Lt. Commander
# 1 Warfront Endgame Proposal
09-11-2010, 03:25 AM
Warfront Endgame Proposal
making you feel like you're conquering with the Empire

=================================
(==| Click here to read the main proposal @ GoogleSites |==)
========| note: the website is more detailed and has images |=========

Our Mission:
Propose unique and rewarding KDF content centered around building up your House's standing while expanding the Klingon Empire. It is designed for Klingons first (but can be adapted to the Federation on some conditions).

In this proposal, you can:
  • Conquer and develop colonies in explored systems
  • Develop and strengthen armies and navies
  • Fight other House or fight the Federation

It was said best by General Martok:
"A vital mission, impossible odds and a ruthless enemy, what more could we ask for?"
----------------
Table of Contents
  • Background
  • Gameplay
    • Your Turn
      • Events
      • Conquest
    • Judging the Power of your Empire
      • Action Points
      • Authority
      • Resources
  • Organizing Your House
    • House Rank Structure
  • Appendix Charts
    • Ground Units
    • Space Units
    • Structure Tree (pending)
    • Research Tree (pending)

----------------

(==| Background: |==)
Klingon Houses are set-up in a semi-feudal structure - with a heavy emphasis on marriages, military conquest, and property. It's a rough mix of medieval Europe and Japan and what follows will be largely inspired by the Birthright Campaign setting from D&D (which had a heavy emphasis on bloodlines/faction rivalries/militaries/etc.) and Age of Empires II.

Fighting between the houses is just as important as conquering the enemies. Wise leaders are oftentimes great warriors and this is the fastest (but never easiest) path to bringing your house (and yourself) glory.

There are a number of ways to increase your standing within a House:
  • Increase the number of people in your House (either through conquest or through mutual agreement)
  • Increase the territory and resources controlled by your House
  • Fight in glorious battle!

(==| Gameplay: |==)
(==| Your Turn |==)
There's a daily suite of events and actions that players can take part in. We call this a turn - just like in a Strategy Game or a PnP RPG - except it's presented in the familiar Daily Mission format.

You access the mission dialogue from your Klingon war room (or conference room for Feds).

(==| see the WIP House Interface |==)

Your turn is comprised of two large steps:
(==| Events: |==)
These are the actions that other players have taken both against your House and also semi-randomized NPC events. From corrupt officials, rioting on worlds, famine, and even being challenged for your right to lead!
(==| Conquest: |==)
These are your actions as a Leader of a House or one of its Adjutants or Governors. You are in control during this phase of the turn, though the variety of actions you can take is limited to your status as a leader.

Actions during the Conquest phase include:
  • Exploring, conquering, and colonizing a system
  • Waging war against the Federation (or taking on a rival House)
  • Fortifying your systems with NPCs and Researching improvements

(==| Judging the Power of Your Empire |==)
Your House's strength can be judged by the following variables:
  • (==| Resources: |==)
    what you use to build your House's navies, armies, colonies, and stations.

• (==| Action Points: |==)
    the number of House actions you take during your turn

• (==| Authority: |==)
    the willingness and trust that systems place in your leadership (and it affects the number of people under you in the House Structure) as well as your influence within the Klingon Empire.

(==| Organizing Your House |==)
A Klingon House has its own rank structure, similar to a fleet. From the Great Leaders to the lowliest of Members, a house is defined by the people that comprise it.

Rank Structure:
  1. House Leaders: Any two characters can be House Leaders, either as spouse or unmarried co-leaders. Marriage is the standard method of becoming a co-leader of a House. All actions are available to a House Leader - so long as he/she is fit enough to lead.

2. War Council: Unlike the High Council, a Klingon House can designate as many War Councilpersons as they wish. Keep in mind that incompetent leaders or spies from other Houses may leave systems unoccupied - allowing other factions to alleviate you of your holdings. A War Council also issues warnings of impending attacks or issue "events" to their junior forces.

3. Adjutant: Adjutants help inform the war council of pressing needs within their system clusters. The can also assign the more noteworthy Governors as Junior Adjutants - having proven themselves worthy of Command.

4. Junior Adjutant: Can promote members to governors. Junior Adjutants monitor a handful of systems and their rise and fall are tracked by superiors. Failure can mean demotion is possible - and governors or members may challenge your leadership.

