Lt. Commander
# 1 cpu upgrade advice
09-13-2010, 01:19 PM
hey guys,

power source is gone, so looking at upgrading some stuff as well one time.

Right now I have an old intel core 2 duo 2.4ghz. 2mb l2 cache or something.

thinking of upgrading to one of these and I'd like some input.

note that all prices are my local prices and not USA currency.

AMD Athlon II X2 Processor 250 (3.0 GHz) AM3 ($205.00)

AMD Phenom II X2 Processor 545 (3.0 GHz) AM3 ($265.00)

AMD Phenom II X4 Processor 955 (3.2GHz) AM3 ($415.00)

in terms of value for money and the speed increase from my current chip, which you recommend is best?

disregarding budget concerns.

is the performance jump of the phenom II x4 big enough to warrant the 200 more dollars?

I usually just play battle field bad company 2 and eve online these days which my current processor handles.

So naturally any game coming out now might give my current processor trouble, but an upgrade to one of the above would obviously better handle a new FPS.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Any reason for the AMD only? I am keeping an eye on both and If I were to upgrade I would build off the Intel I7 processor. 3.06 ghz Quad core ftw.

/geek off
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-13-2010, 01:45 PM
Personally I run a Intel 2.4 Ghz Quad Core and have very little problems. I've been hearing some really good things about the I7 also, and have many friends who have it, and say it works wonders.

One thing to also keep in mind is if you swap the processor you also need to swap your Motherboard and Memory.

Some of my friends have put 12 GB of DDR3 with the i7 and a nice motherboard and say everything runs great.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-13-2010, 01:53 PM
I would also recommend taking a look at Intel's range. They offer more speed/watt and in the end that could save you more money than buying an AMD processor, which are cheaper.

BUT...AMD processors (have u thought about the X6?) generally offer better performance when overclocking and also they are better for general video encoding. I'm not sure how much processing power STO requires, but I would imagine your graphics card will have a far bigger impact. (graphics cards are pretty firmly ATI atm, just in case u are looking for one.) Really different fanboys will give different opinions on which processors are better - as a VERY general rule intel are more energy efficient, but AMD are more powerful. You cant really go wrong with either brand, and the graphics card will have much more of an effect on your FPS, so you would be better off spending more on that.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-13-2010, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzaal
I would also recommend taking a look at Intel's range. They offer more speed/watt and in the end that could save you more money than buying an AMD processor, which are cheaper.

BUT...AMD processors (have u thought about the X6?) generally offer better performance when overclocking and also they are better for general video encoding. I'm not sure how much processing power STO requires, but I would imagine your graphics card will have a far bigger impact. (graphics cards are pretty firmly ATI atm, just in case u are looking for one.) Really different fanboys will give different opinions on which processors are better - as a VERY general rule intel are more energy efficient, but AMD are more powerful. You cant really go wrong with either brand, and the graphics card will have much more of an effect on your FPS, so you would be better off spending more on that.
Very true on the Graphics Cards. I spent a good 400 USD a while back and got 2 Nvidia GTX 260's setup on SLI. Does wonders for my gaming experience. With that I can run STO on full settings and not ever flinch.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-13-2010, 02:17 PM
I use this setup. Works great and somewhat cheap.
Intel Core i7 720QM 1.6GHz (2.8 GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)
6GB, DDR3, 1333MHz 2 Dimm
ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4670 1GB
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-13-2010, 02:27 PM
You mentioned you already have an intel c2 duo as your current cpu. If i'm not mistaken, it's a socket T chipset? You could upgrade to a c2 quad, which is a good bang for the buck.

If you want to overhaul both motherboard and cpu, then I'd go with either a phenom II x4 (I currently have the pII 945 3.0ghz) and something like a 785~ or 8xx mb or (if you can find a good deal on one) an intel i5.

In my opinion, the i7s are great, they really are. 90% of the population (even gamers like myself) don't need the power and I'm happy with my PII x4 945. Basically I've got a euro focus RS and the i7's a gallardo :p The focus putzes around just fine and it's peppy enough.

PS: you mentioned you're concerned with newer games. IMHO your vid card setup will have a much bigger impact in that department than your cpu. Love my ati 5850 vid card. The 5770 is also a good choice, and fairly cheap.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-13-2010, 02:30 PM
My desktop computer is five years old now, so it has got to the point where I game on my laptop as it is better suited to gaming.

My current setup is:

VAIO Z 13", 1920x1080!!! crazy 170 ppi!
Core i7 620M - 2.66Ghz
nVidia 330M - 475mhz (o'clocked to 630mhz...)

3DMark06 - 8000 @ 1280x800 noAA

I find it quite a small computer to game on, but starships are completely crisp due to the high screen res on such a small screen and require virtually no AA. I can have most settings maxed and still enjoy a reasonable 45fps.

Best of all, my CPU temps rarely go above 100C.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-13-2010, 02:30 PM
You and your Focus. Focus! this is about CPUs not cars. :p
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Hi there,

when it comes down to upgrading, AMD or Intel is IMO just a matter of personal preference and "depth of wallet".

In general, an AMD based system comes with a lower price tag (as the entire platform, that is mainboard and CPU is cheaper) and less performance, unless you overclock the CPU.
Then again that lower price tag might allow you to invest money into something you could not afford before - ie a bigger graphics card. Or a 6-core CPU. The AMD 6-core offerings are actually affordable, where you'd have to pay a fortune for any Intel 6-core processor.

An Intel based setup is usually more expensive (a *lot* more expensive if you are looking at a Socket 1366-based Core i7, as the mainboards cost a fortune and you will need a triple-channel memory-kit for optimum performance) but at the same time, offers more processing power.

I'd ask myself - what do I need in the long run. I'd only go for a Core i7 or a Phenom X6 if you need loads of CPU power. Otherwise you are, in my opinion, wasting money.

Otherwise, consider going with a mainstream AMD setup (ie a fast Phenom II X4. Avoid the Athlons - the missing L3-cache will cripple gaming performance) and invest the saved money into a fast GPU, ie a Radeon 5850/70 or a Geforce GTX 460.

Alternatively, look at a Socket 1156 Core i5 based system. IMO that is the best bang for the buck if you want to go Intel (and dont want to be completely broke after upgrading...). Pick a similar GPU as with the AMD offering and you're fine.

cheers,

Zatea