Lt. Commander
# 21
09-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
If it would be the correct division colours, at least. But now we have red for security? I thought this was dropped after TOS. Oh, well, I guess this was done due to gameplay reasons, easy differentiation for players, one colour per role, etc...

Still, on my Fed ship, engineering and security both wear yellow.
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/7893/asaria.jpg

I'm still irritated by NPC Admirals wearing all sorts of colours instead of one. I suppose there is no "Command" division anymore in STO.
It's the same aboard my own ships
Lt. Commander
# 22
09-14-2010, 11:56 AM
In the prequel comic for the Abrams movie (the comic itself taking place in the prime universe) the uniform worn by Data and his crew seems to be the B1 option. So all my Federation characters wear that. With one difference, that being that I've (tried to) make mine black. I'm assuming the artist for the comic went with gray cause that left some room for creasing and shadows.

And it seems to match with what Franklin Drake's running around in. (Though that's one match out of hundreds of mis-matched officers...) His uniform's much darker than mine though. Same environment, put Ereth and him side by side, it looks like one of us has been throwing his uniform in with the white laundry... continuing pet peeve of mine, every time I level a character through that mission and Drake has to stand right on top of me during a firefight just to remind me...

That said, a case I suppose could be made for the Endgame, All Good Things & The Visitor uniform. Even if the problem with episodes where time travel is involved is that the future's bound to be different at the conclusion of the story. Personally I don't care for it. Apart from the fact that it looks somewhat silly, what always bugged me about Starfleet uniforms is how little protection they provided against, say, inexplicably exploding consoles. (Force feedback and high explosives a bad keyboard make.) If on Kirk's Enterprise a maintenance panel blows out near a female crewmember's legs, Scotty'll have to russle up another space-age wheelchair. The First Contact uniforms were a step in the right direction. The Enterprise uniforms made sense as well. And Cryptic's uniforms look like they might actually keep some of that console-shrapnel out of your vital organs. And so I'm back at B1, even if they put the Endgame uniform in. (Unless maybe they get to put their own spin on it.)

Edit: Also, on the division colors... it's actually surprised me how few people ever cried foul on that. Though it wouldn't be the first time they changed colors around (Worf wore red at Tactical for a time). It's possible they reorganized it. The engineers got together in Kirk's day and demanded a new color shirt cause they were always getting killed on the away missions, and that's security's job! Then again, when Starfleet Command pulled a fast one on them and made them share yellow with the security officers. A few more decades of lobbying, and we've got proper redshirts again. It makes more sense this way, what with helmsmen wearing it and all the shuttles Starfleet's always losing. And now at least first officers won't have such a hard time convincing the captain to stay on the ship.

And before I forget, Vice Admiral Toddman (Starfleet Security, DS9 "The Die Is Cast") wore yellow. Maybe red is the rule, but they retain the option to show their roots through their old department colors? (Think about it, Starfleet doctors are more likely to relate in a positive way to a superior wearing their medical-green than slavedriver-standard red.)
Lt. Commander
# 23
09-14-2010, 12:10 PM
I went with the B1 or B2 uniform... Can't remember which right now, but it looks like the one in the comic linked above, because that seems to be a fairly natural evolution of the TNG uniform...

but thanks to this thread I'm going to have to recolor the uniforms on some of my BO's now... :
Lt. Commander
# 24
09-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Heh, yes, exploding consoles.

The problem with any kind of protective gear is that, usually, it's not comfortable to wear. Which is why armored vests are not standard issue in the military. They usually get handed out if people expect trouble, but nobody would run around in it all day long if he's not in a fight.

That being said, the most realistic approach so far was probably what we've seen with the armored security guards in ST II-VI. The guys who are expected to get into a firefight show up with helmets and blast vests, whilst the rest of the crew wears comfortable clothes that don't hinder them in their assigned duties. And don't forget the engineering crews that had their own hazmat suits as well.

Then again, I'm not sure that it really matters if your security guards wear protective gear or not, considering the kind of weapons used by your enemies.
Lt. Commander
# 25
09-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
Then again, I'm not sure that it really matters if your security guards wear protective gear or not, considering the kind of weapons used by your enemies.
Notice how she said 'your enemies'
Lt. Commander
# 26
09-15-2010, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotel
I'm personally a fan of the default uniform thats selected when you create your Captain. Its the only one that looks like an evolution of the previous uniforms and not a throwback to Jim Kirk's early days.
I assumed it's the ones the AI's are wearing at Spacedock on STO. One version for officers the other for enlisted members. This guy's wearing one. ^