Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
I don't know about the rest of the gamerbase, but every time I sit down and watch DS9 (which is mostly what brings this on), I see all kinds of TNG era starships that look really cool and I wish I had them in the game. some of them are simple rearrangements of the Enterprise-D that I'd love to fly:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ns/ds9ship.jpg
While others are more like a longer nacelled, sleeker variety of the Excelsior class (seen in the back):
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...tGenships1.jpg

I also found a bunch in Star Trek Generations and First Contact:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ationsship.jpg
(The above is the USS Farragut seen at the very end of Star Trek Generations)
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...tacthd0271.jpg
(The ship on the right in particular would be nice)
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ontactship.jpg
(That's basically the Farragut from Generations, this time in First Contact)

In short, the TNG, DS9 and Voyager 'era' was filled with ships that basically took the Enterprise-D design and re-arranged, rethought and re-imagined it. All of the ships in those shows had the same style of nacelles, they were just in different orientations and of varying lengths. Basically, I want to see more of the style of ships from that era.

As much as I love the Constitution and Miranda classes the way they are, why not allow us to basically build a TNG version of them? The Miranda class and whichever class the USS Farragut belong to are very similar, why not give us the option of mixing and matching, so I can use those blue and red nacelles I like so much from TNG? The starships we saw flying about in various battles and station shots in DS9 had a very unique and very consistent style to them, and I just want to see more of it still around in 2409.

Is it too much to ask?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
09-09-2010, 03:01 AM
The sleeker variety of the Excelsior class is the Exclsior class. Another of the prominently featured ships is the Nebula Class. The Excelsior is out as Advanced Heavy Cruiser and Advanced Heavy Cruiser Retrofit, the Nebula is to come sometimes this month, IIRC.

The ships in First Contact are basically are Tier 3 Escort designs. (One of them is the Akira. I think one of the ships in your image is called Steamrunner, but I am not sure that was recreated fully in the game. The design is at least very similar to one of the Tier 3 Escort options.)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
09-09-2010, 03:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
The sleeker variety of the Excelsior class is the Exclsior class. Another of the prominently featured ships is the Nebula Class. The Excelsior is out as Advanced Heavy Cruiser and Advanced Heavy Cruiser Retrofit, the Nebula is to come sometimes this month, IIRC.

The ships in First Contact are basically are Tier 3 Escort designs. (One of them is the Akira. I think one of the ships in your image is called Steamrunner, but I am not sure that was recreated fully in the game. The design is at least very similar to one of the Tier 3 Escort options.)
Looking at that screencap, and then comparing it to another episode of DS9 featuring the USS Lakota, which is basically the Excelsior with slight modification, I have to say that the ship in that screencap above is definitely not the Excelsior class. It may have the Excelsior hull, and possibly even the saucer, however the neck appears to be connected differnetly, as it is further away from the hull than the Excelsiors rather squat neck, and the nnacelles are not only further away from the hull and further back, they are longer and thinner.

I purposefully didn't bother mentioning the Akira, as I knew it was already in game. The Nebula class, if indeed it will be introduced into the game, would be fantastic.

Most of all I would still like to be able to re-arrange Enterprise-D sections to perhaps recreate the ship in the second screencap, shown in the opening sequence of DS9. This ship has the same deflector dish look and saucer section, but its hull seems to be thinner, and the nacelles are in line with the engineering hull instead of above or below it. This puts them just below the saucer.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
09-09-2010, 04:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan.Skon View Post
Most of all I would still like to be able to re-arrange Enterprise-D sections to perhaps recreate the ship in the second screencap, shown in the opening sequence of DS9. This ship has the same deflector dish look and saucer section, but its hull seems to be thinner, and the nacelles are in line with the engineering hull instead of above or below it. This puts them just below the saucer.
It seems that all the ships on that picture are a little "thinner". It might indicate some distorted image or maybe it's the dark lighting? I think DS9 used a lot stronger light-dark contrasts then TNG did. ).
The only real difference in the Galaxy from DS9 is that it seems to have some kind of phaser strip or similar thing on its warp nacelles.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
09-09-2010, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan.Skon View Post
I don't know about the rest of the gamerbase, but every time I sit down and watch DS9 (which is mostly what brings this on), I see all kinds of TNG era starships that look really cool and I wish I had them in the game. some of them are simple rearrangements of the Enterprise-D that I'd love to fly:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ns/ds9ship.jpg
While others are more like a longer nacelled, sleeker variety of the Excelsior class (seen in the back):
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...tGenships1.jpg