5. Governor: They control a single star system. Leaders who fail their systems will be less likely to be promoted by their leaders as they can see how often they've won or lost in either PvP or Conquests, either defensively or offensively.

6. Member: Lowest rank. YOu are assigned to a system until deemed ready to advance by a Junior Adjutant.
(==| Appendix Charts |==)
(==| Ground Units |==)
(==| Space Units |==)
(==| Structure Tree (pending) |==)
(==| Research Tree (pending) |==)
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-11-2010, 03:26 AM
(reserved for space - trust me, I'll need it).

Lt. Commander
# 3
09-11-2010, 05:05 AM
Good idea.

In addition you should be able to promote a limited number of your bridge officers to captains and let them act automaticaly in this environment providing some additional user generated content (you and other players would encounter them during randomly generated missions). Depending on how sucessful actions of your NPCs are, you should gain a small amount honour/starfleet merits or any other random resources as the one who placed this particular NPC into service.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-11-2010, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woril View Post
Good idea.

In addition you should be able to promote a limited number of your bridge officers to captains and let them act automaticaly in this environment providing some additional user generated content (you and other players would encounter them during randomly generated missions). Depending on how sucessful actions of your NPCs are, you should gain a small amount honour/starfleet merits or any other random resources as the one who placed this particular NPC into service.
I just barely finished adding ranks.

I'm working on ways of integrating UGC (for example, allowing you to build your own ground layout or space layout of a particular system - aside from the planetary bodies of course).

Balancing the units you can train was an interesting game of rock-paper-scissors (more complex for Ground Units as it's several layers deep with overlapping weaknesses and strengths).
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-11-2010, 05:39 AM
Incredible, wonderful.
How do you keep doing that?
Again and again coming up with such great ideas I mean?
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-11-2010, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
Incredible, wonderful.
How do you keep doing that?
Again and again coming up with such great ideas I mean?
I've played a lot of video games. In order to create a good idea, it helps to have a frame of reference - either to know what works or know how to break the status quo.

For example, this thread is heavily influenced by Age of Empires II and the Birthright Campaign setting for AD&D. Those are some solid games that could easily fit the feudal structure of the Klingon Empire.

That's not to say I consider this thread a good idea - just that I've played enough games to know what I like.

My hope is being a systems or content designer after college.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-11-2010, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I've played a lot of video games. In order to create a good idea, it helps to have a frame of reference - either to know what works or know how to break the status quo.

For example, this thread is heavily influenced by Age of Empires II and the Birthright Campaign setting for AD&D. Those are some solid games that could easily fit the feudal structure of the Klingon Empire.
A lot of authors, when asked what a fledgling young author should to to become better and be succesful, suggest (amont not quitting your day job and other stuff) - keep reading.

I think for people that are interested in game design, the analog is - keep playing.
It's one of the best ways to learn what works and how it works.
I remember Monte Cook (one of the D&D 3E designers) being so surprised about looking at how things used to work at TSR before WotC got the license - it seemed no one actually played anymore there. And everoyne into RPGs knows where TSR went and where WotC stands now. (And I would say that their most succesful competitors - say Paizo - do the same thing. They keep playing.)
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-11-2010, 06:18 AM
Well that explains a lot.
At the very leat you know how to present an idea very well so you should not have problems with the interview stage when you apply to a job some day.

I'm more into the ship and weaon area of fictional things.
I've been designing ships and new systems for the old Babylon 5 tabletop (the real old one not "A Call of Arms"), though not professionally or as preparation for a job in that area, only as a hobby.
Nonetheless I believe I understand the way you obtain your ideas/inspiration and how you process them at least a little.
Even though we use different sources for different ends.

I wish you good luck, both with our ideas and of course your career.

And I certainly would like to see your ideas in this game some day.
They'd make STO much more enjoyable, when implemented properly.

And of course: never give up, never surrender.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-11-2010, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
A lot of authors, when asked what a fledgling young author should to to become better and be succesful, suggest (amont not quitting your day job and other stuff) - keep reading.

I think for people that are interested in game design, the analog is - keep playing.
That's a good analogy - partly because I can attest that reading other authors helped inspire me to publish my first book last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
And of course: never give up, never surrender.
I'm humble enough to surrender when I see a better idea from other players.
Lt. Commander