Lt. Commander
# 1 GameSurge STO Channel
04-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Oleum was kind enough to set up an STO channel on Gamesurge. You don't have to have an IRC client to chat. Just go to this link - http://www.gamesurge.net/chat/sto

I'm sitting in there right now if you'd like to join us.

As a side note - this is where the Trivia contests are going to be held from here on out.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-14-2009, 12:48 PM
woot thanks Awen!!

(hugs awen)
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Hey! I can see you now! *waves at screen* Hi Awen!
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Very nice Thank you
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-14-2009, 02:07 PM
If you do want a real IRC client, there are a few options.

mIRC will run in Windows.

X-Chat will run on both Linux and Windows.

mIRC does have a 30 day "trial", but the most it does to you after the trial period is up is make you wait 5 more seconds before you can proceed to connect.

X-Chat is completely free, however I find mIRC easier to navigate around and use.

There are a few others out there if you want something different, but these are probably the 2 most prominent ones.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awen
Oleum was kind enough to set up an STO channel on Gamesurge. You don't have to have an IRC client to chat. Just go to this link - http://www.gamesurge.net/chat/sto

As a side note - this is where the Trivia contests are going to be held from here on out.
Errr...while this is "kind of cool", I think the forums are more appropriate for official chat for at least two reasons:

1) moderation(dont really need to explain why it is impossible to truly moderate instant chat)

2) EVERYONE can read what was written on the forums, regardless of whether they are online when the statement is made or not. The live chat alienates all who are not able to be on 24/7 because they miss the comments.

In conclusion, please keep any official statements about the game here on the forums where everyone can have a chance to read them and participate in the discussion at ANY time.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Errr...while this is "kind of cool", I think the forums are more appropriate for official chat for at least two reasons:

1) moderation(dont really need to explain why it is impossible to truly moderate instant chat)

2) EVERYONE can read what was written on the forums, regardless of whether they are online when the statement is made or not. The live chat alienates all who are not able to be on 24/7 because they miss the comments.

In conclusion, please keep any official statements about the game here on the forums where everyone can have a chance to read them and participate in the discussion at ANY time.
As far as #2 I use mIRC and leave it running task manager. It creates a log I can view latter.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awen

I'm curious, Awen. Do you mean "all" the Trivia contests?

What of those who are unable to access the website? Or those who don't wish to hang out in chat channels? Will this mean there will be more alternative contests?
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-14-2009, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
As far as #2 I use mIRC and leave it running task manager. It creates a log I can view latter.
Even if someone wants to leave their program running all day, they still will be unable to take part in the conversation when they get home, like they can on the forums.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Even if someone wants to leave their program running all day, they still will be unable to take part in the conversation when they get home, like they can on the forums.
Very true, I still think IRC is a better alternative to the camping the forums F5 contest of the past.