Lt. Commander
# 31
09-15-2010, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teralkaar
a terkies community
There's definitely no shortage of terkies around here.
Lt. Commander
# 32
09-15-2010, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilCell View Post
Correction, his ashes were sent into space, as where James Doohan's (Scotty).
My mistake, then phrase should be "swirling in a gravitywell somewhere in orbit of Jupiter" possibly.
Lt. Commander
# 33
09-27-2010, 07:11 AM
Popa i'm sorry but STO is much more than a mod of City of hereos or champion online...

That's not because a game engine is shared betwin many games that those games are the same.
If we follow your reasoning, so as the cry engine is shared betwin Far Cry, **** so those games are the same according to you ?

You claim being a retired engeneer and competent programer but doing a bank management software have nothing to do with making a game.

And you are pretty uninformed ... In game industry many many people use the same engine to build their games for example Knight of the old republic was built using the engine of Newerwinter Nights; Mass effect is done using the unreal engine, wich is just the more used engine to make games. Can you say NW1 and
KOTOR are the same games?

For your personnal culture Popa i recommand you to read this page and notice that even if the game engine
is the same the games are absolutly different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UnrealEngine

Making a game involve alot of people teams are in general involving of 50 to 300 people. Budgets for a game is several million dollars. So if you can cut cost you gladly do it !!!

In the particular case of STO you have to notice too it was a project not solely developed by Cryptic but a project made by a bankrupted studio and Cryptic came to make survive this already born dead project.
So when you say the image of Star Trek is damaged by Cryptic. I'm sorry but without Cryptic studio there will be nothing actually around Star Trek unives a part some movie.

So yes they took short cuts. But can they be blamed for that ? I would say no!

For a retired guy Popa I find your flame topic pretty immature and teenaged.. You lack a lot information on star trek and computing area to be able to be called a trekkie or a proffessional in computing.

Finally your post is just yet another troll post absolutly not justified by facts. Anyway you already paid for a game you dislike ... ahahahaha ... Maybe you should have though it twice before spending 300 dollars in that game you hate so much.

One last fact about Popa Kidish attitude is that he never participate here in any discution in a positive way... When you constantly whine and be negative about everything Popa you are what is called a Troll...

Popa i think you started this flame topic thinking a lot of people would jump in the wagon and flame Cryptic but it didn't turn that way so you remain silent to the observations people do to you in this topic.

The only guy who more or less joined you what a convinced anti Cryptic guy. Said in another way another Troll. Blaming Cryptic for every thing without any real motive. He paid too for a life time abonement to this game... I think many of you guys think that paying a life time abonement to this game gives you the right to freely Troll around and insult the hard work of Cryptic.

Lets start a new game called lets proove that Popa is a troll below you can find all the post made by Popa that way you can clearly notice what I stated earlier About popa's constant negative attitude. And after that he comes with : "Cryptic doesn't listen to me, Cryptic censure me, Cryptic admins are the worst Bouh bouh" ... Really...

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sea...archid=2337680
Lt. Commander
# 34
09-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Only a portion of their cremains were, not all of them.
Lt. Commander
# 35
09-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Quote:
That the attitude of a plain moron
Quote:
Popa Moron of the level 51
Quote:
For a retired guy Popa I find your flame topic pretty immature and teenaged.. You lack a lot information on star trek and computing area to be able to be called a trekkie or a proffessional in computing.
Quote:
Lets start a new game called lets proove that Popa is a troll
Wow, teralkaar, you are a prime example of how personal attacks on players by other players if they critique Cryptic is allowed to go on unreported and unmodded.

You guys may disagree with the OPs views, but he did not directly, or personally attack ANY of you. He critiques Cryptic, a COMPANY. He only made GENERALIZED comment about certain player attitudes. NOT about certain players! Maybe his choice of words tended toward the emotional, but he was refering to his custtomer/company relationship. He has every right to do that as a paying customer.

I do not, and will not, ever understand why some of you must belittle and attack anyone that has anything negative to say about a BUSINESS. I do not, and will never understand why the mods allow it to go on all over these boards.
Lt. Commander
# 36
09-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John0901
Only a portion of their cremains were, not all of them.
Haggis anyone?
Lt. Commander
# 37
09-27-2010, 02:17 PM
I find this one hard to chew. I agree completely with the OP bemaoning the activity of admins in 'moderating' posts. I do think STO has turned a corner under n leadership. Dan the man has been doing an awful lot of talking to the community. Loads of interviews and fielding questions sent in by audiences to padcasts. They have upped their game in transparency and it is to their credit. SHow me another game where a person with such a profile responds so frequently in forums and just about every other digital media he can.

As to the substance... well I completely disagree. That may well be that I have played a lot of MMOs and know what to expect. Maybe that makes me more forgiving.

What really hacked me off is hijacking my time by the naming of the thread. You should have the right to maon - but I object to you drawing my eye to with with this title.

I don't know how old you are, but I was brought up on Star Trek, watched and loved it all. STO is not that, but it could never be. What it certainly is though, is a damn sight closer than I ever expected it to be when I coughed up my cash for the game. For me, STO is moving in direction I am very pleased about. And I am able to set aside the time between ceration and now and judge them on their current performance and direction. They got a lot of catching up to do, but you know what - they seem to be doing it.
Lt. Commander
# 38
09-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Restless.Kaiser
They have upped their game in transparency and it is to their credit
I dunno, it also seems to have pointed out...discrepancies...in what they say and have said. It has also left a record that is causing some to notice some negative patterns like promises never realized.

