Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Dispatches from PVP-land
09-08-2010, 04:16 PM
I'm mostly in the game to do some RP and writing,/blogging but I decided early on that I wanted to try PvP. I never figured I'd be great, but I wanted to get proficient.

So far I've been doing T1 matches as a fed and I have to say it's been a blast. I had thought I would dislike it, would be totally overmatched by Klingons, and expected to find a lot of negativity and lack of sportsmanship, but everyone I've fought with and against has been great.

I've only flown in Fed PUGs so far, and some have been good, others have been not-so-good. We've almost always been beaten, sometimes pretty heavily. We actually one once and have had a bunch of close matches. The Klingons I've faced clearly know their stuff, but I've taken the repeated explosions of my ship as incentive to do better next time.

None of this is to paper over the problems with the que or the lack of meaningful consequences, but I'm really looking forward to higher tiers of PvP, which I know are dramatically different than T1, more than I thought I would.

Anyway, that's just one view from the peanut gallery, Mk I
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
09-08-2010, 04:32 PM
I love PvP and I had a hard time with Tier 1 as Fed. If you like it now, I encourage you to play at higher ranks.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
09-08-2010, 04:48 PM
T1 Klingons seem to have a bit of an advantage with their sharper turns in the BoP.
Hard for Feds to win at that tier.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
09-08-2010, 05:15 PM
I've lost count of the number of times I've become an expanding dust cloud...so definitely, have to agree that T1 BoP's and their pilots are better than Miranda's and their pilots (in general).

But it has been useful to trying out different weapon configurations and tactics, so I think for me as a Fed (at least for the moment) it's great practice for things to come.

I have found that dropping speed and using evasive maneuvers has gotten me behind a couple of BoP's, but more often than not, I'm pressing so hard on A or D that I'm surprise I don't break my keyboard.

All this is in addition to the fact that (less now than once) I know that Klingon's need Fed's to be queing up, since that's a large part of how they advance (as I've heard and will find out once I start playing one).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
09-08-2010, 05:42 PM
You seem like a natural

I recommend turning with the mouse and binding your powers to the keyboard so you don't have to click them.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
09-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheYak
I love PvP and I had a hard time with Tier 1 as Fed. If you like it now, I encourage you to play at higher ranks.
QFT! I think Commander level PvP has been my favorite thus far.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
09-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory275 View Post
QFT! I think Commander level PvP has been my favorite thus far.
LtC and Cmdr here.. Sadly all my toons are Generals/Admirals.. I often miss the lesser spamming of specials
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
09-08-2010, 08:04 PM
I'm happy to hear that I have lots to look forward too.

I haven't used a mouse to steer, though I've thought about it. I actually don't use the mouse at all. I have everything keybound to my number pad, but I realize this is only going to work so long as I don't have a lot of powers/abilities/weapons. I've also been reading the threads on more complex keybinds (like an alpha strike). The only problem I routinely have is targeting--I have it set so I can tab select off screen targets but it seems like it doesn't work sometimes. I also lose time tabbing through targets to try to find the one that's the focus of team mates' fire.

I appreciate any and all suggestions, thanks to all.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
09-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygod_itsfullofstars
I'm happy to hear that I have lots to look forward too.

I haven't used a mouse to steer, though I've thought about it. I actually don't use the mouse at all. I have everything keybound to my number pad, but I realize this is only going to work so long as I don't have a lot of powers/abilities/weapons. I've also been reading the threads on more complex keybinds (like an alpha strike). The only problem I routinely have is targeting--I have it set so I can tab select off screen targets but it seems like it doesn't work sometimes. I also lose time tabbing through targets to try to find the one that's the focus of team mates' fire.

I appreciate any and all suggestions, thanks to all.
Enjoy it... don't rush it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
09-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory275 View Post
QFT! I think Commander level PvP has been my favorite thus far.
I would agree.

to te OP, Bops have an advantage in T1 pvp due to speed and cloaking, but with pratice both become less so as you play through the ranks.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:28 AM.