Lt. Commander
# 1 Your take on the game
09-17-2010, 12:20 PM
I am looking into playing STO and seeing how I don't like to P2P I will be getting the lifetime membership. That being said I tried the demo already and the SFC-esque starship battle and the somewhat interesting ground combat that was shown have gotten my interest but a lifetime membership is a big chunk of change so before committing to a lifetime in the Federation navy ( or as many years as it takes to plan my defection to the Romulan Star Empire ^^) I want to hear some opinions from people who've actually played the game: how does it stack up to other MMOs? how fun is PVP compared to PVE? I just wanna hear peoples 2 cents (be them good or bad) on the game cause I can't find a half decent review of STO post content patches from the point of view of someone who likes the universe.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-17-2010, 12:28 PM
The good side is that there are a lot of cool things being developed. The bad side is that this game was released waaaay to early. Take that for what its worth. I would like to point out that if you already like the game, Its only going to get better as time goes on.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-17-2010, 12:33 PM
At the moment, I love the game... and am enjoying my in-game time (which is the only measure I use, tbh) but if I'm being honest, there simply isn't enough content for me to go lifetime. I've been playing a couple of months relatively regularly and am repeating content for the third/fourth time already. So... on the whole... I'd advise forking out for a few months and then see if you want to make the (expensive) leap into lifetime.

Edit: Didn't really want to comment on the specifics of PvP/PvE/etc as I'm weird in what I like in this type of game... or so I've been told
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Quote:
How does it stack up to other MMOs?
As of right now, fairly well. The biggest demerit is that the Klingon experience is so limited compared to the Federation. However, if you bought the game to play a Starfleet Officer, then it's shaping up to be solid.

Pros:
  • Weekly Missions (new stuff every week - why don't more games do this?)
  • Huge visual variety
  • Faithful to IP "look"
Cons:
  • Klingon Faction Gameplay
  • Ground Combat
  • More action-oriented than IP (but MMOs have to be action oriented to be financially viable).
Quote:
How fun is PVP compared to PVE?
What PvP lacks in variety, it makes up for in engaging discussions on build theory and new features being added (Tournaments are in development and Territory Control is in-discussion; new interface is far better than at launch).

The BIG Question:
  • Is it worth the cost?

Yes.

The weekly content, sizable core userbase, incoming player-made mission creator, and continued support are all great cases for the game. The fact that core mechanics are being looked at to improve is another.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-17-2010, 12:39 PM
I am a fan of the universe (TOS, TNG specifically, haven't gotten the chance to watch DS9 or Voyager yet) so logical that I would find a Star Trek game appealing but still curios to see what people think about it. I did hear the game was still getting fleshed out, 2 playable factions is a bit of a downside but that just means it can only get better in time.

What about the community in general? how.. resilient are the trolls? do they pull out borg quotes ? how insane do pvp battles get?

Hmm... any particularly funny/cool stories to tell from PVP escapades or PVE tumbles ?
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTemplarBlackWolf
I am looking into playing STO and seeing how I don't like to P2P I will be getting the lifetime membership. That being said I tried the demo already and the SFC-esque starship battle and the somewhat interesting ground combat that was shown have gotten my interest but a lifetime membership is a big chunk of change so before committing to a lifetime in the Federation navy ( or as many years as it takes to plan my defection to the Romulan Star Empire ^^) I want to hear some opinions from people who've actually played the game: how does it stack up to other MMOs? how fun is PVP compared to PVE? I just wanna hear peoples 2 cents (be them good or bad) on the game cause I can't find a half decent review of STO post content patches from the point of view of someone who likes the universe.
The only other MMO I played was The Sims Online and that sucked. Totally unfun skill grinding with no purpose.

Star Trek Online is way more fun in the core gameplay - sure there can be repeat missions, but all MMOs must have that, surely? The novelty value is in the Star Trek aspect. It's got references to every Star Trek incarnation stuffed everywhere from TOS, TAS, ENT, TNG, DS9, VOY and even the new JJ-Trek.

One example is the latest feature episode (Cold Comfort) it's only the third week since they started a weekly Star Trek series and it's been mega-fun, both playing it and looking forward to a new thing each week, akin to watching the TV show. Also, the references they had in that episode show attention to detail by the writers - the anaesthetics they list in one part of the game are the ones mentioned in that episode of Voyager when the Doctor is transferred on to the Prometheus and needs to knock out the Romulans with gas.

Also the NPCs in the game can have Trek reference names - like Dr. Jones, who works with the Tribbles and is a decendant of Cyrrano Jones in the TOS episode where they have Tribbles in it. And Damar Kahn the joined Trill scientist - is that the next host of Lenara Kahn who was in that episode of DS9 as one of Dax's ex wives? It's Trekkie!

It's not the flashiest graphics (although they do look nice) or the best game engine I've experienced in offline games (Mass Effect 2 / Metal Gear Solid series are my favourites) but it's functional and devs are constantly working on it based on player feedback.

I wouldn't compare Star Trek Online to other MMOs, I'd just enjoy it for what it is.

P.S. I also went for Lifetime straight away. No way am I paying subscription ever! It should pay off after two years, working out cheaper than someone who subscribed monthly for the same amount of time. When I think of how The Sims Online sucked, had no players and still lasted 5 years (3 of which with zero updates), then Star Trek Online is doing a 1000 times better.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-17-2010, 12:47 PM
If you can find a friend (or two) to join with you and play - this is just about the best game going. Not only is the PvE fun, but the roleplaying opportunites are endless given all the locations you have available (bridge, ready room, etc.).

If you are joining on your own, find a good fleet and make some friends. This game is a lot of fun, but it is 10x better with company.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-17-2010, 12:48 PM
I agree with others: If you like it now, it'll only get better. Especially given some of the cool new things they are working on to revamp some of the less-than-awesome parts.

Space combat is pretty fun. The added tactics of firing arcs adds some excitement. Ground combat is pretty bland, but its being revised and should be born again by season 3 or so (so probably late this year).

Here is why I would say lifetime is a good idea at this point:
If it were to stay exactly as it is, lifetime isn't worth it. However, they have a really good team going who can see what's lacking (with a little nudge from the forums from time to time) and have been doing a great job of making steady improvements. What does this mean: if you get a lifetime, and you grow tired of the game, you can stop for a month or two, come back to play some more, and you won't have lost a dime.

And you get to play as a liberated Borg
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-17-2010, 12:51 PM
It still needs a LOT of work. But it is improving, albeit at a snail's pace.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-17-2010, 12:55 PM
I really like the direction this mmo is going in a I recomend that anyone that is intrested in trying STO try a one month membership 1st to see if they like it the game before lifeing it.

You could also take a leap of faith like most of us did and hope for the best.

It's a great MMO wth a bright future