There are also nagging denials now about what was said, and meant, in earlier statements by devs. It all homogenizes into a feeling of being more lip service and not so transparent to some.
Quote:
That may well be that I have played a lot of MMOs and know what to expect. Maybe that makes me more forgiving.
I've played them since EQ and the experience tells me this not an MMO. Not by a long shot. And if it is, it's a poor one. It is a fun game in places and with more content may be worth the money, but they need to stop calling it an MMORPG.
Quote:
STO is not that, but it could never be.
Why not? Just adding a few of the icons associated with the IP would help dramatically. "Phasers on stun", perhaps? How about large persistant worlds to EXPLORE. No, it could be ALOT closer to the IP. It is not because they are selling an engine, not a game.
Quote:
They got a lot of catching up to do, but you know what - they seem to be doing it.
I disagree. The content is still thin as water, the KDF is a joke they don't know how to solve, and the grind areas are torture. PVP barely exists and the game is still so damn buggy I am ready to pull my sub.
If I used all the "special" BOs, my away team would look like I fight for the enemy with only myself in a ST uniform. The new "emblem fodder" is just plain useless with the only real bonuses coming from consoles and they are tiny. I could go on, but why bother.

I keep giving this game time because I am a Trek fan. I am like alot of folks here now. Cryptic knows this. If they continue to ignore the flavor of the IP, they will fail. Mark my words.
Lt. Commander
# 39
09-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Harry - almost everything you say is completely true. There are lots of things wrong with the game. My main point, which perhaps I failed to articulate, was that I think they really have turned a corner. Do they have a long way to go - hell yeah, a very long way.

They lost their way with the Klingons, or more particularly, never had a way. That has and is changing. They added several new missions recently and have refocussed on new content as being faction neutral. This is a much brighter future for the Klingons. The levelling now sucks as a Klingonm for sure, I just finieshed that pain myself this past weekend, but its future is much rosier.

They made a lot of mistakes previously, and they said many things they have not/will not do. There are discrepancies as you point out. All are true, but I don't see many new ones. They are mainly legacy problems. Problems I genuinely believe are being addressed.

Is this game EQ, no. Do I want it bet WoW or Eve Online? No. All games I gave up on in the end because they were exactly the same.

I passionately believe Devs are constantly pulled in loads of directions and many players have utterly unrealistic expectations of what can be achieved. Do you really want worlds to just wander around in with no objectives/mssions/purpose? I have spent time in the social zones as exist presently. They are almost empty. Defari mission space is a cloud of ships running missions. Defari social zone is almost empty of players. This is an example that people may feel they want, but they actually would hardly use. I thin kthe last thing we need is more locations. I think we need more reasons to return to existing places and more things to do in them. THis would greatly enhance player interaction which is very limited at the moment.
Lt. Commander
# 40
09-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Quote:
They lost their way with the Klingons, or more particularly, never had a way. That has and is changing. They added several new missions recently and have refocussed on new content as being faction neutral. This is a much brighter future for the Klingons. The levelling now sucks as a Klingonm for sure, I just finieshed that pain myself this past weekend, but its future is much rosier.
I know they are trying things, but I think it a lost cause and seriously missed opportunity. Faction agnostic is not the answer, it's a bandaid. Klingons are not Feds. That is the point of 2 factions. Two distinctly different game paths that diverge here and there and share PVP. The WoW model is still going strong for a reason.

Quote:
There are discrepancies as you point out. All are true, but I don't see many new ones.
There are new ones and there will continue to be as their buisness model evolves. They are desperately seeking new revenue streams and the new ideas are in conflict with old promises and statements of intent. This will continue imo.

Quote:
I passionately believe Devs are constantly pulled in loads of directions and many players have utterly unrealistic expectations of what can be achieved.
That's true, but many also have great ideas that are ignored in favor of a uniform engine design that will quickly pump out any IP. That core buisness philosophy will always make every game designed mediocre at best.

There is a reason your ship wears a costume and your BO's have powers.

Quote:
Do you really want worlds to just wander around in with no objectives/mssions/purpose?
Of course not. Strawmen aside, I would like persistant worlds filled with alien cities, creatures and missions that I can explore all I want.

You do realize that I represent one third of the entire MMO market right? The explorer. Bliz understood this and made it an accolade because they have a world to actually explore. Not tiny boxes appointed with a few areas of NPCs all laid out for you and nothing else.

Combine this player dynamic to a Trek game that is all about exploration and you begin to see just how far off the mark this game is as an MMO. Especially a Trek MMO.

Quote:
They are almost empty. Defari mission space is a cloud of ships running missions. Defari social zone is almost empty of players. This is an example that people may feel they want, but they actually would hardly use.
That is a direct result of bad design. Providing big empty spaces and calling them "social" is one of the biggest flaws of this game. They were hastily added without content because an MMO needs to at least LOOK like it has a world.

Now they claim Sol system is all ready to go but has no content so they can't add it, fearing another "Vulcan/Risa" problem. If that doesn't show how upside down their thinlking is on this, I don't know what does. And they find themselves in the same catch 22 with Klingon content. "Do we spend the mopney on worlds and Klingon content when no one is playing them after finding out they suck? It is a self fulfilling prophecy and one of the lamest approsches to an MMO I have ever seen. I'm sorry, but that is just the truth of it imo.

Big, persistant areas are vital to any MMO. Filling them with appropriate content and hooked missions and chance encounters is the way it's done. My son just completed a few days of testing for TOR. He tested the Sith area. In a few months, you will see how these zones should be done. Large, persistant worlds ringed by personal instancing. It is truly epic.
Closed Thread