Lt. Commander
# 1 Canon uniform?
09-13-2010, 01:13 PM
Whats the 'official' uniform for Starfleet these days? Since we seem to of moved on from the 2379 gray and black uniform... whats the official word now from on high?
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-13-2010, 01:15 PM
I'm personally a fan of the default uniform thats selected when you create your Captain. Its the only one that looks like an evolution of the previous uniforms and not a throwback to Jim Kirk's early days.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Well, the Voyager Episode "Timeless" plays partly in the year 2390, and there they show this. Note the commbadge.

By the time of 2404, which is very close to when STO plays, Starfleet would have switched to this, a uniform seen in TNG, DS9 and Voyager episodes playing in the future. According to devposts, Cryptic is considering adding this uniform to the game. The commbadge also used by the 2390 variant is already available.

People who don't like it often argue that this doesn't count anymore because the future was altered, but personally I think that it should not affect uniforms (especially since the future was altered so many times and yet the uniforms always stayed the same) - and it won't get any more official than this anyways. Plus, it's a more natural evolution than those leathery "biker jackets".

In the end it's your call, of course. Personally, I'm going with the 2390 variant linked above. I'm using boots instead of shoes, though. Looks very neat.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Yeah, the closest we have from Trek shows is the full-color shirts that, to be honest, almost look like pajamas to me (so I've never been a big fan). As far as STO is concerned, the cover art has the guy in the B-02 uniform, which is an obvious default, though we also see the uniform in-game seem to vary a bit based on the person's rank and even specialty sometimes (beyond just the branch colors).
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
By the time of 2404, which is very close to when STO plays, Starfleet would have switched to this, a uniform seen in TNG, DS9 and Voyager episodes playing in the future. According to devposts, Cryptic is considering adding this uniform to the game. The commbadge also used by the 2390 variant is already available.
I believe that uniform is in the game, a reward for "100 day veterans" (we get the combage).

Personally, I like that Cryptic doesn't have a "set" uniform for this period. Allows for us to establish our own "canon" uniforms. These are mine:

Kovac in Section 31 black. :p This is the basic form for all BO under this captain, with color variations depending on department.
Semmes in command red. As above, every BO under her has this uniform, with slight variations in color.
Indaura in Science grays. I liked this coloration, rather fitting for someone in command of a science ship.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-13-2010, 02:35 PM
In the game, walk around your interior and look at what they are wearing. Another reason we need the ability to set up crew uniforms because if we make anything different, it looks like our characters are out of uniform.

But there was some reference somewhere where uniforms were given a range of choices somewhere.

Now as far as CBS/Paramount go, they probably are still pointing to the last we saw on camera in the prime universe.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archanubis
I believe that uniform is in the game, a reward for "100 day veterans" (we get the combage).
Not yet - but you can vote for it in this dev-poll !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archanubis
Personally, I like that Cryptic doesn't have a "set" uniform for this period. Allows for us to establish our own "canon" uniforms.
I know what you mean, and I love customization just as much - but Starfleet just doesn't look like a military anymore with all those differently clothed people running around. It's not a "uniform" anymore when there is no uniformity amongst people.

Even funnier: Since the Klingons have fewer clothing options, they make a much more organized appearance than Starfleet now!

Oh well, there is no perfect solution to this, I guess. If Cryptic would have "forced" people into a real uniform, they would have complained it's not the one they liked. And since Cryptic obviously wanted to appeal to fans of all the series and movies... Having all eras mixed up and the resulting effect on immersion is simply the price you have to pay when you're going for the lowest common denominator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormstryke
Another reason we need the ability to set up crew uniforms because if we make anything different, it looks like our characters are out of uniform.
Definitively, yes! I'm a little surprised that this has not been addressed yet.

Quote:
But there was some reference somewhere where uniforms were given a range of choices somewhere.
Aye, one of those small flavor texts in the loading screens. According to that, you can wear what you want now. Don't even need a commbadge anymore. What's that? Federation military personnell should be identifiable as such? Oh come on! It's a democracy! Telling its soldiers what to wear would be an infringement on their constitutional rights!

Quote:
Now as far as CBS/Paramount go, they probably are still pointing to the last we saw on camera in the prime universe.
I'd suppose so as well. *nods*
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-13-2010, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
I know what you mean, and I love customization just as much - but Starfleet just doesn't look like a military anymore with all those differently clothed people running around.
As far as I know, Starfleet never really consider itself a truly military organization, despite the weaponry, uniforms, and naval ranking. They can "switch hit" under certain circumstances, like the Dominion War, but they considered themselves more an exploration arm of the Federation than a military one.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-13-2010, 06:38 PM
I'm believing it'll be the TNG Movie Era uniforms with the future combadge, the Alternate Future ones that look like they have the pants pulled up to their mid-chest remind me of senior citizens with walkers that hitch their pants up that far.

As for me, I'll keep my knockoff Ghost Uniform. Don't get much sweeter.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-13-2010, 06:47 PM
Back in the Age of Sail it wasn't too uncommon for captains to have unique uniforms for their own ships. I think officers were expected to more or less conform to their country's standard but since most commanding officers of ships (and infantry & cavalry regiments) were of the nobility and therefore men of means, they often bought the uniforms for the men under their command and so some units had their own unique outfits. I imagine the change to the Starfleet uniform rules being something like this. Each captain gets to set the standard uniform for their ship. All the more reason to give us the ability to set our NPC crew uniforms.