I also found a bunch in Star Trek Generations and First Contact:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ationsship.jpg
(The above is the USS Farragut seen at the very end of Star Trek Generations)
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...tacthd0271.jpg
(The ship on the right in particular would be nice)
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ontactship.jpg
(That's basically the Farragut from Generations, this time in First Contact)

In short, the TNG, DS9 and Voyager 'era' was filled with ships that basically took the Enterprise-D design and re-arranged, rethought and re-imagined it. All of the ships in those shows had the same style of nacelles, they were just in different orientations and of varying lengths. Basically, I want to see more of the style of ships from that era.

As much as I love the Constitution and Miranda classes the way they are, why not allow us to basically build a TNG version of them? The Miranda class and whichever class the USS Farragut belong to are very similar, why not give us the option of mixing and matching, so I can use those blue and red nacelles I like so much from TNG? The starships we saw flying about in various battles and station shots in DS9 had a very unique and very consistent style to them, and I just want to see more of it still around in 2409.

Is it too much to ask?
The Excelsior along with the Enterprise B/Lakota version is already in
the ship docked at DS9 in the intro/ Farragut from Generation is the Nebula, will be in this month
the First Contact ship you mentioned is the Akira, which is already in

As for mix-matching parts you need to take something into consideration:
The Nebula is to the Galaxy what the Miranda is ot the Consitution refit (basically) however the Constitution is about as lling as a Galaxy's single nacelle, same applies to the Miranda.
Do you havy any idea how stupid such a ship would look?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6 oh boy
09-09-2010, 11:25 AM
okay vulcan. i am only going to say this once. all TNG and DS9 ships except for the ambassador are in the game

akira: in game already along with its sister ships

that other galaxy type of ship you mentioned in the ds9 picture is called the nebula class. in game by 9/23 of this month. secondly the nebula was not a refit but a canon cheaper option to the galaxy. The galaxy took alot to build and starfleet need to assemble ships of that modulation in greater numbers while still building galaxy class. The galaxy and nebula where virtually designed at the same time using the same teams.

excelsior is in game, both types

sabre in game already

soveriagn is in game

steamrunner is in game

galaxy in game already

in short all the ships you show in your pictures are in the game.. here is a picture of majority of star trek ships. http://stromsdb.com/index.php?p=1_8_...Trek-Resources
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
09-09-2010, 04:43 PM
I guess I need to make it more clear that I'm not just saying I want more TNG ships. Everyone seems to have locked onto that as seemingly being the only thing I'm saying.
So let me say this again:
The TNG Era had a very consistent style to the ships present. The blue nacelle lines with red tips. The shiney metal surfacing. The Starfleet red-line somewhere along the body. Everything fit together and everything seemed very related. All the ships appeared to be in the same collection, versus say, having something look very much out of place.

So, what I want to see in STO, is the inclusion of more of this 'style' (for lack of a better word). I want to be able to put those Enterprise-D, flat nacelles with the blue lines and the red tips, on more ships than just the Galaxy. I want to use the classic blue 'eye' shaped deflector dish on more ships than just the Galaxy. I want to put those nacelles underneath a saucer, or above a saucer. I want to be able to turn the pylons upside down on a Galaxy and have the nacelles in line with the secondary hull.

In short, again, I feel like there are all these ships that the Cryptic teams are just making up, such as the Avenger class, with the very strange looking nacelles, and yet we don't have more of the consistent Starfleet feel that we got when we watched TNG, DS9, and Voyager. It's that consistency, that feeling of every ship being made to fit together, that I would like to see.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
09-09-2010, 11:43 PM
In that case: Not gonna happen.

Cryptic basically has to run pretty much all designs for STO through CBS, so your idea is not a possiblilty.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
09-10-2010, 12:06 AM
Forgive me if I don't see how adding a few nacelle options to other ships, as well as pylon orientations and skin adaptations would be forbidden by CBS...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
09-10-2010, 12:54 AM
In beta people could adjust the colour of their weapons using command line, so there were green Photons and purple Phasers.
CBS told Cryptic to disable that ability because Phasers need to be orange, Disruptors green etc.
Do you really put it past them to limit TNG choices of components to TNG ships?
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:14 AM.