Lt. Commander
# 11
09-13-2010, 08:43 AM
My main is a female and having her called Sir has never bothered me, though BOs usually either use Captain or her rank. It's jsut military protocol not a genter differentiation sir refers to a superior officer.

Maybe it doesn't bother me because I"m a guy I don't know.
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-13-2010, 12:54 PM
One thing people seem to forget is that in Star Trek (and many sci-fi settings) there are species that either:

A.) Have more then two genders in the species (Andorians, etc)
B.) Have no gender identification (Say akin to frogs or worms)
C.) Have more then one gender per person (Hemaphrodites)
D.) Don't discriminate between the sexes

Starfleet uses 'Sir' as the catchall Federation standard work to address a superior. Irregardless of the Human-ish thinking that every species knows what the heck Sir or Ma'am is.

(This means that Starfleet is not 'backwards', it's backwards to single out a Human gender and use Ma'am still. Just as it's backwards to not use Commodore and instead think that adding lower and upper half makes a tiltle better.)

This fictional 25th century is not Human-only thinking here people.
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deoin
This is a very "Star Trek" thing though. Modern military has sort of cut this out because most female officers dislike being called sir (I tried once and spent 15 minutes at attention practicing the words "Yes, Ma'am" until the officer got bored).

But as always ST is a little behind. They were using the term Commodore as a rank well after the US Navy converted it to a title.
I thought Trek was intentionally behind, personally.

The whole "Horatio Hornblower in space" vibe was pretty deliberate.
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-13-2010, 06:59 PM
Please keep your posts on topic. ~GM Tiyshen
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-14-2010, 09:55 AM
It's an actual suggestion for Cryptic.

If Starfleet allows a liberated Borg to achieve the rank of Vice Admiral and captain a 1000 crew Star Cruiser while wearing a miniskirt (as is the case with my character) they probably won't mind if the bridge crew uses gender specific terminology. Just saying.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~GM Tiyshen
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-14-2010, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythgraven View Post
Please keep your posts on topic. ~GM Tiyshen

/eyeroll

It was on topic.

Whiskey Echo!!
Mythgraven
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-14-2010, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Twilight
If Starfleet allows a liberated Borg to achieve the rank of Vice Admiral and captain a 1000 crew Star Cruiser while wearing a miniskirt (as is the case with my character) they probably won't mind if the bridge crew uses gender specific terminology. Just saying.
*salute @ Twilight*

Ma'am! ~.o

All kidding and gender bias aside it would be a nice touch to have the crew (both BO and nameless wandering crew) be more interactive. It would be wonderful if some of them would salute somtimes, but I'd settle for them just plain standing aside and getting out of my way.
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-15-2010, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deoin
This is a very "Star Trek" thing though. Modern military has sort of cut this out because most female officers dislike being called sir (I tried once and spent 15 minutes at attention practicing the words "Yes, Ma'am" until the officer got bored).

But as always ST is a little behind. They were using the term Commodore as a rank well after the US Navy converted it to a title.
The last time a US Navy officer (female) tried to call me to task over calling her sir, I pointed out that my actions were in acccordance with Naval Regulations (at the time, don't know about now). She argued that I was still wrong. I pointed out that any teaching given that is contrary to published policy is in error and not enforceable as it did NOT have policy to back it up.

She said I had an improper attitude. I would have never guessed.

It is always a good thing to know the rules better than those you are playing against. He who knows the rules, wins.
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMord-ST
The last time a US Navy officer (female) tried to call me to task over calling her sir, I pointed out that my actions were in acccordance with Naval Regulations (at the time, don't know about now). She argued that I was still wrong. I pointed out that any teaching given that is contrary to published policy is in error and not enforceable as it did NOT have policy to back it up.

She said I had an improper attitude. I would have never guessed.

It is always a good thing to know the rules better than those you are playing against. He who knows the rules, wins.
I don't want to start anything negative; this is kinda off topic and kinda not, but I'm curious: if a male superior officer asked you to do something similar that wasn't strictly policy, would you have quoted the letter of the law back at him like that? If so, what would his reaction have been, more harsh, less harsh?
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-16-2010, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Twilight
I don't want to start anything negative; this is kinda off topic and kinda not, but I'm curious: if a male superior officer asked you to do something similar that wasn't strictly policy, would you have quoted the letter of the law back at him like that? If so, what would his reaction have been, more harsh, less harsh?

Twi raises a very interesting point.

This IS off-topic. -.-

Have this conversation in-game. The last place anybody needs, or wants, a "he said she said" gender divide discussion, is in a video game forum. (The point I was trying to make in my -original- post. All Hail GM's!)

OP, your question as to whether or not a junior sailor would have blah blah blah, had the senior blah blah been female, is an attempt to artificially extend a thread revolving around a "hot button" issue that conveniently lends itself to a minor, inconsequential in game feature. There are better places to discuss gender issues, and better topics to discuss here.

Whiskey Echo!!
Mythgraven