. since he arrives we saw less new things added we saw a true effort to fix most the more ennoying bugs, and the featured episodes now are delivered in time without bugs which is a really first for crytic and a sign that things are changing the proper way.

STO is less 6 month old which means a very very very young MMORPG ( in general a failled MMORPG close after 2 years of unsuccessfull explotation)

Do i have to recall too that cryptic bough Star Trek online to another studio which was bankrupted ?
In this condition and knowing that the went on a too early STO couldn't be better than this... really and it's already a chance to have a so great game.

For the part of the customer care ... that's a very important point in deed ... and yes compared to other MMORPG cryptic support is hum difficult to aprehend... First when you submit a bug or a request here on the forum you don't have a reply from the dev team saying: "we got your feed back thank you we will apport the fix to this bug in the next update"

Some of the problems in game are due to a missing structured community too and this cryptic have few influence on that..

For example Crystaline Entity is actually merely impossible to achieve not enought people participating in iit .... the level of reward is uninterresting so most of people just skip it. In my opinion this CE fight should be one of the fedarator action where people takes fun to kick it being 100 in it for example...

This Flame topic haven't been censured so far ...

I think the best ideas are fr the moment under developed. Best ideas are : fleet actions and PVP action.
there is not enought of them and the most of the time reward level is poor ...

Being the prefer role playing game for a univers so rich as Star Trek isn't an easy task to do really ...

Actually most of the flamme is about a lack of achievements, good ideas but most of them aren't properly exploited so it end with an incompleted work in progress feeling...
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-09-2010, 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBzMadDog View Post
well said popa i have had a major problem with the admin/ mods of this forum.. it got to the point i actually have tried to get banned from the forums.
to me the admin/mods on here are little geeks that have been given power & its went to there heads.
your other point is very valid with the flaws this game has & here is what i see is wrong with the game.

In any other game if have played (that has muliple factions) those factions are equal they each have there
plus side & there draw backs.
Right enough most games i have played before STO were strategy games.
AGE OF EMPIRES / AGE OF KINGS / C&C / ST ARMADA even first person shooters where you can play
vs other players.
The opposit factions were always equal not one sided UNLIKE STO.

now i will base this example on a game that is now 10 years + & i hold in high regards ST ARMADA.
you have 4 factions in it
FEDERATION the intro faction
KLINGON / ROMULANS & BORG
each faction had the same amount of ships unlike STO where the federation have loads of ships & the klingons have ..well lets just say they dont have
example at VA/LTG
FEDERATION has access to 10 this is inc the refits the (not inc the galaxy x) in you inc that + the nebula soon to be released it takes the federation ship count to 12.
KLINGON ship count is a total of 5

Now you also have the disparity in the hull & shields the feds have more again than there klingon counter parts.
Now i find this very strange as the klingons are meant to be a warrior race now wouldnt you think that a race who is always at war.
Come up with ships equal to or better than there enemy ships ?.
Now i started playing back on the last week & half of the beta (i didnt come on the forums back then)
I play this game for PVP with a smattering of PVE the game was getting advertised as a war game.
& in the last days of the beta they had klingons & feds in open war yet we have nothing like that in game
now WHY.
Etc...
Hum sorry but 70% of the PVE i made in admiral level federation and the tons of ships they have have been crudely decimated by the klingon's... I even remember one of them scoring a 700K damage on federation's faces.... So see klingons have few ships but if they put some thinking in their fighting ways they are unstopable.

Mythgraven you are not wrong this explain too why the player's community in STO is totally unexistant . But even then I'm not sure that flaming about cryptic and how they misleaded this project is the proper way to make things change and not acknowledging that since march 2010 they really made a big big work in stabilising and at same time bringing new things to the game is unfair I think.

I liked one of the first comments about the expectations build by the "trekies" on STO. When i started playing STO i didn't get any expectations ... Worst of that i made the mistake of reading the zillions of flames made on mmorpg dedicated forum. I was pleased to see in the trial a real effort to make the ingame experience as close as impersonating a federation officier could be. Yes it's too much focused on federation and klingon part is close to the void... But can objectively cryptic makes all the parts at same same time and bring new things. I think for example the day we have the UGC (User Generator Content) the gamer community will design missions missing for the klingon part and then fill the blanks ... this is still a possibility.
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-09-2010, 05:02 AM
Quote:
My point stands proven.

Whiskey Echo!!
mythgraven
Your point is sitting in BS.

I understand that you believe people not accepting you are right because you say you are right can be frustrating and discussions where people do not agree with your views are not rational. However, that is not reason to judge other people and try to discredit them by labeling them as arrogant, snarky, or whatever. Give the poor players a chance because I am sure if more people rant about authoritarian type censorship and cover ups all the players that like the game will stop playing. It is just a matter of time. Fans also need to learn to accept that people who cannot accept that they accept the game need acceptance for their nonacceptance of them.

Since you like reading little stories I made one up for you. It is a sad love story and I hope you enjoy it.

STO was like the love of the OPís life that never knew he existed and by the time he got the nerve to talk to them, he realized they were in love with someone else. In addition to this imagined betrayal, they were not the person he thought they were. Now instead of accepting reality he retreats into his own little world and starts sending harassing letters and sitting outside their house in the hopes that one day they will see that he is their one true love. Sad I know, but I see these types of posts on the forum all the time, but few as horrendous as the OP made.

Acceptance is also about realizing when something is not for you and letting go. I definitely feel the OP should let go and if you agree with what they posted, maybe you should too. Maybe you would prefer to continue to take (not such great care) to disguise your "my opinion makes me better" attitude, with snarky, quasi-intellectual counter arguments, boiling down to the same silly hostility for those not like you that exists everywhere else.
Closed Thread